Recommendations for a UK buyer (first serious gyuto)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zatowashi

Reaction score
Hi there, looking forward to getting stuck in here - my partner wants to kill me because of how much time I've invested in learning about knives now that I'm interested in buying some proper equipment!

It's hard to find top knives in England that are not insanely overpriced.

After a lot of research - my favourite option so far is a Kurosaki Shizuku (R2) though I am very much torn between the 210 and 240mm (these run to 215 and 245mm respectively real world). They are a bit overpriced in the UK but it is possible to get both models here. I realise this question has been asked 1000 times but would still benefit from some advice on this, I've even tried to make cardboard knife models to see how the 240 would feel. My 8" chef knife certainly doesn't feel big to me. I'm 5'10" with M/L hands if that helps.

Currently I have a Sabbatier 8' chef knife, Victorinox paring knives (9cm) and a Victorinox bread knife. I am also planning to get a petty and Nakiri in the future to give you an idea of my future setup.

In summary - please help me with:

• Any advice on where to source the Kurosaki Shizuku models at a good price in the UK would be amazing.
  • Similar specced recommendations as alternatives or a steer if you think there is a profile that better suits my needs.
  • Help with 210 vs 240mm!

England

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210 or 240 (struggling with this!)
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I think as it'll be my all purpose knife R2 or G3 would be preferable (I want to experiment with a carbon b2 for my next purchase!)
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
£300, but less would leave some saving towards my next knife/stones etc!

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home cook, but with a penchant for nice equipment where it makes sense - I have a Vitamix that I use daily for example.
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I eat mostly vegetarian food but occasionally deviate. I chop and mince vegetables daily, tonnes of onions, garlic, ginger, chilli and also salad veg.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Sabbatier 20cm (8") chef/utility hybrid that significantly lacks height!
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip all the way.
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I push cut pretty much all the time but occasionally chop - I'm trying to use every opportunity I take preparing veg to practice my skills now that I've read more and watched YouTube vids.
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
My current knife lacks height and also has a French profile - it has a bit of a flat spot but doesn't really excel at anything - chopping often creates accordion cuts so I'd like to get a knife that performs much better at push cutting, chopping and scooping ingredients.
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I love the finish of Yu Kurosaki's knives but primarily prioritise getting a strong performer as this is to be my most used knife.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I want to embrace the Japanese style of knife - wa handle, rounded for pinch grip and balanced at the grip/if anything slightly blade forward.
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Sharpness out of the box doesn't overly matter, potential is more important, push cutting and slicing, food release is a bonus.
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
For every day home cooking, it would be good if it can hold the edge for a couple of weeks - perhaps with some touching up in between.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain cutting board (45x30cm for most tasks)
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I have a 1k/4k combination stone though I'm open to getting better (this is BearMoo - a cheap Amazon brand similar to a sharp pebble)
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Keen to learn more to improve my technique - when lockdown ends I'm planning to go to a knife sharpening class at a J-knife store.
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Purchasing more knife products... what can I say but yes :D. Contemplating a set of Shapton stones (1k/5k).

Since you are in London I would head over to these guys. Take some different styles for a test drive and ask questions. You'll learn a lot and understand exactly what suits you best.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/hello-from-london.47407/#post-705882
Located near St Pancras Station.
Yeah they're reopening in a couple of days so I will be going over there to try the knives in person (much as my cardboard cutouts were a fun attempt to figure it out).

RE the Kaeru - seems like a great value option. I'd like to try and buy something to keep in my collection long term upfront if I can - will see how I go with decision making when trying the knives in person!

I would lean toward 240 if you're unsure. If you're planning on getting a nakiri down the line this will give you more differentiation. And over time you can always make it smaller but never bigger :). Having them in hand will help though.

I would lean toward 240 if you're unsure. If you're planning on getting a nakiri down the line this will give you more differentiation. And over time you can always make it smaller but never bigger :). Having them in hand will help though.
Thanks for commenting! I don't have the most massive kitchen or tremendous cutting boards, but somehow given how comfortable I am with 20cm can't imagine that 24.5 will be unwieldy. My work surfaces are under cupboards and I don't have the biggest board which makes space the only reason not to go bigger. Also I did find a better deal on the knife I'm eyeing at 210 rather than 240...

An undersized 240 ie 220-230 is my sweet spot in the home kitchen. I found 245+ unwieldy and awkward. Then again I'm 5'7" and that probably factors into the equation.

An undersized 240 ie 220-230 is my sweet spot in the home kitchen. I found 245+ unwieldy and awkward. Then again I'm 5'7" and that probably factors into the equation.
Hmm, there is that good deal on one that measures 215... Decisions decisions!

