Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i0mqoCw.jpg

A few Kaeru for myself and the guys at work.

Thats some love and trust! Must be a great kitchen

Those look very nice in that group shot, crew should be happy! Lol.. common sense.. that’s what it was called in the old days, now it should be called uncommon sense cause it just ain’t common anymore.

Yeah, what I mean is that as great as Kaeru are they’re still ground and heat treated in such a way that people who aren’t used to more finesse cutters/delicate edges can still just bang away on em and they’ll be fine. You might be surprised by the habits some might pick up using shun/Henkel/miyabi knives.

I was referring to just the term 'common sense'... I should’ve quoted.
Haha .. no I wouldn’t be surprised at all, I’ve seen some pretty messed up bad habits in action. Sounds like these should be even more forgiving than Tanakas for the abuser, so these might be that alternate gateway blade.. think panda may have brought this up before.. someone did. I might have to pick one up as a gateway gift for a friend, of course tested beforehand 👍

the profile actually reminds me of my old tanaka 270, really the only tanaka i actually liked. (had the 240 at same time and didnt like that one)

Good eye! Yes the edge profile is almost identical to Tanaka 270. The spine profile is quite different which makes the Kaeru tip pointier.

Xerxes 230mm Gyuto, great knife. I really love my Xerxes...

32889282xg.jpg

Mack.

It took a while but I somehow managed to complete the set. Kato 210 gyutos (KU, kasumi standard, and damascus standard). Marble “Zero Gravity” knife stand by Chef Duy. Thanks, Chef Duy for such a wonderful stand. Special shout out to my bro, Steve (pd7077).

BRcvwED.jpg

masashi sld 240
this thing is tall and stupid thin behind the edge, basically a gyuto cleaver with the most laserish usable tip. i dont care for the profile but i can easily adjust to it and/or alter it.
loving the handle, it's been my unicorn handle forever. d shape burnt chestnut. but i must admit, i still think the 'best quality' handle i've had was an upgraded keyaki octagon from watanabe.

20180605_173759_zps9m4qdpwh.jpg~original

20180605_174002_zpssadmektg.jpg~original

masashi sld 240
this thing is tall and stupid thin behind the edge, basically a gyuto cleaver with the most laserish usable tip. i dont care for the profile but i can easily adjust to it and/or alter it.
loving the handle, it's been my unicorn handle forever. d shape burnt chestnut. but i must admit, i still think the 'best quality' handle i've had was an upgraded keyaki octagon from watanabe.

Good stuff, If my honyaki Ikeda doesn't finish in time I was thinking about buying the 270mm version of this as my graduation gift. I adore the height and it looks like a great $/$ blade

It took a while but I somehow managed to complete the set. Kato 210 gyutos (KU, kasumi standard, and damascus standard). Marble “Zero Gravity” knife stand by Chef Duy. Thanks, Chef Duy for such a wonderful stand. Special shout out to my bro, Steve (pd7077).

BRcvwED.jpg

How stable are the knives and how does this work?

godslayer - one of my cooks bought the 270, it's way too big lol go with the 240. also if you decide to rehandle it please let me have the original one :)
oh man hella value, can't believe it costs under $300. the steel has stupid good retention also. i havent put it to stones yet however.

godslayer - one of my cooks bought the 270, it's way too big lol

:'( don't go breaking my heart. And if I do(probably won't) it'll be a deal, burnt cheatnut is stupidly good for handles, only wish it was octagonal.

i mean i exaggerated but because its so tall all the way through i felt it was a bit much. my old takeda 270 was similar but was lighter and not quite as tall so was more manageable.

masashi sld 240

I'm surprised you went for one after your comments about not liking the profile :)

Great choices as gifts Damage. On the first use I tried to cut the root end off a head of garlic (which a very tough knife chore) and had to torque and smash the knife with my palm to get it through. It did leave some rolling and slight edge defamation, but no chips. I don't know what made me want to beat the hell out of a brand new knife, but I did and she help up very well. It will Cut!

3x Kaeru

1x Toshihirosaku

83ce858a8dc3f42b8160.png

Good news for my cousin. He's never had a nice knife before so a hard to chip edge is definitely a plus

Not a cooking knife but thought I'd share anyway.

Saw a kinda neat looking kiridashi kogatana for sale semilocally and ordered a bit spontaneously without reading the description given.

Happily, it seems to be pretty well made and the old iron has some polisher rewards:

J5Ilg5a.jpg

(Sorry about the scratches on the core steel)

So to see the problem, look at the backdrop of that photo. That's a normal 24mm-wide kiridashi. New one is cute, but a little smaller than initially hoped.

efKdE1a.jpg

Still, I'm fairly happy with the purchase.

Back