So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is crazy lol. The definite shig database. Is there anything they have made that you don’t own?

Knife type wise there are a few knives, like a hamokiri, though finish wise, the list is a bit longer if you think kitaeji/kasumi/kurouchi & wa & yo.

I think this is a relative unique Shigefusa kasumi nakiri. KU versions appear regularly for sale, occasionally a kitaeji one, but I have never seen a kasumi version:

3.jpg

Took this detailed kanji photo over the weekend.. amazing to see the deformation of the metal and when looking closely, you can make out the sequence of the chiseling.

View media item 31180

Just wondering do you have any leftie single bevel shigs? Just kind of wondering what is out there for lefties. :) And typically what is the markup for a lefty version?

Just wondering do you have any leftie single bevel shigs? Just kind of wondering what is out there for lefties. :) And typically what is the markup for a lefty version?

Hi Daizone, I am a 'rightie,' thus never focused on acquiring left handed Shigefusa knives. Regardless, yes, there are left handed single bevel blades out there, sporadically you can see a few pop up. The last one publicly sold (at least i was able to recorded in my data set) was in April of this year. There is a slight mark up, but I have to say this is marginally given the recent price fluctuations.

Posting this here as well, a nice graph showing the sales popularity of the different Shigefusa Gyutos, both Wa & Yo handles, Kitaeji and Kasumi. Data comes from the data set I keep, n=181

Yes just like those, beautiful. Curious if you know how many of these exist? Seem like true Unicorns.

Also love to get your opinion on performance? They look nice but will they "cuuttt"

How many exist? Hard to say, but i am pretty confident the answer is 'very little.' Do they cut? God yes, I use my 270mm kasumi several times a week and its a delight to use; chicken, beef, you name it, the knife will slice through with great ease.

I received an interesting question this morning: "Are people selling more Shigefusa knives after Thanksgiving to fund Christmas purchases?" I took a look at number of Shigs sold and its total value (in USD) and came up with this hybrid graph:

Based on the above, would say, no, there is already a large lead up of sales starting mid summer, where i do not see a significant enough uptake in November and December to confirm the inital question. One comment i could make, we do see a larger number of knives sold compared to the value. IMHO could indicate the sale of 'cheaper' (if such a word exist nowadays for Shigefusa knives) items, such as KU.

However, the data above shows all Shigefusa sales, including those of known re-sellers. Shigefusa themselves have their production schedules and these are taken into account tin the numbers above. The assumption here is that 10 knives finished in December, will hit the market around the same period and thus be recorded (if i can find them and add the sales to my xls.) So simply put, i took out the sales from the known re-sellers, then i get this graph:

A completely different picture and with some confidence, i could say, yes, a higher numbers of knives are sold/come on the market from non known re-sellers post Thanksgiving.

After 891 days between the first kitaeji yo I purchased (240mm) and last one 270mm; the series is now complete!

kit_yo_all2.jpg

Do you have shigefusa kasumi yanagi 300mm!? If you have what is the weight of the knife?!

Do you have shigefusa kasumi yanagi 300mm!? If you have what is the weight of the knife?!

I never owned a 300mm kasumi, though did own a 270 which was 151 grams. My kitaeji 300mm yanagiba weights 203 grams, whilst the 270 kitaeji NOS is 185 grams, and non NOS version 137. If you google, you might end up on my site, kitaeji[.]com; you can find all the knife measurements of my current (and past) collection.

you can probably google search this quite easily, in fact took me longer to type than to look it up...

So, you don’t know. But it is okay. I just found out it is around 160 to 180g.

I never owned a 300mm kasumi, though did own a 270 which was 151 grams. My kitaeji 300mm yanagiba weights 203 grams, whilst the 270 kitaeji NOS is 185 grams, and non NOS version 137. If you google, you might end up on my site, kitaeji[.]com; you can find all the knife measurements of my current (and past) collection.

Thank you very much for your information. Friend of mine has one. It is very light. The weight of his is 155 G. But he has been used for a long time. We just want to find out the original weight

Back