Other The Best Damn Guacamole

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never tried it myself. Infact, if I did I think I would hold on lime or anything else that would thin the guacamole for storage. Just squeeze it on before serving.

I’ve seen guys put just a couple ounces of water on top of guacamole before it’s stored. I guess if you make guacamole thick enough you pour it right off later before use.

An extra squeeze of lime juice acts similarly, and the vitamin C in it, along with the plastic wrap goes a long way to prevent surface oxidization.

When I make this, I usually make a large batch, but even that never seems to last more than 2 days before it's eaten up, so it's never much of a concern. On day two, I'm usually eyeing things to pair it with that I might otherwise be too lazy to bother with from scratch.

Lemme know how it works!
If I tried this I’d choose a jar or something similar where a minimal amount of guacamole surface area is exposed to the water.
Following up - made this guac, but unfortunately it was not thick enough to try the water trick. Seemed like the water would just get mixed in. Also, I ended up eating all the guac. Next time. :)

Also, this recipe is really great. Thank you for sharing!!

Can I ask where you picked up your molcajete?

I bought one in Mexico City last year with the intention of bringing it back with me, but they took it at security! Apparently you're not allowed to bring rocks in your carry on bag, since it can be used as a weapon. I guess I get it, but it's a bit comical to me... by that logic, a lot of objects could be considered a weapon.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new molcajete and am bracing myself to have to pay triple the price.
Sorry, just saw this. Somebody was breaking up her house in San Diego and brought it to NYC for me. Meanwhile a piece of the "lava" just chipped off, I'm scared to use it now!

I got shaken down by TSA once because I had cedar shoe trees inside my shoes.

//sigh, that was the good old days, back when we could fly and complain about crowded airplanes just from a comfort point of view.

I’ve seen guys put just a couple ounces of water on top of guacamole before it’s stored. I guess if you make guacamole thick enough you pour it right off later before use.

Tried this today. Worked well! Day old guac.

EF20E2F5-91F5-49A7-9016-D974AD19FB6B.jpeg

Really interesting thread, puts things in perspective and promotes free styling. Never realized it just meant avocado sauce!

In Peru in a restaurant they made guacamole table side, just avocados, some diced tomato and white onion, salt and pepper. Can't beat good ingredients, is what I learned from that. Was super nice.

Got to try this out the past weekend. It was great! Thank you for sharing. I never considered de-flaming the onion and think I will be doing it from now on for guacs.

Back