Saveur article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool article.

I always wonder if these older guys are making knives and wishing they could have retired five years ago. Or maybe this group is more like the Rolling Stones.

I thought MC had an apprentice? He definitely had one when he wrote one of his books. I assumed he wouldn't want more then one of them at any given time, and that his type of apprenticeship would be similar to the Japanese one, lasting many years longer then a typical western one.

I wonder if Murray has experienced the Western culture of wanting success quickly and has gotten frustrated with the apprentice experience. I hope not but I have seen similar experiences in woodworking.

I meant more that Murray has PLENTY of people bangin' on his doors.....these poor smiths in Japan have SO much knowledge to share and NOBODY wants to keep the tradition alive.
-Mark

I thought MC had an apprentice? He definitely had one when he wrote one of his books. I assumed he wouldn't want more then one of them at any given time, and that his type of apprenticeship would be similar to the Japanese one, lasting many years longer then a typical western one.

The carter muteki ("unrivaled") knives are made by his apprentices/journeymen I thought, so he must have people under his wing

Quite certain apprentices make the muteki, I believe there is one who has been working with MC for some time.

Apparently they were hiring too back in August/September, below is an excerpt from an email I got:
Carter Cutlery is Growing!
Carter Cutlery is expanding its' team! We are hiring new full-time employees as well as expanding our apprentice programs. Are you a supporter of Carter Cutlery that has been waiting for the right opportunity to join us and learn about traditional Japanese bladesmithing? Read on! One of these offers could be for you.

Please direct all inquiries to [email protected]

Office Manager / Personal Assistant

We are currently looking for an intelligent, motivated Office Manager to join the Carter Cutlery team. The position requires great customer service skills and the ability to stay detail oriented in a fast-paced office environment. Ideal candidates should have a working knowledge of the cutlery industry and strong project management skills. Read more about the job duties and qualifications on this posting.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Carter Cutlery Journeyman Program

This comprehensive program is created for aspiring bladesmiths interested in starting their own business. The program includes 15 days of Traditional Japanese Bladesmithing Instruction, two years of business coaching from Murray Carter, enough laminated steel to make 10 neck knives of your own, Japanese water stones, and a Carter Cutlery Media Package.

Read more about the Carter Cutlery Journeyman Program.
Carter Cutlery Apprentice Program

Carter Cutlery is seeking one more person to become an apprentice and work with other aspiring bladesmiths working on the Muteki line of knives. The craftsman behind the Muteki Series of knives are dedicated to learning, practicing, and growing the art of Traditional Japanese Bladesmithing.

Interested? Read more about the Carter Cutlery Apprentice Program.
Murray Carter Forge Assistant

We are looking for an apprentice to assist Murray Carter in the manufacture of his high-performance knives. Duties will include, but are not limited to:

- Rough grinding of knives
- Drilling holes
- Handle assembly with an emphasis on originality
- Polishing and hand-sanding
- Kydex sheath making
- Cleaning and maintenance around forge

Ideally, candidates should have experience working with their hands and be able to closely follow instruction. If you have these skills and are wanting to be part of the most exciting cutlery company in the industry, please respond. Those who send photographs of any previous work will get interviewed first.

Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected]

Murray's apprentice of many years is Shamus Dotson. Dude makes incredible knives all his own - or at least can - but seems to be going the Japanese route with a very long apprenticeship.

Yeah, I applied for the Forge Assistant position.....needless to say.....
-Mark

What is your point exactly?

I would be suspicious of somebody taking on an unlimited number of disciples.

If you didn't get the job- it sucks and I'm sorry. Maybe you could go to Japan, do what Murray did, come back and choose apprentices in a different manner?

Cheers.

Well....I suppose that my point is that I didn't quite have what it took. Do you think I have an agenda against Mr. Carter? You may not know me from Adam, but please be assured that I'd never want to work with, or for, someone that I didn't respect. Nor would put myself out there if I feared failure or thought I deserved anything less than full scrutiny. As for your "suggestion", it's more likely that I'll redouble my efforts, continue to improve my skills, and mayhap try again....or not. Your advice is noted.
-Mark

Cool article.

I always wonder if these older guys are making knives and wishing they could have retired five years ago. Or maybe this group is more like the Rolling Stones.

Japanese people relate to work entirely differently than western people do.
- Whilst we can barely wait to go home as soon as the work is done in Japan it's a bit 'offensive' to go home earlier than the boss and even then they go out together for a drink. (Bit like being a cook / chef. :) )
- They barely take even their paid holidays. [video=youtube;3O7FtM2Xwyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O7FtM2Xwyw[/video]
- There aren't just (70-80-90 years) old blacksmiths in the business, but also famous sushi masters and other people enjoying and not wanting to abandon their profession.
There is a very good series about japanese culture / tradition / everyday life.

Anyway, i like the article as well.

:goodpost: :plus1: GREAT ARTICLE, DAVE!!! Thank you.

Note: All foodservice professionals should print out this article and take it to your restaurant. :doublethumbsup:

Always interesting to see how some people constantly say Americans should be more like Europeans and only work like 6 months a year with lots and lots of vacation time, 30 hour weeks and retirement sometime in early 50's. And the other half tells us we should be more like the Japanese and work 16 hour days 6 days a week, with no vacations and no retirement at all. I guess I would stick with the American model for the time being. :)

I'm curious to know in which European country you work 6 month a year, work 30h/w and retire early 50s :p

1371/30 is about 46, that's still a decent number of weeks, or they work less weeks but longer :p
To German's defense, they are probably more efficient when they work :p

I'm currently living in the UK that's why I was a bit surprised, as they just raised the retirement age, we have 5 weeks of holidays, and I'm closer to 45h a week than 30 :p

I'd like to know too...

A bit of an exaggeration but any American that has done business with a European company can tell you about the time they send you an e-mail saying how they will be shut down for X number of weeks on vacation. And during the Greek problems they were telling us the retirement age was something like 58. Trying to raise it to 62 or something like that was causing riots in the street. The Japanese, on the other hand, seem to be the complete opposite story.

Yeah the retirement part is quite true, people have a hard time understanding that living longer has to mean working longer...
But as anywhere else, you find people (especially owner of very small companies) who work until they die, because they love their job and can't stop.

Seems US have 30% more bank holiday than UK though ;)

But it seems we've shifted the original topic a bit :p

Ps : all of this comes from a European who wants to move to the US in a few years :)

Japanese people relate to work entirely differently than western people do.

Hrrm.. I think this is what is known as a "gross generalization"!

My father still works, and he is in his mid 70s.
God willing I intend to work until the day I drop.
And I know plenty of people similar.

Back