Sydney Knife Show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thrilled to learn that Will Newham was just awarded Best Chef’s Knife at the Sydney Knife Show for one of his Heirloom Series Gyutos. I don’t have a picture of the winning knife, but it is very similar to the Heirloom 1 (H1) knife Will did for me. If you are interested take a wander over to Will’s feed on IG (newhamknives) and have a look at his award winning knife. Here is a pic of my H1 knife … this is similar to, but NOT the award winning knife.

5EE5053C-5987-40C1-B2FC-1B2A9005A5C4.jpeg

But here is something to think about. Will received a lot of support and customers from KKF members over the past few years. Without that support it’s possible that his craft wouldn’t have evolved to where it is today … and where it will be tomorrow.

I say “GOOD ON KKF” … we have all contributed to the development of something we are all passionate about.

I also say “CONGRATULATIONS WILL NEWHAM” … from your ardent supporters at KKF.

can anyone share their opinions on the various steels on offer. I see nitroV, San Mai, and W2 Honyaki. Not sure which direction to go in

can anyone share their opinions on the various steels on offer. I see nitroV, San Mai, and W2 Honyaki. Not sure which direction to go in
Depends on what you want in your knife, Nitro-V is a stainless steel based on Aeb-l and share some similaritires like good toughness. San Mai just means cladded, so still depends on the specific core steel you are getting, W2 Honyaki has really nice hamon, but you have to care for it a little more than usual for it to stay that way.

Thanks! I suppose I knew this already, was more so looking for those who own a particular example to chime in and push me in one direction 😅. Big fan of his recent Honkyaki offerings aesthetics wise.

Back