Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is clad in softer stainless anyway and the core is thin, so you won't have to thin the core anyway. I thought I was all that with k390 core, but yours is on a different level all together. What are the specs on this beauty?

Yeah the core really is thin, I can see it on the choil. I have a feeling that the stainless cladding is a bit harder than typical though based on how stiff it is given the thinness of the overall blade.

Specs are 195mm blade length, 53mm heel height with a asymmetric laser grind and walnut burl handle. Don't have a weight but it's the lightest gyuto I own so I'd guess under 160g. Food release isn't bad considering the thinness but obviously not comparable to a workhorse, food separation is amazing, no resistance what so ever. Cooked a very large curry this morning with a bunch of overripe tomatoes and chicken thighs and the edge is awesome for slicing. REX 121 seems to be reasonably corrosion resistant compared to blue steels or 125SC, I left it wet for 10 minutes at a time and no noticeable change. Fun knife, I'll be keeping this one as a regular.

Left handed 180 mm gesshin uraku deba. 1st deba and getting to learn how to handle it but works well as far as I know.

Attachments

• 20200224_152752.jpg
    20200224_152752.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 50
Gorgeous cleavers. WOW! Do you have a favorite?

Those two are my most recent acquisitions and quite different. Haven't had the chance to really use them a lot yet but the Marius is 20cm longer at around 210mm and over 100g heavier at around 438g . The cleaver from Yanick is closer to 315g and around 190mm in length, so much more nimble and scalpel like. Both seem fantastic though.

I was a little scared off by some of the horror stories but I finally pulled the trigger on a TF Denka and I absolutely love it. I see why people rave about these knives. Mine doesn't have any issues to my untrained eye, but I'm not very concerned regardless because the performance is A+.

IMG_9383.jpg

I was a little scared off by some of the horror stories but I finally pulled the trigger on a TF Denka and I absolutely love it. I see why people rave about these knives. Mine doesn't have any issues to my untrained eye, but I'm not very concerned regardless because the performance is A+.

View attachment 73539
Is that a 210? We need the obligatory choil shot. And welcome to the club. Once you go TF you never go back.......

I just picked up a 'tou cou' signed 240 Denka to add to the collection.

Is that a 210? We need the obligatory choil shot. And welcome to the club. Once you go TF you never go back.......

I just picked up a 'tou cou' signed 240 Denka to add to the collection.

Yes its a 210 but measures 219mm x 56. I think there might be a little bit of a low spot near the heel but I'm not sure. In the first inch or so from the heel the knife patina's a touch higher than the rest of the blade on both sides, so I thought maybe it was a low spot, but I cant see any difference looking down the edge. Maybe someone with more experience can see something that I don't. Either way this knife is awesome, really happy with it.

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9388.JPG IMG_9389.JPG

Oversized 210 is perfect for me. If there's a low spot it appears high on the blade road. Worth putting your own edge on the blade to fix any potential microchipping.

That Denka looks wicked. And i don't see any low spots from the pictures. If you start looking for flaws you will start seeing things.
Just enjoy the knife. You got a top performer there. Congrats

Yes its a 210 but measures 219mm x 56. I think there might be a little bit of a low spot near the heel but I'm not sure. In the first inch or so from the heel the knife patina's a touch higher than the rest of the blade on both sides, so I thought maybe it was a low spot, but I cant see any difference looking down the edge. Maybe someone with more experience can see something that I don't. Either way this knife is awesome, really happy with it.

View attachment 73557

View attachment 73558 View attachment 73559

I don’t know, looking close up at the junctions on your choil shot are rather telling (and luckily that’s not the business end). But the blade road looks pretty good from where I sit.

Where do you find a denka in this condition? Always been on the hunt for a long 210, but the fear keeps me away.

I don’t know, looking close up at the junctions on your choil shot are rather telling (and luckily that’s not the business end). But the blade road looks pretty good from where I sit.

Where do you find a denka in this condition? Always been on the hunt for a long 210, but the fear keeps me away.

To me it looks a little thicker on the left side of the blade, not a flat spot but a bump in the last 3-4mm as the blade road goes into the heel. Almost like they forgot to finish grinding it there, or at least partially. I can only see it when the light catches it a certain way so I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Either way the knife is excellent and the performance is fantastic. I'm not planning on trying to mess with it because it has zero effect on the performance and I'm not even certain there is an issue.

I got the knife from TF direct. I told them what I was looking for size wise and they sent me a photo album of the knife. I asked for some additional photos down the blade road and they provided those as well. Everything looked good to me so I bought it.

To me it looks a little thicker on the left side of the blade, not a flat spot but a bump in the last 3-4mm as the blade road goes into the heel. Almost like they forgot to finish grinding it there, or at least partially. I can only see it when the light catches it a certain way so I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Either way the knife is excellent and the performance is fantastic. I'm not planning on trying to mess with it because it has zero effect on the performance and I'm not even certain there is an issue.

I got the knife from TF direct. I told them what I was looking for size wise and they sent me a photo album of the knife. I asked for some additional photos down the blade road and they provided those as well. Everything looked good to me so I bought it.

Yeah man, I mean that’s really what it’s about- how does it perform.... f&f on the junctions and handle have little bearing on what sounds to be a great performer. Plus they’re the easiest things to fix if you’re so inclined. When it comes to grinds/over-grinds/etc, these are in the dna of the knife and can almost never be attended to without some serious consideration.

I’ll have a look at his site, thanks:).

Latest posts

Back