the Sabatier appreciation thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old knives looking very astute with their new friends.
haha they do! I'm very pleased with them.

The 8" chef's feel great in hand, perfect dimensions for a small chef's knife or larger utility IMO. I'm planning on using it as a travel knife.

And the 9" slicer is my favorite length for a small suji/slicer - the Nogent handle makes it very nimble.

thanks again ;)

haha they do! I'm very pleased with them.

The 8" chef's feel great in hand, perfect dimensions for a small chef's knife or larger utility IMO. I'm planning on using it as a travel knife.

And the 9" slicer is my favorite length for a small suji/slicer - the Nogent handle makes it very nimble.

thanks again ;)
Have to admit, I regret a little letting go of that 8”, but nice to know it has a good home.

My K Sabatiers aren't likely to be among the lovely older models I'm seeing in this thread, but I'm pretty happy with them nevertheless. They were a thrift shop find at $1.00 per knife! Both were just ridiculously dull, but a little TLC on my stones brought them both back to life. I'll 100% be keeping an eye out for other Sabatier knives, particularly older models!

Kurt

Attachments

• K Sabatier.jpg
    K Sabatier.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 0
Does having the charmless modern 200/8 series count?
Boring as hell, bordering on ugly... but I think you'll struggle to find a better performing knife at the price. And the slicer is actually giving my ginga petty a run for its money. To the point that I'm thinking of buying a second one just to use as a reference for the future.

Attachments

• 1691310003532.jpg
    1691310003532.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Charmless, boring, ugly??
Don't rely on the first impression, especially not — but not only — with knives. It says more about what you're used to.

Does having the charmless modern 200/8 series count?
Boring as hell, bordering on ugly... but I think you'll struggle to find a better performing knife at the price. And the slicer is actually giving my ginga petty a run for its money. To the point that I'm thinking of buying a second one just to use as a reference for the future.
14C28N is really good steel, if European manufacturers switch their high end line to it, even without change much of the grind it still will be a huge improvement. Sadly seems like K-Sab is going to discontinue this line

14C28N is really good steel, if European manufacturers switch their high end line to it, even without change much of the grind it still will be a huge improvement. Sadly seems like K-Sab is going to discontinue this line
French makers seem to like different steels by Sandvik. I don't think the big Germans are closed to abandon Krupp, though.

Thanks! That does look great, what’s the grind like on them if I may?
Traditional European, right side evenly convexed over the entire face, left one flat except for where it has to join the edge. Even with the very thin 25cm chef's: thin but no laser. The 18cm one I've got is rather thick: probably with careless home users in mind. Even spine and tang are surprisingly a lot thicker.

Last edited:
Traditional European, right side evenly convexed over the entire face, left one flat except for where it has to join the edge. Even with the very thin 25cm chef's: thin but no laser. The 18cm one I've got is rather thick: probably with careless home users in mind.
Thanks!

Charmless, boring, ugly??
Don't rely on the first impression, especially not — but not only — with knives. It says more about what you're used to.
Don't get me wrong, I think they're great knives... but I don't think I'll ever change my opinion about the looks of the 200/8 series. They just don't have the same aesthethical quality the traditional knives have. Which is probably why they've never gathered much attention. It's a shame because they're actually worthy, and at the current price a great bang for the buck. But I can't blame anyone for overlooking them simply because they look rather dull. The eye also gets a vote.

Also FWIW, K-Sab actually said to me that they weren't discontinueing it.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great knives... but I don't think I'll ever change my opinion about the looks of the 200/8 series. They just don't have the same aesthethical quality the traditional knives have. Which is probably why they've never gathered much attention. It's a shame because they're actually worthy, and at the current price a great bang for the buck. But I can't blame anyone for overlooking them simply because they look rather dull. The eye also gets a vote.

Also FWIW, K-Sab actually said to me that they weren't discontinueing it.
That sounds good, maybe there’s hope they would do a drop forged 14C28N Sabatier in the future

I can actually see European mass-market knife makers switching more and more to better steels in response to the pressure from Japan and China. Zwilling is already doing it, I think it's a matter of time before it trickles down to the more affordable lines. I doubt it would have a huge impact on their bottom line and it would seem like a fairly easy switch to make.
But personally I'd be more interested in mass-market knives becoming thinner behind the edge.

I can actually see European mass-market knife makers switching more and more to better steels in response to the pressure from Japan and China. Zwilling is already doing it, I think it's a matter of time before it trickles down to the more affordable lines. I doubt it would have a huge impact on their bottom line and it would seem like a fairly easy switch to make.
But personally I'd be more interested in mass-market knives becoming thinner behind the edge.
The higher end Zwilling are still made in Japan tho, but they are pretty quick to react to market change.

The higher end Zwilling are still made in Japan tho, but they are pretty quick to react to market change.
Yes, regardless of where it's made, Zwilling has been much better at keeping up with the times than Wüsthof. They seem far more adaptive to new trends, and they're able to sort of 'hedge their bets' regardless of the direction the market goes. All I've really seen from Wüsthof is adding a santoku profile.

I can however think of one good reason why we might still see x50crmobydick15 for quite some time: I think it has better corrosion resistance, which means it does better at surviving dishwashing cycles and other forms of abuse and neglect.

I really wished tapered tangs made a comeback; almost no one is doing them anymore. But it's a very elegant solution to maintain a neutral or forward balance without making the whole blade heavier.

I really wished tapered tangs made a comeback; almost no one is doing them anymore. But it's a very elegant solution to maintain a neutral or forward balance without making the whole blade heavier.

Agree. HSC does that, a few other western makers as well, but of course at a higher price point. I guess it’s one of those things that we won’t see in mass produced knives anymore due to cost, same with wooden scales.

Picked up this set of knives from evilBay for $1.99 plus a little $ for shipping. I have no idea how old this Sabatier is, but I'm really looking forward to rehabbing it and putting a serious edge on it.

Attachments

• Both.JPG
    Both.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Handle.JPG
    Handle.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Logos.JPG
    Logos.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 0
Estate sale $2 pick up. Rusted and bent!
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

I know next to nothing of the Sab history over time. My main experience is from the mandatory kit I bought for culinary school in NYC, late 1980's. Bent rusty shown next to the one knife I kept from school, a very overused and underappreciated filet knife.

IMG_0928.jpg

For a guy that can sharpen, repair tipped knives, and thin, but no experience with full on restoration, where to start? Mostly, I've no experience with fixing a bend. Not worried about the old filet - I can fix the birds beak and I like the patina.

Back