Sharpening Setups/Kits

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So while I have a variety of stuff (still fairly new to water stones so mostly oil and Arkansas stones), I've consolidated my most used stuff into a bin that serves as both storage and sharpening support. Might also be a decent example of not having to spend a ton to get a good setup.

This is more or less the kit:
c8ubPsS.jpg

There's a mix of oil stones, diamond, Arkansas and water stones. There's rags and a couple strops that go in there as well. It's just a plastic bin that we already had. It has a lid that can be secured onto it if I wanted to take it somewhere but I have a different, smaller kit for that.

The setup starts with this silicone pad I got out of a big bin at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Maybe for hot stuff??? I just grabbed it to be an anti-skid mat. That goes on top of my cutting board:
rWcr1yy.jpg

Pull what you need out of the bin and set it on the pad (towel would work too):
irIdbeW.jpg

The bin gets covered in a towel to prevent sliding of the next piece which is a 17"x14" flat baking sheet that again, we already had:
SMD65fN.jpg

Since I already them, and since they work very well, my oil stones still do the bulk of my coarse work. I do need a coarser water stone for thinning but that will come in time. I use the paper towel in the universal stone holder to prevent any drips onto pan. You don't need much oil! When done properly, I find oil stones actually less messy than water stones. But you do want to be mindful of never getting oil onto your water stones. I even use separate rags and keep them in bags. Anyway, Norton India Fine had this new F. Dick in shape in no time:
VE3CSlP.jpg

And yes, I have used the oil stones on some of my Japanese knives. They work just fine. I don't really care for them for thinning though as the oil is just too thick and "sticky". Sandpaper is a better substitute for that work. But they will grind in an edge just fine.

And then for water stones (Shapton Glass 2000):
I3HEtzj.jpg

And save them napkins from takeout/delivery:

mIDGvpN.jpg

This setup puts the stone about 11" above the counter and is very comfortable. No neck pain and very natural arm movement.

Last edited:
i have about 35 stones. i guess i could get by with only 5-6 if i really wanted.
but i prefer the variety. lately i've been trying out high grits, like 8-12k. these are all very different and i'm glad i got to try them out.

My non-slippery portable sharpening mess container is a full sheet pan, with 6 adhesive feet stuck to the bottom. I think they had Gorilla in their name. Whatever the name, they work.

I store my stones, except the really thick ones, vertically, in some mesh file folder racks, where they can dry out thoroughly. The others dry first on the sheet pan, then go on their shelf.

The thick stones need no holder, for the rest, when I'm not holding the stone in one hand, I use the Kasfly stone holder, which is not only incredibly well-designed and well-made, it has no inherent size limits that have ever troubled me; you can adjust it to support pretty much any flattish stone front, middle, and back.

Counting my stones does not appeal to me, but it's probably in the same range as inferno's setup, with distinct sequences for JNats, diamond stones, and synthetics. I've found suitable occasions for each.

Respect! You're a lot more meticulous and organised than I am... I just have everything sitting on a small table thing at one end of the kitchen, with a few soakers in a bucket, a rag, and a copy of the yellow pages for stropping (this is far tidier than it normally looks):

IMG-3040.jpg

And then just sharpen on the surface next to the table, using some of this black stuff to hold stones:

IMG-3562.jpg

I have something similar:
20210502_120652.jpg

20210502_120704.jpg

20210502_120332.jpg

Nice little basic setup, with an ipe wood bridge, about 40cmx30cm (15.5inchx12inch), fits under the kitchen sink and I also leave my stones to dry in there. It raises the stones about 17cm (6.6inch) from the kitchen worktop. Bought locally.

Last edited:
Respect! You're a lot more meticulous and organised than I am... I just have everything sitting on a small table thing at one end of the kitchen, with a few soakers in a bucket, a rag, and a copy of the yellow pages for stropping (this is far tidier than it normally looks):

View attachment 125325

And then just sharpen on the surface next to the table, using some of this black stuff to hold stones:

View attachment 125324

Space is a premium for me so being able to keep things together and in a manner that makes easy to store and retrieve is a big plus. So I'm not really meticulous and organized, I'm just kind of forced to be. :)

Space is a premium for me so being able to keep things together and in a manner that makes easy to store and retrieve is a big plus. So I'm not really meticulous and organized, I'm just kind of forced to be. :)

Ah! Yes I am lucky to have a bit of space free in the kitchen (and a very tolerant better half ;))

I just finished this sharpening cabinet for my workshop. It’s all teak except for the shelves, drawer bottoms, and the plexiglass in the top.

Apart from a few JNS synthetics and a couple coticules, it’s all jnats.

1973B5C1-7F5D-479B-A4DA-6762959426B6.jpeg
74621943-8277-47BB-A3B3-0610DDC90B70.jpeg
43FE50C7-EA98-476B-B1F0-102826BE7AEE.jpeg
30789F07-30CE-4FAF-B1B7-26080C8A70C0.jpeg

That grinder into fan setup makes my palms sweaty. You ever had that catch fire?

Hahaha. Yea and I've even had the dust collector bag flare. That stuff you hear about dust being volatile is true :)
The collector you see in the pic is for wood. I swap it out for a collector with a water trap for steel grinding. Consists of a bucket with water and a swirl inducer. Works great. No more firez.

IMG_1115.jpg

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been enjoying the World Championships at the Crucible while sharpening of an evening. And have discovered a new ‘life hack’ as I believe the internet calls it, using the magnetic strip at the top of my computer screen.

Doing some polishing on natural stones for the final this evening:

06C9C921-659A-4B3E-A87F-6C17FE8A307F.jpeg

That cabinet is amazing. There are a lot of great looking setups here!

My wife does not appreciate me sharpening in the kitchen so I use a tub and stone holder in the upstairs bathroom. The tub fits on the counter perfectly and there's lots of light.

Hahaha. Yea and I've even had the dust collector bag flare. That stuff you hear about dust being volatile is true :)
The collector you see in the pic is for wood. I swap it out for a collector with a water trap for steel grinding. Consists of a bucket with water and a swirl inducer. Works great. No more firez.

View attachment 125493
Thank God you replied to this. I was literally worried about this when I wasn’t even looking at the forum. I’m so glad you figured out the fire situation and that you got a great set up!

you can build it very fast and cheap maybe 1hour if you have good tools in your workshop. I have another stone there is a gap between the shapton glass and the shaptron pro #1000. There should be a #320. I must search my other stones :D. But you can build it better then me because i made a misstake. Dont make slot´s for stones you don´t have. only drill the hole when you have the stone.

Back