Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mhhh please tell me more about the power of a 240mm suji. Ive been looking at 210-240mm suji/petties for a while now but my biggest fear is always buying a knife i think ill use a lot but end up never using and having to resell later

Don’t fear that, it happens all the time and it’s how you figure out what you like, want, and/or need in a knife.

I do (or did before the turds hit the turbines) a fair bit of slicing. A 240 is good for versatility and small spaces. A 270 is good for a go-to suji. A 300 might be unnecessary for some applications but the Tou 300 slices meats better than anything I’ve ever tried (haven’t tried the Toyama or Heiji though). I find that for pure slicing, either seriously heavy or full on laser works equally well and slightly better than anything in between. All of mine will last a busy Saturday, couple hundred pieces of meat, and all will need to be sharpened afterwards; the stainless especially high carbide stuff will need less sharpening than the carbon and the Hinoura White 2 will need the most - except the Tou, that one holds the best, but it’s also the heaviest and longest so I can’t say precisely how much is the steel.

as a footnote I bought that silly thing and am immensely happy with it, didn’t think I’d ever seriously recommend it to someone though, and here I am doing that for the second time!

Don’t fear that, it happens all the time and it’s how you figure out what you like, want, and/or need in a knife.

I do (or did before the turds hit the turbines) a fair bit of slicing. A 240 is good for versatility and small spaces. A 270 is good for a go-to suji. A 300 might be unnecessary for some applications but the Tou 300 slices meats better than anything I’ve ever tried (haven’t tried the Toyama or Heiji though). I find that for pure slicing, either seriously heavy or full on laser works equally well and slightly better than anything in between. All of mine will last a busy Saturday, couple hundred pieces of meat, and all will need to be sharpened afterwards; the stainless especially high carbide stuff will need less sharpening than the carbon and the Hinoura White 2 will need the most - except the Tou, that one holds the best, but it’s also the heaviest and longest so I can’t say precisely how much is the steel.

as a footnote I bought that silly thing and am immensely happy with it, didn’t think I’d ever seriously recommend it to someone though, and here I am doing that for the second time!
haha that is true id def be more willing to try new knives if **** didnt jsut hit the fan

That Tou is, as the Internet would say,
M E G A C H O N K

Attachments

• DSC00284_1080x.jpg
    DSC00284_1080x.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 36
Sujis don't get too much talk here so I thought I would like to hear what are other peoples preferences with the sujis, the lenght, height, stiffness, all carbon/stainless,s clad? what do you use it for? Is suji only for slicing protein or do you use it for other products, tasks or tricks too?

And yes I know that yanagibas do exist but I would like to keep this thread with sujihikis(double bevels).

I am planning to get 300mm suji later this year, so nothing wrong with some good suggestions:)
This is probably one of my fave off the shelf sujis whenever I do window shopping
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...hin-ittetsu-300mm-blue-hon-kasumi-wa-sujihiki

That has a nice and a bit different looking profile and blue2 steel which is at the moment my favorite steel to sharpen(Toyama). I've been eyeing the Itetsu 240 white2 gyuto too now that you mention gesshin...
That's weird, Toyama/wat blue2 is one of my.least favorite carbons to sharpen

That's weird, Toyama/wat blue2 is one of my.least favorite carbons to sharpen
That's no weird, I' ve been sharpen only a little while so my mind may be very different after next few months.

Anyone find that kurouchi creates drag when cutting protein? Been looking at a couple of KU sujis... (thick KU, like Kochi or Hinoura)

Last edited:
I wipe almost obsessively... Typically every 3 slices on a large roast if the knife hasn't formed a stable patina yet, and don't push it much past six or eight if it has. I wash and dry carbon immediately after the job is complete.

I'm not talking about loss of bite after the job is done, and the blade sits... I'm talking about losing it during the job.

It makes me curious that you've been having such a different experience... Honestly. We're talking similar experiences, right? Hot (Just out of resting) and seasoned rare beef roast, portioning it into umpteen 1/4 to 3/8" thick slices... Your freshly sharpened Shirogami or 10XX blade doesn't lose any bite from the start to finish on that job? If you're not experiencing that, I'm curious what's the factor that makes it different for us from a scientific angle. It's an interesting question, if the factors in our experiences are identical. Both of us clearly have experiences we don't doubt. So there must be a factor that makes them different.

- Steampunk
Hi Steampunk, can you give me some advice about sharpening sujihiki ? I don't know should i stop on 1K or better stop on 2K/ Uchigumori.

These days i stop on Uchigumori i found the edge is sharper, but seems didn't last longer than 1k....

