TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a scanner for digitizing 3D objects. Sorry but I see no wabi-sabi in these products.
Back on message. A collection of wabi-sabi goodness.

What length is the bottom one of the two Denka gyutos?
Love the profile on that one(the top one looks very good also). So many of the newer TF's I see pictured have this very upswept belly/tip profile I don't care for.

What length is the bottom one of the two Denka gyutos?
Love the profile on that one(the top one looks very good also). So many of the newer TF's I see pictured have this very upswept belly/tip profile I don't care for.
Its 197mm edge length.

Respectfully disagree. Leicas aren’t overpriced, it’s just that many can’t afford to acquire them—they cost what they cost. Definitely not a bang-for-buck camera, but their great cameras—the feel and photo quality better than any 35mm I’ve used.
View attachment 129386

something about this picture with TF, red pakka handle and Leica….it’s just simply awesome!!!🙏🙏🙏

something about this picture with TF, red pakka handle and Leica….it’s just simply awesome!!!🙏🙏🙏

Cheers! Both are obviously well know within their respective spheres of enthusiasts. Although the Leica certainly has a longer, more celebrated history—it's easy to compile a list of legendary photographers who used Leicas, but difficult (at least for me) to find even a small list of legendary chefs who use TF knives. When I bought my Leica, circa 1999, the photojournalists who recommended me buying a Leica rangefinder—I'm from a media background—didn't refer to Leica as "a camera," but all considered is as "the camera." Iconic for its history, revered for its quality—to me, no other camera feels like a Leica, or takes better 35mm photographs.

My TF denka is a very good knife. However, it's still somewhat controversial here—threads are rife with opposing arguments from both fans professing TF's glories and naysayers citing prices and wonkiness. To each their own.

I love both of these tools.

Funny enough reading this - TF is the Wabi-Sabi God, and Leica is pretty much the antithesis of Wabi-Sabi.

Yeah. However, knife nerds and camera nerds are very similar. Camera nerds can talk for hours on end about lenses regarding vintage glass quality vs modern glass, etc. Collecting gyutos generally cheaper than collecting cameras.

Nice ! The last three looks well polished (thinned?) 😎

Love the WA handle one with his small matchi and the overall balance !

What are the high and length on this one ?

Yeah. However, knife nerds and camera nerds are very similar. Camera nerds can talk for hours on end about lenses regarding vintage glass quality vs modern glass, etc.

Oh I am aware. I dallied with cameras for a while. Ironically, when I got to a level where my gear was pretty great, I stopped using it. Carrying around a DX format with a 35mm lens was one thing, once I "graduated" to FX and a selection of pro lenses, it became too much of a pain to carry it around.

Collecting gyutos generally cheaper than collecting cameras.

I guess, but isn't it generally "spend as much as you can" in either case? :D

Oh I am aware. I dallied with cameras for a while. Ironically, when I got to a level where my gear was pretty great, I stopped using it. Carrying around a DX format with a 35mm lens was one thing, once I "graduated" to FX and a selection of pro lenses, it became too much of a pain to carry it around.

I guess, but isn't it generally "spend as much as you can" in either case? :D

For years I used to go to the Photo Expo at the Javitz Center in NYC—an odd site to see some attendees walking around, decked out in a photo vest; three cameras around the neck; bag filled with lenses and other photo paraphernalia—being prepared I guess.

As for your second comment—you're right. Camera collectors range from dime store finds to high-end vintage, etc. With knife collecting, a friend told me that kitchen knives are cheap—compared to custom folding knives.

The thickest in my roll, my one and only Wabi Sabi.
20210601_224651_Burst01.jpg
20210601_224526.jpg

This thread is a little bit old but I'll jump in...

I got a Shiro-Knumitsu with a very raw "Wabi-Sabi" Kurouchi finish. The bevels seem very well done to me and the knive performs really good, while I also like the look.

But each person should use whatever they prefer, of course. Taste is not a choice...

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_195638.jpg
    IMG_20211229_195638.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20211229_195653.jpg
    IMG_20211229_195653.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 67
This thread is a little bit old but I'll jump in...

I got a Shiro-Knumitsu with a very raw "Wabi-Sabi" Kurouchi finish. The bevels seem very well done to me and the knive performs really good, while I also like the look.

But each person should use whatever they prefer, of course. Taste is not a choice...
A worthy addition to the definitive TF wabi sabi thread. Ooohh that choil.

I know it is not a Teruyasu, just wanted to mention my appreciation to the finish and that a knife can still perform great without a clean F&F.

I'm a sucker for rustic looks and things as much as I am for fancy, pretty and "perfect", BTW. Beauty can be found in so many places and things.

Last edited:
Back