Storing vs Displaying your collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Browsing the "How many kitchen knives do you own" thread for me wondering.

How do you store/ display your knives?

Particularly those with collections, do you have knives in multiple locations/ types of storage and display? Do you organize by size, type, or maker?

I'm hoping to see some inspiration.
I love seeing/ using my knives, in my home kitchen. However, the wife thinks we look insane.

I'm hoping to still display my knives within easy reach without making us look too much like "serial killers".

I've been messing around with different styles of knife stands and would love to see what other folks have!

Currently, I am using these. The magnetic, folding stand I made from Blue Mahoe. The others are from a Chestnut which fell in my backyard.

*I used some left over red oak for the bases of the folding stand

Attachments

• 20220713_055015.jpg
    20220713_055015.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_055045.jpg
    20220713_055045.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_055127.jpg
    20220713_055127.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_055332.jpg
    20220713_055332.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_054941.jpg
    20220713_054941.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm hoping to still display my knives within easy reach without making us look too much like "serial killers".
I don’t know think this can be achieved - display a collection of knives and have non knife people be like “oh that’s completely normal”. Screw ‘em, they’ll never understand you like your KKF peeps

I display all on the counter; if I can’t display them then I’m not buying more to stick in a drawer. Also it’s a lot of fun to stand there trying to pick which knife to use while seeing them all standing there waving their hands like “oooh pick me! pick me!”

I shared these photos before but here they are again. For me, an artistic display helps to make the collection look more like intentional home decor than just a pile of knives. I’ve loosely organized them by size and roughly separated by Western vs Japanese.

BTW @Reptyle give me a heads-up when you’re ready to sell that Neil Ayling nakiri!

D4F688E6-135D-47FC-BA7B-85A2ECBDB35B.jpeg

D1A095C1-1D63-4FA9-B8BE-3D5FAB34921F.jpeg

Browsing the "How many kitchen knives do you own" thread for me wondering.

How do you store/ display your knives?

Particularly those with collections, do you have knives in multiple locations/ types of storage and display? Do you organize by size, type, or maker?

I'm hoping to see some inspiration.
I love seeing/ using my knives, in my home kitchen. However, the wife thinks we look insane.

I've been messing around with different styles of knife stands and would love to see what other folks have!

Currently, I am using these. The magnetic, folding stand I made from Blue Mahoe. The others are from a Chestnut which fell in my backyard.

Not just serial killers... serial killers with CLASS!

I know I have posted mine before as well....

View attachment 188332

Unfortunately....unlike my more fiscally disciplined colleague Delat, I have another 30 or so in drawers and knife rolls in my closet. I really should sell some......
Damn Fred, this has to be one of the coolest setups I’ve seen. It’s like a knife dojo, serial killer or not I’m going to want to come in and check it out

Just had these delivered from Tas ... Will is so incredibly talented ... natural magnet strips all Tasmanian woods. The living edge (Blackwood)
will be at hands length / wall mounted for the daily users and the rest will be in a case (?) ... they are long - the shorter living edge one is 450 mm and the others are 680 mm. His knives are even more amazing IMO ... Newham Knives ... thx Will!!

The longer ones are Blackheart Sassafras (core), Jarrah and Shoeak ... according to Will

Wills pics (show the color better);

VJQQ0508.JPG
VSSJ1104.JPG
\
WMBO4170.JPG

My pics from yesterday upon receipt;

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8036.JPG

Plus the mounting system (hidden) is amazing and simple to do ... well thought out.

Interesting thread.

I started out like most of us … a few knives in boxes and a couple of knife blocks.

None of these really worked the way I wanted … why have all these nice knives and have them packed away where I can’t see them?
F368D86C-DEFA-45FF-8700-488B31E06211.jpeg

Answer … the amazing Will Newham! Perfect Mag strips. … Behold …

F368D86C-DEFA-45FF-8700-488B31E06211.jpeg

I also found some nice mag strips that worked too. Finally though I had to order another couple of strips from Will.

7D417019-1B2C-4C46-BEC5-6EBC315AB988.jpeg

They will go up soon and I have some nice recent knife acquisitions to fill them up.

