Takefu steel - who’s making bangin’ knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I’ve been around, the more I come back to Takefu steel. V2 is a favorite, R2 definitely has its place, very interested in Shiro2 (the Takefu version). Who’s out there making crackin knives with Takefu steel? I have Kochi in V2, Ryusen in R2 (kind of a pain to deburr, would love to try a better option). Nothing in Shiro2. What’s the group know?

I like the Suminagashi 22 layer with white core from Takefu. I use it quite a bit
I switched to oil quenching from water. Found it to be chippy when water quenched

Attachments

• 3903BB45-69BA-4098-8F13-A3C6323ABDB3.jpeg
    3903BB45-69BA-4098-8F13-A3C6323ABDB3.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 64
Nope, they are all Takefu steel. Kevin said that those Takefu smiths order their steel from Takefu steel.
Takefu doesn't make Super Blue or Blue #2 or White #2. They might stock Hitachi steels for the smith's to use. But no, Takefu does NOT make any Hitachi steels.

After there Takefu variants of aogami and aogami super then? They seem to be popular for Masakage knives.

I have heard of Takefu Shiro 2, but my understanding was the Shirogami name was a branded Hitachi label.

Vg10 seems to come from Takefu.

Happy to learn more.

Takefu doesn't make Super Blue or Blue #2 or White #2. They might stock Hitachi steels for the smith's to use. But no, Takefu does NOT make any Hitachi steels.
Either they pre-laminate the Hitachi Steel or they use Takefu Steel Equivalent. V-Toku 1 is the equivalent to Blue Super, V-Toku2 is the equivalent to Blue 2. If they are using Hitachi Steel they usually say it's Yasugi Steel. It's also easier to market it as the equivalent steel than using their brand steel. I remember the rainbow Damascus steel that Saji/Hinoura use. some retailers name it as V-Toku 2, some as Blue 2. I'm guessing it's the same steel that Takefu made.

Either they pre-laminate the Hitachi Steel or they use Takefu Steel Equivalent. V-Toku 1 is the equivalent to Blue Super, V-Toku2 is the equivalent to Blue 2. If they are using Hitachi Steel they usually say it's Yasugi Steel. It's also easier to market it as the equivalent steel than using their brand steel. I remember the rainbow Damascus steel that Saji/Hinoura use. some retailers name it as V-Toku 2, some as Blue 2. I'm guessing it's the same steel that Takefu made.
Don't think Hitachi would like that. That'd be like Honda selling cars they make as Toyota's.

Doesn't mean it or you are correct.
it's true. I think it's also the knife distributor and retailer who decide to advertises it like that. Some of the smiths that maybe uses a Hitachi steel is the single bevel maker one. since it's maybe not pre-laminated and they stamp it Yasuki steel in the ura

Back