So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there some specific knives you are still looking for?

Yes, for sure, I never stop dreaming:

Kitaeji, Wa Handle
- Yanagiba, 240mm
- Gyuto, 300mm
- Fugubiki, 240mm
- Deba, 165mm
- Deba, 150mm
- Deba, 135mm
- Unagisaki (any length)
- Kiritsuke (any length)
- Garasuke (any length)

Kitaeji, Yo Handle
- Gyuto, 270mm
- Gyuto, 300mm
- Petty, 150mm
- Sujikihi, 300mm
- Sujikihi, 270mm

Kasumi, Yo Handle
- Gyuto, 270mm
- Gyuto, 210mm
- Gyuto, 180mm
- Petty, 135mm

Kasumi, Wa Handle

- Petty 150mm
- Petty 135mm

Anyone with one of these knives can contact me for a fair offer!

Several folks have asked me recently if I could do an update on the Shigefusa pricing post that I did here back in March. Several interesting pieces have hit the market between March and now and, I guess, there is a need for context.

Okay, so first some info about the data set. My excel file now contains 270+ Shigefusa transactions between 2011 and YTD 2017; it’s a mix of KKF and 3rd party vendors, with 2/3rd of the transactions of the last 3 years. Simple explanation for that is: that’s when I started keeping record. Lastly, the data set is all public information.

First question I always get is: do prices increase? Yes, they do and they have been accelerating in the past 3 years:

analysis_AUG2017_finish.gif

The data is for Wa Handle only, Single & Double Bevel mixed:
· Kasumi: 7 year CAGR is 7%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 11%
· Kitaeji : 6 year CAGR is 4%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 6%
· Kurouchi: 6 year CAGR is 8%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 20%

Second question I get is: is this knife a fair/good/bad/outrageous/insane deal?
This question is multifactorial, emotional and rational at the same time, only thing I can do here is give you the box plots with whiskers:

analysis_AUG2017_boxplot.gif

How to read? Simple, take the price in USD, divide by the length of the knife in mm. This will give you a $ price per mm. The blue dot is the Mean, whiskers give min/max max values recorded, box itself is 50% of values.

The third most asked question: “Can you help me price my Shig”, or “What price did the last xx sell for
Yes, I can help you with this, just shoot me an KKF pm. If you want a custom answer, same process.

Several folks have asked me recently if I could do an update on the Shigefusa pricing post that I did here back in March. Several interesting pieces have hit the market between March and now and, I guess, there is a need for context.

Okay, so first some info about the data set. My excel file now contains 270+ Shigefusa transactions between 2011 and YTD 2017; it’s a mix of KKF and 3rd party vendors, with 2/3rd of the transactions of the last 3 years. Simple explanation for that is: that’s when I started keeping record. Lastly, the data set is all public information.

First question I always get is: do prices increase? Yes, they do and they have been accelerating in the past 3 years:

analysis_AUG2017_finish.gif

The data is for Wa Handle only, Single & Double Bevel mixed:
· Kasumi: 7 year CAGR is 7%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 11%
· Kitaeji : 6 year CAGR is 4%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 6%
· Kurouchi: 6 year CAGR is 8%, CAGR of the last 3 years: 20%

Second question I get is: is this knife a fair/good/bad/outrageous/insane deal?
This question is multifactorial, emotional and rational at the same time, only thing I can do here is give you the box plots with whiskers:

analysis_AUG2017_boxplot.gif

How to read? Simple, take the price in USD, divide by the length of the knife in mm. This will give you a $ price per mm. The blue dot is the Mean, whiskers give min/max max values recorded, box itself is 50% of values.

The third most asked question: “Can you help me price my Shig”, or “What price did the last xx sell for
Yes, I can help you with this, just shoot me an KKF pm. If you want a custom answer, same process.

Awesome info. Thanks for your time and effort!

Incredibly useful and well organized info as usual Floris. I love the nerdy graphs xD.

Those whiskers are very biased to higher values lol.

True, though the knives in each category have different dimensions; length, type etc. The price per mm is just a simple calculation and certain unicorns can heavily distort the data set.

Got a few messages over the last weeks from folks asking for updates on my website. I know, the last update was somewhere in June and I have acquired several knives since. With the launch of a redesigned site, these knives will be featured in full detail. The latter will be somewhere this fall, or check out my IG account to get your weekly Shig fix!

Small update, did start the redesign of the website, progress is slow though a preview below. A lot more focus will be put on photos:

wip.gif

Small update, did start the redesign of the website, progress is slow though a preview below. A lot more focus will be put on photos:

wip.gif

Awesome work Floris!
Superb!
next step is opening the shigefusa museum for the community.
[emoji1]

Awesome Floris, I need a badge as first one to visit the museum lol.

wip.gif

Floris, I urge you to have a roadshow around the world with your Shigefusa's collection!

A "Zweber12 pass-around;" as long as the next recipient pays for S&H, I am in. Still have plenty of holidays left this year.. :doublethumbsup:

A "Zweber12 pass-around;" as long as the next recipient pays for S&H, I am in. Still have plenty of holidays left this year.. :doublethumbsup:

How can we only pass around the knives without meeting the famous celebrity?

Not one of the most brilliant of images, though a shot of a Shigefusa Kasumi Kiritsuki, 270mm. Once I have my new site up an running, I will document this knife in more detail!

kiritsuki.jpg

Two more photos of recently acquired knives, wish I had more time to dedicate to cataloging and updating the website.

Shigefusa kasumi Kiritsuke, 270mm

kiritsuki2.jpg

Shigefusa kitaeji Mioroshi Deba, 240mm

mioroshi.jpg

Rounding up an exceptional week with this one, a Shigefusa Kitaeji Sujihiki,270 mm, yo handle:

sujihiki_yo_270.jpg

I finally got around to take new photos, enjoy!

This image captures 3 of my favourite knives, 2 kitaeji Fugubikis, 270 & 300mm and a kasumi Fugubiki 270mm.
3fugus.jpg

No need for an introduction:
honesuki.jpg

Kitaeji Kamagata Usuba, 210mm
usuab_kama_210kitaeji.jpg

Kitaeji Yanagiba, 270mm, NOS:
yanagi270kit.jpg

Not everything I collect is Shigefusa, one of the other highlights, a Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kikuryu Gyuto, 240mm

kato1200.jpg

Still in the process of taking new photos for my site, here a recent one from a 195mm kasumi Deba. Several nice features are the NOS handle and the chiseled kanji on a kasumi single bevel:

12.jpg

Back