So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A recent addition to the collection, a long awaited Kasumi Gyuto, 270mm:

4.jpg

Profile on 270 shig looks amazing, don't know why specifically...
Just seems understated and all in balance :)

4.jpg

shig 270 has an awesome profile and geometry, it's taller than the others which makes it wedge less since the lower convex is not as low and more tapered and the profile has a very long flat spot.

I recently passed the 400 recorded Shigefusa sales in my database, so I thought is would be time for an update and provide you again with some interesting stats. The first disclaimer, these are sales that are publicly available, either from KKF, social media or known resellers. If you come across a sale, let me know and I will record the item in my data base. When reporting, any sale outside of KKF is simply listed as “3RD” or third-party sale.

First some data facts:
  • Time period: June 2011 – today
  • Recorded sales: 411
  • Total sales value: $288.000 USD
  • Highest price: Kitaeji Hamokiri ($2308 (2013)
  • Lowest price: Kurouchi petty, $150 (2012)
  • Finish: Kasumi (47%), Kitaeji (37%), Kurouchi (16%)
  • Bevels: Double (65%), Single (35%)
  • Handle: Wa (92%), Yo (8%)
  • Top 5 knives: Gyuto (145), Yanagiba (54), Nakiri (34), Petty (34), Deba (32)
  • Sales Outlet: KKF (62%), 3rd (38%)

So, then a couple questions:

a) Dear Zweber12, I want to sell a Shig, how do I price it?
Answer:Well, I do not have a definite answer for you, though these box plots should give you a good idea of the price ranges and median. I can also provide you the entries for a specific knives. Just send me a DM.

b) The latest [insert knife & finish] prices are insane, unbelievable.
Answer: Yes, maybe, not really. Below two graphs of Kitaeji only sales. There is a high variability as you can see in the graph that plots each average price per mm vs a time stamp. There is simply a higher demand for these knives, but as the normalize “avg price per mm/year" shows, there are cycles and dips.

So if you got specific Shig pricing questions, drop me a line!

For those who follow me in Instagram know that a couple days ago I had to opportunity to visit the Shigefusa workshop and meet Mr. Iizuka san, his wife and two sons, Masayuki san and Yoshihide san. Not many words describe the honor be able to visit and the whole experience in itself; nothing short of a dream come true! Got a lot of questions answered around knives in my collection and was able to see some of the knife making processes in person. Simply stunning!

View media item 31103
View media item 31102

Wow thats amazing, for a super Shigefusa fan like yourself; must be a most precious and memorable momment. Very happy for you, living our collective knife boy dream. I recently acquired my first Shig, influenced by your posts [emoji14]

Did you ask him about what he thinks about the global craze for his knives? I'm sure they have always been taught after, carny not to the extent they are today. He looks like a cool guy, like to see some more pics and videos if you have them.

Nice knife but you know this is @Zweber12's personal gallery thread right? There is a separate thread for showing your new knives.
My bad, I’ll try and delete it. New here and should have read it closer. My apologies.

Couldn’t delete so I erased it.

Several people have contacted me already about my recent trip for additional information. If you ever make it Sanjo, I can highly recommend contacting Mr. Yasushi Kawakami from the N.G.A. (Niigata Guide Association; niigata.guide.association[a]gmail.com; 070-1554-0902). He helped us out brilliantly and completely tailored our itinerary for the day.

Several people have contacted me already about my recent trip for additional information. If you ever make it Sanjo, I can highly recommend contacting Mr. Yasushi Kawakami from the N.G.A. (Niigata Guide Association; niigata.guide.association[a]gmail.com; 070-1554-0902). He helped us out brilliantly and completely tailored our itinerary for the day.
Great info! Thanks for sharing!

I wonder now how many people will going to visit them on a daily basis ;-P

Last edited:
Something simple, a nice piece of striped black ebony, which is mostly black

Or rosewood with a super dense burl that doesn't take away from the blade - i have some I can send you pics of.
Also, the right boxwood burl/red block.

Posted this image on my IG yesterday; a three year pursuit/quest to acquire this particular knife, a 300mm kitaeji yo. Any suggestions for which wood to use on the handle, let me know in a comment below!

3.jpg

The most basic, understated, dark wood you can find. Maybe heavy like ebony to counter some of the blade weight. Absolutely stunning Floris

Did you have to set up an appointment before the Shigefusa workshop visit?
If I have to travel to Japan in the future, I really want to stop by at Shigefusa. I really appreciate their work :)

Did you have to set up an appointment before the Shigefusa workshop visit?
If I have to travel to Japan in the future, I really want to stop by at Shigefusa. I really appreciate their work :)

The owner of the hotel I stayed at helped me out with the arrangements, i did not ask them for the details. The guide mentioned in a post above was helping out with the transport and translations. (I can recommend contacting him when you are in Sanjo, or planning on going, super guy and has a wealth of regional knowledge!)

The owner of the hotel I stayed at helped me out with the arrangements, i did not ask them for the details. The guide mentioned in a post above was helping out with the transport and translations. (I can recommend contacting him when you are in Sanjo, or planning on going, super guy and has a wealth of regional knowledge!)

I really appreciate you for passing that information along. You're the best!

Back