Size Matters: What’s Your Go-To BIG Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, as my only experience in a restaurant was using a big knife when I was a kid so I grew up with it seeming normal to me. To me they help with chopping and also seem faster to me. I watch my wife with a paring knife and it seems so slow when she chops.

I haven't been using big gyuto like a 270 Toyama or Heiji in a while, long enough so my skills have improved and technique evolved since then. But based on how I use a Chinese cleaver, a big heavy knife like that you use such that most of the work is done by the weight of the knife, steering the motion of gravity rather than applying a lot of force. So it helps with ease of motion if the knife is also tall, and gripping a knife of that weight tightly throughout seems like a bad technique and a recipe for arm fatigue, as opposed to a lighter, narrower knife that is more of an extension of the hand.

Most of my knives are big. Here's a selection (old pic, sorry a few are off topic)
10" Old Hickory
270 Watanabe
10" Sabatier with workhorse grind
270 Ashi Sujihiki
Tosa Nakiri
10" Forgecraft
250 Shi.han
PXL_20210512_024624920.NIGHT.jpg

Love the 10" Forgecraft. I have one in the garage that I used to learn hand sharpening along with my vintage cleaver collection. I need to bring it out into dinner service.

I've been focusing more on the shorter blades, 210-230 ish, recently but my preference is for 250-270.

This is the longer side of my knife rack towards the end of last year.

From left to right:
270 Wakui
265 Tanaka Ironwood
265 DP Custom Knives
260 Metal Monkey
260 Oblivion Blades
260 Cris Anderson
250 Masashi Kobo
250 Kamon
250 Isasmedjan

The 245 Oatley just sneaks into this category, but the 235 Tansu belongs to the shorter category.

20200930_100314.jpg

Most of my knives are big -- my 240's feel almost like petty knives; I use them when I'm just cooking for myself or one or two other people..

For heavy prep, 270 iron-clad, Kurouchi Wat -- 360G; 270 Mazaki Kasumi at around 260G.

Middle-weight, all around: 270 stainless-clad Toyama, 270 Kamo R2, or 270 Misono Dragon

Laser-ish, 270 KS or Kurosaki AS.

Last edited:
The only really big knife I own is this beautiful 300 Sakai Takayuki Ginsan Warikomi which feels really good at 320g. However, since I'm not working in the restaurant business anymore, it's sleeping in its box still unused - 240mm is usually enough at home. Either got to put it into use or sell it to somebody who has better use for it I guess :oops:

IMG_2653.jpeg

IMG_2655 (1).jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

If you ever decide to sell that Wat... 😻

LOL! I think you and @tgfencer are the Big Knife Kings on KKF! However, I am enjoying my new membership in the 300 Club.

It can take ALOT of fresh leafy greens to make a satisfying meal. After a good wash and spin, the pile can get pretty big. Could 300mm be practical after all???

Today's lunch included two full bunches of locally grown chard. That's a 12.5 fry pan for reference. It really cooks down!
20210624_105748.jpg
20210624_110224.jpg
20210624_112033.jpg
20210624_112725.jpg

Biggest gyutos I have are 240...I have a 210and it just seems too short....

Now I get it's not a gyuto but...

When there is a need for overkill it's a 14 inch carbon Sabatier with a Nogent handle circa 1930... bought as nos from Lee Valley 20 + ish years ago when they had bought a warehouse of vintage tools somewhere in New York State and found boxes of nos Sabatier... I managed to get a couple...wish I knew then what I know now and wish I had had more money...

It's surprisingly nimble for its size...yeah it pops carrots apart more than cuts them...but it's performance is something...and the intimidation factor is huge...🙂

Take care

Jeff

Back