Restaurant obsessed with cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is pretty cool that he features the work of artisans throughout the dining experience. Eh, I am not offended that he charges what he does. The restaurant business is a tough financial puzzle. He seems to have carved out a niche where he can survive, while other establishments fail.

The idea of hand made dinnerware, quality knives. Japanese French mix only few people served at expensive price more power to him.

Personally like Japanese cuisine & French. Don't care for the fusion not saying it's not good, but not my cup of tea.

With many good cooks on this forum, beautiful dinnerware, excellent knives, you can with friends & family have a unique level of experience. I'm fan of Mexican hand blown glasses. That's all we drink out of these days.

We ate at a place last week that provided interesting, unique cutlery for each course. It was a little over the top, but also a pretty cool fun embellishment. This set in particular looked low-volume hand made, but I’m certainly no expert.

B7885D0D-E0C7-4314-BCC3-B4A9E4C317C0.jpeg

Restaurants like these give me mixed feelings. I feel strongly about charging enough to pay restaurant workers a livable wage and I believe in food as an experiential art form that should be celebrated. That should lead me to be in strong support of restaurants like these.

The flip side is that my on both my American side and my Japanese side, I come from poor areas (Okinawa in Japan and the rural southeast in the US). My dad’s restaurants always sourced the best ingredients he could find at the time but we never charged more than what the common person could afford, even just if it was a couple times a month treat.

I think the rub for me is choosing to have a restaurant that only serves the rich (which is implicitly decided by a stratospheric price point). Let’s be real: there are a lot of good chefs and a lot of great cooking, but it says a lot about who you are and what you want to do to only make it available to those who have enough disposable income to throw down around $500 for a date night ($180x2 plus drinks, tax, gratuity).

I feel strongly that good food and good cooking should be something that the average person can experience. And I get that we need chefs at all ends of the dining world spectrum. It just seems a little self-aggrandizing to spend so much money on something so plainly instagrammabale in both appearance and in the tasting notes.

Lastly, I come from sushi. I’m tired of people paying stupid money for caviar topped toro and gold flakes on uni. If you’ve ever been to a real sushi-ya san, you know how divine a craftsman’s shime saba can be. The whole fish is ¥300 so the neta itself is only thirty to forty cents. I’d even argue that culinarily speaking the saba is more interesting than the toro. But diners seem to be more interested in eating impressive looking and impressive sounding food that they can brag about.

Back