Sexual Harassment in the Kitchen/Restaurant world

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst/most condescending and sexist boss I've ever had was a woman fyi

I get that some of the last few posts are probably 'just a bit of fun'. The problem is that the jerks who do the harassing see this as people openly disrespecting women and they take it as tacit approval of their harassing behaviour. Disrespect enables bullying and harassment.

I'm not saying don't talk about sexual topics or gender differences, but you can do it in a more respectful way.
But the pendulum never geats to a neutral state. It starts with that as a reason for laws and legislation but eventually a woman only needs to feel uncomfortable or scarred without reason or proof for a man's life to be put into shambles. I think violent law offenders should be punished but mere accusations should not put you in a homeless shelter.

But I don't really take seriously anyone who is so limited in their world view they have to consistently resort to attempts to demean others in order to make a point.

Just saying....

The very heart of being apart of any Western Nation based on a past conquering empire is demeaning others. How do you think women weed out there competition. How do you think men get along socially?

Oh come on. Yeah, it’s not ONLY .... just like 99% of the time it’s a guy.
Mostly because men are victimized for their agressive behavior where female sexual agression is shown sympathy. Although there will be a benefit of society forcing men to direct their sexual quests towards territories that are more appropriate.

Damn 18th century puritans should have never of been given a vote on local business establishments.

Most sexist/racist/offensive chef I ever worked for was gay. He was an equal opportunity harasser.

Had that experience too. He was married had kids and liked young male kitchen workers. This was decades ago.

As you mentioned laws have changed the kitchen workforce for the better. In Hotels many pantry workers are women. To survive in the industry most developed thick skin & knew how to dish it out and insult would be Romeo's.

When a cute worker came to work cooks would visit cold kitchen more like monkeys on the hunt.

Think it is good that serious sex offenders get exposed. Being abused sexually can be lead to all kinds of detrimental social behavior and anger.

I would say in an industry (kitchen) where livelihoods and not just steps in a luxury career (hollywood) depend on it, abuse of power (not: assaultive behaviours. always the worst anywhere.) is to be rated far worse (than in the hollywood scenario). Just my amateur opinion.

The very heart of being apart of any Western Nation based on a past conquering empire is demeaning others. How do you think women weed out there competition. How do you think men get along socially?
I can honestly say I've always succeeded on my own merits. Being demeaning is not necessary if you have enough confidence in your abilities and the moxy to back it up.

I've also managed large groups of people very effectively in high pressure situations without making them cry or demeaning them in any way. It's possible to be an effective leader without being a jerk.

There's enough negative **** in the world without me adding to it.

I can say that now with confidence because I'm pretty much at the top of my game career wise. Got there by being good at what I do, not by being an @sshole. It's possible to rise to the top without climbing over the backs of others.

I've been sexually harassed by many women that I definitely did not enjoy (grossed out), but i just laughed it off cause at the end of the day it was harmless. However, I do think in a reversed scenario it's not so harmless. Yet I still fail to see why this needs to be a publicity event.

I can honestly say I've always succeeded on my own merits. Being demeaning is not necessary if you have enough confidence in your abilities and the moxy to back it up.

I've also managed large groups of people very effectively in high pressure situations without making them cry or demeaning them in any way. It's possible to be an effective leader without being a jerk.

There's enough negative **** in the world without me adding to it.

I can say that now with confidence because I'm pretty much at the top of my game career wise. Got there by being good at what I do, not by being an @sshole. It's possible to rise to the top without climbing over the backs of others.
I would like to see you run a successful military unit with the same attitude 🤣

I've been sexually harassed by many women that I definitely did not enjoy (grossed out), but i just laughed it off cause at the end of the day it was harmless. However, I do think in a reversed scenario it's not so harmless. Yet I still fail to see why this needs to be a publicity event.
I guessing they were not that attractive. Or you were married to a jealouse wife?

Colichio or whatever his name is makes it sound like we're all abusers or at least conspirators. I take great exception to that. I'm supposed to feel ashamed now because a celebrity Chef has a big pulpit? Screw that guy.

I would like to see you run a successful military unit with the same attitude 🤣

You mean this military? I didn't go searching for this, it came across my newsfeed this morning.

http://time.com/5060570/military-wo...utm_content=2017121312pm&xid=newsletter-brief

No thanks. I have a relative who works in the DOJ in an area which has geographical jurisdiction over a large military base. They have prosecutorial discretion is theirs if the crime was committed against a civilian or if charges are filed by a civilian. The towering respect we used to have for the services took a huge nosedive once the cases (and the ones involving children are worse and far more prevelant than anyone would want to believe) started coming across her desk. The lengths the military goes to in order to protect some of the accused are in themselves, criminal.

Yet another reason we can't simply handle this stuff privately.

Social issues are discussed in a completely rational manner without misunderstanding or hyperbole. Everyone walks away happy and the community is better for it.

Carnac.jpg

Something that never happens on the Internet.

So what are the solutions for preventing the future Batalis of the world?

1. Castration
2. Lobotomy
3. Chemicaly induced impotence
4. No more male head chefs
5. Banning women from all kitchens
6. Legalized Prostitution
7. Public Stoning

Is acting like adults off the table?

And what's getting stoned in public going to do to prevent aholes? Half the cooks I know, do that already.

Sexual harassment can be quite a big umbrella. Just overhearing a coworker describe his sexy time the night before and feeling offended can constitute harassment. Then there’s stuff that is pretty dangerous and actually threatening for members of the staff. The reason that feelings about this subject are all over the place is because the real scary fukked up stuff is lumped in with crybaby stuff. Also certain loose language is acceptable to 90% of kitchen staff(guys and gals) but there can be that one stick in the mud that gets butthurt over sexy time stories. So yes doom, the safest thing to do to cover your ass in the future is to basically act neutered at work.

Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened to kill her

[video=youtube;7__rt0hRm8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__rt0hRm8s[/video]

Nobody does it better ...

than Hollywood

So what are the solutions for preventing the future Batalis of the world?

1. Castration
2. Lobotomy
3. Chemicaly induced impotence
4. No more male head chefs
5. Banning women from all kitchens
6. Legalized Prostitution
7. Public Stoning

Let me make it really easy for you, one word:

RESPECT

And yes, as we all know, harassment goes across genders and sexual preferences. However that one word would go a long way toward resolving a lot of conflict in many areas.

Is acting like adults off the table?

And what's getting stoned in public going to do to prevent aholes? Half the cooks I know, do that already.
Acting like adults historically has been a useless endeavor. That is why laws and religion was created in the first.

Back