Also curious on kurouchi for sujis. I'm thinking of getting some sort of a Munetoshi down the line, not sure if a suji or the butcher knife would be a better expression of that style. Maybe butcher based on the feedback on raw carbon steel here, plus my 240 Zakuri gyuto is pretty well worn down to a suji at this point :).

That's no weird, I' ve been sharpen only a little while so my mind may be very different after next few months.
Its not wiered, pandas just have clumsy paws by nature; I wound not trust one about still abrasion. ;)

Hi Steampunk, can you give me some advice about sharpening sujihiki ? I don't know should i stop on 1K or better stop on 2K/ Uchigumori.

These days i stop on Uchigumori i found the edge is sharper, but seems didn't last longer than 1k....

Suji's on red meat, I've found it best to finish on incredibly low grits. 300-600. Basically, finish it as low as you can comfortably deburr. Poultry seems to like a little higher edge. 1-5K or an equivalent natural. Fish, if you're not using single bevels, seems to like really high grit edges; 8-12K+ or equivalent natural. Veg, finish it like you would a gyuto; 1-6K or similar natural.

Uchigumori edge will be 'sharper' (More push cutting performance, less tooth.), but if you have food acids or tough fibers you have to cut through, big teeth matter more and last longer in hot proteins.

Hope this helps...

- Steampunk

Suji's on red meat, I've found it best to finish on incredibly low grits. 300-600. Basically, finish it as low as you can comfortably deburr. Poultry seems to like a little higher edge. 1-5K or an equivalent natural. Fish, if you're not using single bevels, seems to like really high grit edges; 8-12K+ or equivalent natural. Veg, finish it like you would a gyuto; 1-6K or similar natural.

Uchigumori edge will be 'sharper' (More push cutting performance, less tooth.), but if you have food acids or tough fibers you have to cut through, big teeth matter more and last longer in hot proteins.

Hope this helps...

- Steampunk
Thanks for your advice, I'll try next time finish on low grit, basically i only use sujihiki for red meat, gyuto i finish on 2K/ Uchigumori, when i cut a lot of red pepper, i finish on 1k & single bevel deba finish with Uchigumori also.

A friend on here whose opinions I think are usually pretty spot on told me recently that wide bevel sujis all suck for cooked meat, because the sharp shinogi line separates the fibers and makes for a more ragged cut.

Has this also been your experience? Please discuss! Why are there so many wide bevel sujis out there? Are you all just using them for raw protein? Do you think they all suck?

I don't have one currently, But am looking into getting a cheap daily driver 270mm specifically for descaling fish in a professional environment. I chose the yanagi as my main slicer.

Sujis don't get too much talk here so I thought I would like to hear what are other peoples preferences with the sujis, the lenght, height, stiffness, all carbon/stainless,s clad? what do you use it for? Is suji only for slicing protein or do you use it for other products, tasks or tricks too?

And yes I know that yanagibas do exist but I would like to keep this thread with sujihikis(double bevels).

I am planning to get 300mm suji later this year, so nothing wrong with some good suggestions:)

I love sujis, prefer them over yanagis because of it's versatility—sometimes will grab them instead of a gyuto to do everything from raw and cooked proteins to veg. Here're the ones in my kitchen—sizes are 230, 360, 270, 240—the 360 is not mine, but borrowed. The two that are used most are the 230 Yanick and 240 Heiji semi-stainless. For me, a suji can do pretty much everything a gyuto can. I'm a carbon fan, reactivity never an issue for me. If I were buying my first suji, knowing what I know now of how I cook, I would buy a 230 or 240. I also dig stiffer, taller sujis.

1A2A7187-74FE-4C8D-85FA-84E6449FD715 2.jpeg

270 W#2 Kagekiyo suji - nothing shorter but a 300 would have been nice. I have a 210 Konosuke Fujiyama Petty that I use if i need something shorter for slicing or trimming. Kagekiyo on top followed by T-F Nashiji, Konosuke HD2 gyuto, Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 gyuto, T-F 150 Nashiji Petty and a Konosuke 150 GS Petty.

Attachments

• P1010374.JPG
    P1010374.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
A friend on here whose opinions I think are usually pretty spot on told me recently that wide bevel sujis all suck for cooked meat, because the sharp shinogi line separates the fibers and makes for a more ragged cut.

Has this also been your experience? Please discuss! Why are there so many wide bevel sujis out there? Are you all just using them for raw protein? Do you think they all suck?
I never use wide bevel suji before, sorry can't comment.

Don't know that I've used a wide. A proper suji would be too short for it to be effective. And I don't like wide bevel gyuto. So I'm thinking that's a no.

Back