Recommendation for a Curry cookbook/resource?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I'm looking for a cookbook (or other resource) to learn about curries. I'm hopeful that there is a book out there that covers different curries from around the world, not just limited to Indian or Thai curries. I have a little bit of experience making curries from jarred pastes and spice blends, but I would like to explore making some of those myself. A focus on regional variations and recipes from different parts of india and thailand would be great. looking for something with recipes plus some context and theory, not just a list of recipes.

I was looking at Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible on Amazon, any thoughts on this book?

Open to any suggestions,

Thanks!

I highly highly recommend The art of Indian vegetarian cooking by Yamuna Devi for a extremely thorough (and delicious) guide to vegetarian Indian cooking (vedic too, so garlic and onion free). Totally will teach you how to use spices!

-regional variations and recipes from different parts of india and thailand-

I'm a bit biased here, but I lean towards Malaysian/Indonesian style gulai/kalio/rendang than the above kare. Instead of books, check out our multicultural Australian broadcaster for free recipes. I recommend beef rendang "curry" aka crack cocaine. Indonesia alone has several ethnic variations with different taste worth investigating. Pop by your local asian grocery for specific ingredients, just don't get too hung up. It ain't the spirit of the cuisine.

I have Madhur Jaffrey's book. It covers quite a variety of recipes from all over the world. It has some history and extra info like you're seeking before going through most recipes. Nothing in great detail but it has some nice recipes that I've enjoyed. Probably not exactly what you're after but could be a good starting point.

Good idea for a book. Seems like a broadly appealing topic
there are plenty of Indonesian cookbooks, as Dutch we have a special relation with Indonesian food and plenty of books in our language. Pretty much every Island (group) has it's own specific recipes and style...Trassi (fermented shrimp paste), Kemiri nuts, rice or no rice, they all have their place in a region but the dishes can be combined without any harm.

Reading the OP's query more closely, I see they are interested in something broader than just focused on Indian or Thai curries. I picked up a used copy of THIS BOOK recently. It has a diverse array of curries from many different countries.

as Dutch we have a special relation with Indonesian food and plenty of books in our language. Pretty much every Island (group) has it's own specific recipes and style...Trassi (fermented shrimp paste), Kemiri nuts

A good substitute for kemiri/candlenuts are macadamia, which we have plenty of here in Australia. Alas, there's no real substitute for terasi/belachan.

Speaking of Dutch, I just made this gulai a few days ago with the help of a Philips air-fryer... Real handy👍

for trassi fermented shrimp paste works pretty reasonable IMO, luckily we have no issue getting kemiri nuts over here (do not forget to heat Kemiri nuts to get rid of a toxin they contain)...plenty of other Asian ingredients are more difficult.

BTW: most things sold under the Philips brand have little or nothing to do with the original company...they sold off most 'brands' and activities (airfryers, coffee makers etc to Chinese 'Hillhouse capital), similar to a lenco turntable...if you buy one now it's a cheaply made plasticky thingy whereas the original is proper swiss engineering that sounds great.

PS: Kambing...is Goat if I'm not mistaken....I LOVE Satay Kambing!

PS: Kambing...is Goat if I'm not mistaken....I LOVE Satay Kambing!

Pardon the late reply, but you're correct. Technically, kambing should be mutton and domba means lamb, but the terms are somewhat interchangeable for a while since the latter's gaining popularity. Availability (live import), softer texture, etc. contribute to the shift. Ordering a kambing guling could be just lamb carcass on a spit and everything else with offal went into gulai curry, heads and all. IIRC, ordering a proper Indonesian goat/kid roast from catering was kind of hit and miss, too stringy, too gamey. etc

Speaking of which, lamb/mutton/veal brain curry (otak kalio padang) is pretty good!

Back