Sharpen-able Peeler?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any veg peelers out there that aren't a giant PITA to sharpen due to design?

I am pretty happy with this Cutco peeler of all things. Probably 20 years old. Never sharpened. Maybe in another 20 years I'll pop the blade out and flip it over so I'll have a fresh bevel.

PXL_20210921_233714337.jpg

Didn't find on yet. All of mine have concave blades that cannot sit flat on the stones.

for asparagus

The thickness of cuts can be adjusted with some knives of this type. Some cooks need less than a minute to peel a pund. I don't know whether the contests in spring are made anymore.

Last edited:
Any veg peelers out there that aren't a giant PITA to sharpen due to design?
I would be happy if you could just get replacement blades for the Kuhn Rikon style Swiss peelers, but as Stringer pointed out, I'm not sure if mine will ever go dull, not having any issues yet. I did pick up a fancy Stainless steel version from Korin a while back.

Not very sustainable... but my favorite is actually one that's really cheap, so I just... use them until they either go dull or I end up accidentally throwing one out together with the peels (not too proud to admit that already happened twice). What can I say; these are like three bucks to four bucks. 🤷‍♂️ Actually prefer them over the noticably more expensive stuff I tried (like Oxo).

It's these ones. They show up under other brandnames as well (probably just rebranded version of this one).
REX — ZENA • First in Peelers
Zena Swiss Rex Dunschiller, € 3,50

More in the, "helping in the way I was asked" vein, I've seen these in a lot of Chinese grocery stores here in the US: Alibaba Manufacturer Directory They appear to be designed to be sharpenable, as they have much, much thicker steel. You won't be able to do it on a whetstone or anything, but I'd imagine with some sandpaper, or the right files it would be about as much of a pain as a serrated knife. So, doable.

Back