TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I thought I had big hands, but you win.

Don't keep us in suspense, man. How does it cut?

It cuts damn well! As expected it desparately needs easing on the spine and choil. The offline handle is a non issue. It needs thinning - it's a whopping 1,6mm thick 1cm up from the edge.

It cuts damn well! As expected it desparately needs easing on the spine and choil. The offline handle is a non issue. It needs thinning - it's a whopping 1,6mm thick 1cm up from the edge.
1.6mm at 1cm is huge. Around 1mm is what you would aim for with a general purpose blade. Call it a project knife.

If it's no optical illusion, it's a serious problem. Not a cosmetic flaw.

I know, I was kidding. :) The very end of the heel on mine has a slight up-curve in the profile. It's not noticeable in use, unlike a down-curve. Wabi-sabi !!!

For the thickness on mine, I'll start thinning it later, when I go after the spine and choil.

I know, I was kidding. :) The very end of the heel on mine has a slight up-curve in the profile. It's not noticeable in use, unlike a down-curve. Wabi-sabi !!!

For the thickness on mine, I'll start thinning it later, when I go after the spine and choil.
I would expect it to result in accordeoning at use. There is a 'frown', a reverse belly behind, that doesn't touch the board.

Last edited:
1.6mm at 1cm is huge. Around 1mm is what you would aim for with a general purpose blade. Call it a project knife.

yes but if you look at it optimistically, it means you'll have a lot of metal and life left after you flatten the bevels. no accounting for what the shinogi's gonna look like afterwards though lol.

I would say a very slight upswing at the heel makes forward slicing easier. What do you find helpful about a little recurve instead?

I think we're on the same page here.

A smile (or upswing as you say) on the back 1/2 cm makes gyutos (especially tall ones with lots of belly) easier to work with. In particular, there's no abrupt stop at the flat spot of the heel when you're push cutting and using the belly of the knife.

If you disagreed and wanted the last part of the heel to poke out in a frown, that would cause according cutting because the heel wouldn't make full contact with the board with the pokey part at the end.

EDIT: I was using the word recurve incorrectly, I think.

Latest posts

Back