What’s really interesting is if you run the numbers on the value of my “knife wall”. If any of my wives (I’ve had three) suggested buying a painting of equivalent value to hang on the wall I would have come unglued … I’d say “are you Crazy”. Imagine a wife that would be so extravagant!

I dont have any good quality knives like all of you Guys! But, this is my "butcher" side on one wall with some randoms on the right. 81" of cherry with magnets. Have a similar length barnwood one on main counter wall. I got copper pans and cast iron all over the place so kinda fits with everything. Still get the serial killer comments though.
20220713_184451.jpg

I dont have any good quality knives like all of you Guys! But, this is my "butcher" side on one wall with some randoms on the right. 81" of cherry with magnets. Have a similar length barnwood one on main counter wall. I got copper pans and cast iron all over the place so kinda fits with everything. Still get the serial killer comments though. View attachment 188362
That’s a great look. Is that a butcher block top?

I dont have any good quality knives like all of you Guys! But, this is my "butcher" side on one wall with some randoms on the right. 81" of cherry with magnets. Have a similar length barnwood one on main counter wall. I got copper pans and cast iron all over the place so kinda fits with everything. Still get the serial killer comments though. View attachment 188362

Ok, that’s the serial killer vibe right there 🤣

When I see your collection I always try to run the numbers but I can’t add that high 😅.

Which knife has a tag hanging on it?

That’s actually a Wa handled S grind Gyuto by Robyn Dalman. I have several of his knives in my collection and love them all. Add to that is that he is a gentleman and a really fine person.

I know I have posted mine before as well....

View attachment 188332

Unfortunately....unlike my more fiscally disciplined colleague Delat, I have another 30 or so in drawers and knife rolls in my closet. I really should sell some......
That ShiHan looks so naked next to all the cars with racing stripes. Poor lil guy

Another vote for Newham knife racks

I have over 2m of rack space beside the fridges... its now full so I have to now start one in/one out purchasing. I think its a good way to rationalise the collection to ones that you find most special

20200515_122330.jpg

20200710_140718.jpg

Current collection as of today - the gap on the third rack is waiting for my birthday knife (August)
20220714_203545.jpg

There is the best (Newham’s strips) … then there is the rest!

The only problem is the wait list. … I’ve obtained custom knives faster than Will’s knife racks. No complaint there … Will’s a busy busy man. I hear he is working on a wall display method for his incredible (and other makers) saya’s. Count me in!

I hide them in a large cardboard box behind my couch so I don’t have to face the crippling shame of spending so much money on them. It also saves me trying to explain why they make me happy when I could probably cook the same food with a pocket knife.

I need to figure something out.

Every time I start to look into new solutions I start comparing my knife storage budget to the next Knife I am lusting for.

1C0F20B9-FC58-40E7-91D9-AACEA85C3BCE.jpeg

F77D775B-0D73-479C-9D22-48CB6FB4054C.jpeg

1405A63D-69CC-483D-A2FB-695905663474.jpeg

D9140A70-67A5-4244-A31E-D2A46A752809.jpeg

PS. Dont mind the Globals. They are my Late-FIL's collection, that hold quite a bit of sentimental value for my Lady.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!
It sounds like looking like a serial killer may be inevitable, because I'm with @Delat , I want to be able to enjoy looking at my knives as well as using them.

Sadly, I don't have the room for a wall mounted magnetic rack, my kitchen is too tiny. I had some gorgeous katalox I wanted to make into one, but there would be no where to hang it. Those pieces by Newham are beautiful though!

I may have to try @birdsfan idea and start making sayas and a stand.
It's less creepy if the knife has a pretty saya... right? Maybe?

Also @Brian Weekley , I just have to say, that is an incredible collection. Looks phenomenal on the wall!

Eh don't feel like that. I have zero cutting boards completed. One of the cool things about this hobby is that there are a number of different ways to enjoy it. As long as we learn and grow, it is time (and money?) well spent.

Amen brother! Exactly my musings this evening. :)

Back