Shapton Pros as oilstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Lee Valley thinks you can use them as oilstones.

In all their descriptions (for example from the SP1K), they have this tidbit:
The stone can be used with the Shapton stone holder, field holder and pond. It can also be used as an oil stone, but then must continue to be used with oil only. Weighs just shy of 20 oz (550g).

Don't think I would ever do it, but apparently you can do it.

I’m under the impression, right or wrong, that they know what they’re doing. Or someone at some point did. Not sure I’ll ever use oil on shaptons tho. They have a pretty decent woodworking focused stone selection.

I can’t go there anymore, there’s too much cool stuff to buy.

Apparently Lee Valley thinks you can use them as oilstones.

In all their descriptions (for example from the SP1K), they have this tidbit:

Don't think I would ever do it, but apparently you can do it.
Are there any advantages to using oil over water for sharpening? Curious, since I've only used water for sharpening.

Are there any advantages to using oil over water for sharpening? Curious, since I've only used water for sharpening.

I'd think it depends on the stone. For porous stones like Crystolons and Indias, the thicker viscosity of the oil help suspend swarf.

Since those stones are so readily available, well priced, effective and already oil impregnated, I'd see no reason to use oil on Shaptons.

If the steel is super reactive and your sharpening session ends with unwanted rust/patina on the blade, I could see an argument for oil. Though some say baking soda in the water will suffice. Maybe some synthetic waterstones include a rust inhibitor already?

If the steel is super reactive and your sharpening session ends with unwanted rust/patina on the blade, I could see an argument for oil. Though some say baking soda in the water will suffice. Maybe some synthetic waterstones include a rust inhibitor already?
Stones that use magnesia as a binder are automatically more basic, rather than acidic.

In what I've seen in my limited testing, some stones "work" slightly better with oil than water, but my guess is the main advantage is that you can keep using oil/water with these if you were using oil/water with the previous stones in the progression.

Probably worth mentioning, if you changed your mind and wanted to go back to water, be careful about how you do it. I've seen Simple Green break down the binder of a synthetic stone in the past.

I've used oil on all sorts of natural stones, though admittedly never on a synth waterstone. Probably just because I kinda assumed they had been speciically designed for use with water, and so no point experimenting with something that wouldn't work as well. I find it interesting that Shapton reckon otherwise.

Anyway, the following are generalisations in regard to various natural stones I've played around with it on. There are exceptions to these observations:

If used without a slurry raised oil generally makes a stone a little faster, and also more often than not - finer finishing too. In essence for sharpening work - oil is probably better than water.

However the speed benefits of oil can be negated in the case of stones that cut on slurry. Using a raised slurry or trying to generate a slurry with oil is usually much more difficult or impossible.

Because of the above, almost no stones polish well with oil.

Oil might be more difficult to use than water on harder or finer stones.

For particular types of stones that cut because of their surface structure and porosity, use with water will clog them more quickly than oil.

And quite a significant one, which I hadn't really noticed or thought about until the other day... water is considerably more thermally conductive than oil. And it's cold at the moment; if you try sharpening for any moderate length of time with unheated tap water during the winter your hands will go numb and you'll have to stop. I did 8 hours straight earlier this week on what I believe was the coldest March day in the UK for 10 years, and I was very pleased indeed that I had a Washita for it.

Last edited:
Back