I'm currently thinking along the same lines size-wise as CorradoBrit suggests. Blades from Sakai seem to come undersized, a few 240s I've looked at are around 225 ish, which I think would be ideal for me.
An early purchase was a 185mm Shigeki Tanaka gyuto, which whilst a good knife, just feels too small now. So perhaps safer to go bigger than your first thought?

I looked for a Kurosaki (Raijin) in the UK, and ended up purchasing from Cleancut in Stockholm after having no luck here. Not cheap, but I got exactly what I wanted and their service was excellent and very swift.

UK prices are stratospheric at the mo due to poor exchange rates, and if you import from outside the EU be prepared for a good wallet spanking!

Last edited:
Hey, Shibata is a really good but quite thin knife overall, less food release, depends on the price you will get it for and not really as a replacement for your Sab.
Got the Kaeru White, nice cutter, good fit and finish, pretty nice in hand but handle definitely needs some oil before using it, not super smooth but grippy and feels okay. Good price point, need to add 26€ for shipping, at least to Germany. Probably a knife you won't regret getting even if you buy better knives later on.
Kurosaki is a really good looking knife with nice fit and finish, comfortable in hand, not as laserish as Shibata but still on the thinner side. Like SG2 as stainless steel, not the best food release but okay, the thinner the knife from spine to edge overall the worse will be the food release.
Another option was Makoto Kurosaki in SG2, great price for a good knife, also overall on the thinner and lighter side. Makoto Kurosaki Sakura Gyuto 21 cmMakoto-gyuto-sakura-21198.999988
Then there is the Yoshikane SKD, a Semistainless. Really enjoyed the Yoshikanes I had in hand, right now only own one, and heard good things about this one, edges are slighty eased but for a homecook should be enough, though only 45mm high. Gyuto
Cleancut wants 15€ for shipping.
Last option I can recommend you is the Akifusa PM, nice knife, good cutter, good fit and finish. Gyuto knife, SRS15 powder steel, migaki finish - Akifusa *

I looked for a Kurosaki (Raijin) in the UK, and ended up purchasing from Cleancut in Stockholm after having no luck here. Not cheap, but I got exactly what I wanted and their service was excellent and very swift.

UK prices are stratospheric at the mo due to poor exchange rates, and if you import from outside the EU be prepared for a good wallet spanking!
Hi Copacetic!
What size Rajin did you get and how did you find it? Cleancut do have the knives I'm thinking of in stock - agree the pricing is quite high but I'm willing to stretch to get a long term keeper...

Hi Copacetic!
What size Rajin did you get and how did you find it? Cleancut do have the knives I'm thinking of in stock - agree the pricing is quite high but I'm willing to stretch to get a long term keeper...
Got the Raijin Nakiri, overall thin and fun knife. Although the steel feels fragile and brittle, cling. Only nicked the heel a tiny bit and never had a problem with chipping or anything and I feel when I need to stop so I'm not torquing it. Therefore wouldn't necessarily recommend this knife to a beginner.

Hi Copacetic!

It was actually a 270mm sujihiki I got from them, not what you're looking for I know. I weighed up importing from US, Singapore, Japan, and Aus/NZ. Once import duty and VAT was taken into account, there was little difference in price from sourcing within EU. Of course, this duty free source ain't gonna last forever :mad: don't get me started!

They've got us over a barrel in the UK, unfortunately.

It was actually a 270mm sujihiki I got from them, not what you're looking for I know. I weighed up importing from US, Singapore, Japan, and Aus/NZ. Once import duty and VAT was taken into account, there was little difference in price from sourcing within EU. Of course, this duty free source ain't gonna last forever :mad: don't get me started!

Look on the brightside. Hopefully we can drop the silly 25% tariff on Scotch whisky once you're officially out of the EU

Yeah tell me about it! I think prices were massively more favourable going back a while. Real world we'll probably be paying 30% more, madness.

Got the Raijin Nakiri, overall thin and fun knife. Although the steel feels fragile and brittle, cling. Only nicked the heel a tiny bit and never had a problem with chipping or anything and I feel when I need to stop so I'm not torquing it. Therefore wouldn't necessarily recommend this knife to a beginner.
I think the Rajin runs thinner than the Shizuku from what I've read, could be mistaken... Seen some different theories about cobalt special steel suggesting that it's upgraded vg10 but not sure. Hoping that the slightly thicker profile and R2 will make it less delicate overall!

