Stainless petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb1551

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Petty

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 100-150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200-ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Misc tasks for a small knife

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Mercer paring knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Assorted for peeling, slicing, etc

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Assorted for peeling, slicing, etc

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Better aesthetics, Edge Retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'm looking for a smaller knife for miscellaneous tasks that'll be more convenient than one of my larger knives. I like R2 and darker wa handles, but am open to suggestions. So far, a few have caught my eye, but I'd be interested if anyone has advice or a recommendation. Thanks!

Shiro Kamo (https://www.**************.com/shkasg2dape11.html)
Shibata (https://www.**************.com/shkor2pe15.html) Maybe the Shibata Ko-Bunka instead of the petty?
Yoshimi Kato (Yoshimi Kato SG2 Minamo Petty 120/150 mm or Yoshimi Kato SG2 Suminagashi Petty 120mm)

I love our JCK Natures Blue Clouds 135mm VG10 yo petty. It’s our knock-around, leave it dirty when you’re in a hurry, utility knife in the kitchen that probably get’s used more frequently than anything else on the rack. Holds a very usable but mediocre edge forever to the point that I just basically sharpen it once or twice a year out of random compulsion more so than any need. It’s a relatively thick, robust grind and my wife who’s basically scared of knives uses it for everything including cutting up 20 pound watermelons.

On the other end of the performance spectrum, I have a stainless-clad AS Y Kato wa 150mm petty. It’s very thin, and a great performer. It’s much more delicate than the JCK but very precise, takes a very sharp edge easily, looks great, and is really fun to use. It’s so light it feels like a toy, but a very dangerous one.

You should be able to get either of the above for well under $150, although with the Y Kato I’d wait for a discount code from one of the major vendors, which happens pretty regularly.

I have a SLD Petty from Masashi Yamamoto that i can recommend, I'm really amazed how long it stays sharp. it's nicely thin.
It's difficult to see through the different Masashi lines, I have the non damascus version from Dictum.
I also have a Kobayashi SG2 gyuto which is an awesome slicer, I expect the same from the pettys.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Mercer paring knife
Best knife for paring is a paring knife. Just saying, because in most cases a petty, even if it has a very narrow blade, will be not the best substitute.

If you are sure you still want a petty:
Better for paring is a petty with low height at the heel. If you want the petty for working on the cutting board, you want more height at the heel.
You see, a petty is kind of a "compromise knife"; Ok for many things but not particularly good at anything.

So you should find out what you actually need/ want to use before searching "anything" with better edge retention and aesthetics.

And a paring knife also does not really need good edge retention. I use cheap paring knives from Zwilling and the likes with soft steels and yet, these are the knives i sharpen the least.

What jaydee said. Either you buy a petty or a paring knife, but asking 1 knife to do both simply isn't ideal. Neither are compromise lengths / knives like trying to use 120 petties in both roles.

Either of these. I've got 2 of the Ryusei's (240 and 210) in VG7 and am very happy with the steel. Fully stainless, takes a good edge and holds it, tough. Sharpens similarly to ginsan. Excellent grind as Makoto is a professional sharpener.

https://tokushuknife.com/collection...kurosaki-ryusei-vg7-petty-150mm-cherry-handle
Tsunehisa SRS-13 is where my brain first went when reading this. CPM steel. I got my mom the 80 mm paring version of this knife and it was nice, haven't sharpened it yet though but has held a nice edge since Christmas.

https://tokushuknife.com/collection...isa-srs-13-migaki-135mm-petty-rosewood-handle

Best knife for paring is a paring knife. Just saying, because in most cases a petty, even if it has a very narrow blade, will be not the best substitute.

If you are sure you still want a petty:
Better for paring is a petty with low height at the heel. If you want the petty for working on the cutting board, you want more height at the heel.
You see, a petty is kind of a "compromise knife"; Ok for many things but not particularly good at anything.

So you should find out what you actually need/ want to use before searching "anything" with better edge retention and aesthetics.

And a paring knife also does not really need good edge retention. I use cheap paring knives from Zwilling and the likes with soft steels and yet, these are the knives i sharpen the least.

Yup. For in-hand paring work, like peeling an orange, I still grab my Wusthof paring. Those Western factory knives are just the perfect size, shape, and ergonomics for that kind of work.

Yup. For in-hand paring work, like peeling an orange, I still grab my Wusthof paring. Those Western factory knives are just the perfect size, shape, and ergonomics for that kind of work.
They're not necessarily perfect... but there's fairly little competition from Japan in that arena. Most knife makers don't even make a paring knife, and for some reason most of the handmade are of the tall persuasion. The only ones that seem half-decent and to be made in volume are from Seki, but I've never been willing to take the plunge on one for over a hundred bucks.

Thanks all. I'm going to be checking these recommendations.

For those recommending a paring knife, I don't know how much paring I actually do, even though I'm replacing a paring knife - basically all of my peeling is done with a y-peeler, I would mostly be using it for trimming and small cuts (slice of lemon/lime, garlic, herbs, etc) where I think a little more length might be useful (the paring knife I have now is 3.5" and definitely feels a bit small to my hands) but it feels like overkill to pull out (and clean) a full-sized knife.

Back