I think the Rajin runs thinner than the Shizuku from what I've read, could be mistaken... Seen some different theories about cobalt special steel suggesting that it's upgraded vg10 but not sure. Hoping that the slightly thicker profile and R2 will make it less delicate overall!
The R2 one is definitely more robust, having handled both steels.

I have the R2 shizuku in a Bunka. While it is an absolute amazing performer I wouldn't recommend it as a main knife. It is so thin I have to be very careful. I have made it ting a few times on the cutting board and it is the only knife I have ever owned that chipped during sharpening. I highly recommend the knife bit not as a primary knife. Maybe others can chime in if the Gyuto is thicker than the Bunka?

It's not a knife that is currently in fashion, but you could consider a Konosuke HD2. Nice steel, with a good profile (at least in the 210 I've used). I liked it so much I just bought a 240.

I actually ordered mine from here: Cutting Edge Knives UK and was happy with the service, and for the 210 the price was the best I could find anywhere in the world.

I recently got a Kurosaki R2 Hammered 240mm as my first serious gyuto. It's been awesome so far, no regrets at all. Love it so much I'm going to spend some extra money and put a custom handle on it. It doesn't feel fragile, but it sure feels light, especially as I was using CCK and thin 7" VG10 Chinese cleavers before.

https://www.**************.com/kur2hadagy24.html

IMG_5552.jpg

I have the R2 shizuku in a Bunka. While it is an absolute amazing performer I wouldn't recommend it as a main knife. It is so thin I have to be very careful. I have made it ting a few times on the cutting board and it is the only knife I have ever owned that chipped during sharpening. I highly recommend the knife bit not as a primary knife. Maybe others can chime in if the Gyuto is thicker than the Bunka?
Oh wow, that's interesting - I hadn't heard any complaints of chippiness with the R2 gyutos from Kurosaki...

It's not a knife that is currently in fashion, but you could consider a Konosuke HD2. Nice steel, with a good profile (at least in the 210 I've used). I liked it so much I just bought a 240.

I actually ordered mine from here: Cutting Edge Knives UK and was happy with the service, and for the 210 the price was the best I could find anywhere in the world.
Yeah their prices are good - I got into a bit of an email exchange with one of the owners and trying to restock is proving very difficult for them (Covid/rising demand against slow supply) etc. They do have an HD2 in stock in 240mm though...

Yeah their prices are good - I got into a bit of an email exchange with one of the owners and trying to restock is proving very difficult for them (Covid/rising demand against slow supply) etc. They do have an HD2 in stock in 240mm though...

I think that is a problem for a lot of vendors right now.

I was on their site the other day, and the 240 wasn't in stock, so it seems they are getting some stuff in. I'd just add a watch on their site for a product if your interested in an item and can wait.

I’m also in the UK, I have the Shizuku in 240 and use it as my daily driver in a hotel kitchen (well, back in real life anyway...)
I’ve not found it chippy, I’ve actually been surprised how resilient it is against squash, parsnips, all sorts.
it is skinny and benefits hugely from the spine being rounded (easy job with a few grades of sand paper)

I agree however that at home when not smashing through 10kg of carrots at a time I prefer my Mazaki @ 215mm or konosuke @ 225.

I purchased from K&S in Australia, was comparable in price to cutting edge (who I’ve also bought happily from but we’re sold out of the knife at the time).

Oh wow, that's interesting - I hadn't heard any complaints of chippiness with the R2 gyutos from Kurosaki...

Not my experience either. I have a santoku thats been performing excellent and does not feel fragile at all, neither when using or sharpening.

I’m also in the UK, I have the Shizuku in 240 and use it as my daily driver in a hotel kitchen (well, back in real life anyway...)
I’ve not found it chippy, I’ve actually been surprised how resilient it is against squash, parsnips, all sorts.
it is skinny and benefits hugely from the spine being rounded (easy job with a few grades of sand paper)

I agree however that at home when not smashing through 10kg of carrots at a time I prefer my Mazaki @ 215mm or konosuke @ 225.

I purchased from K&S in Australia, was comparable in price to cutting edge (who I’ve also bought happily from but we’re sold out of the knife at the time).
Can I ask how much it cost and whether you got hit with duty etc? I like some of the knives on that site but seems like customs could cost close to £100.

Also the Shizuku in 210 runs at 215 - do you think for smaller prep (ie cooking at home) that that would be optimal? I think they're a similar height.

If you wanna save up for another 3-4 months til I get my Kamon custom, I'll sell you a Catcheside forgie for ~£400 shipped (I'm in the UK too) :p

All the Gyuto you'll ever need.

Back