The Washita Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the feel of the Hindostan. I used one a few days ago to set the bevel on a beater straight I recently purchased. It worked perfectly well for that but I think most would hate it because of it's speed or lack of.
Are the "Fast Cut" stones softer, finer or coarser?

That' s a beautiful stone cotedupy. It even looks fast standing still.

Here's a demonstration I did with a soft vs modern Wasita for cutting speed. The soft has a size advantage and they were both freshly lapped.

What a polite group we have on this form. I can't believe nobody gave me flack over that Henckels santoku. I actually own that knife, it's a terrible thing and a gift from my dear old mother. It holds an edge like no other in my kitchen because it never gets used. Decoration I suppose..

I like the feel of the Hindostan. I used one a few days ago to set the bevel on a beater straight I recently purchased. It worked perfectly well for that but I think most would hate it because of it's speed or lack of.
Did you grab the one in the BST? And sorry not having a hindo, I can't really compare. Pike also had something called "quick cut" that were apparently emery.

From the old catalog description, I'd say definitely faster, softer, maybe not more fine. (Just based on softer stones tend to be coarser.) Just based on the descriptions, as they just list hindo for axes n such. I can see it being good for bevel but past that probably not the best choice. I haven't used the fastcut yet since it went into my "oil box" I'm finally getting around to since they are some good stones that I now realize don't Need oil, but may work better.

The washita no. 1 from earlier, with the part of the label that was already glued down... At least I got most of the label off... 😑 Got close to clean, can see where under the label is almost snow white. Has some pinkish/Orange splotches. A lot better compared to before.
20220412_130750.jpg20220412_130757.jpg20220412_133522.jpg
I'll put it through it's paces with some chisels when I get a chance.

AFTER A FEW SOAKS, THE SG DID START TO EAT AT THE CA GLUE ON THE LABEL! So I retract my previous statement that it doesn't affect it. Just takes a while. You can see the label on the stone is slightly "fuzzy" looking. It's the CA that has worn, the shiney on the left is where the CA held up. I'm sure it will look fine with another thin coat. (Straight out SG, and rinsed)
20220412_134443.jpg

What a polite group we have on this form. I can't believe nobody gave me flack over that Henckels santoku. I actually own that knife, it's a terrible thing and a gift from my dear old mother. It holds an edge like no other in my kitchen because it never gets used. Decoration I suppose..
Haha, very true. Although I don't know any better if it's good or not. If nothing else your mom was thinking of you when she bought it, so that's always nice.

I did get one comment on the fact I have a kiwi though. 😆

Did you grab the one in the BST? And sorry not having a hindo, I can't really compare. Pike also had something called "quick cut" that were apparently emery.

From the old catalog description, I'd say definitely faster, softer, maybe not more fine. (Just based on softer stones tend to be coarser.) Just based on the descriptions, as they just list hindo for axes n such. I can see it being good for bevel but past that probably not the best choice. I haven't used the fastcut yet since it went into my "oil box" I'm finally getting around to since they are some good stones that I now realize don't Need oil, but may work better.

The washita no. 1 from earlier, with the part of the label that was already glued down... At least I got most of the label off... 😑 Got close to clean, can see where under the label is almost snow white. Has some pinkish/Orange splotches. A lot better compared to before.
View attachment 174754View attachment 174755View attachment 174756
I'll put it through it's paces with some chisels when I get a chance.

AFTER A FEW SOAKS, THE SG DID START TO EAT AT THE CA GLUE ON THE LABEL! So I retract my previous statement that it doesn't affect it. Just takes a while. You can see the label on the stone is slightly "fuzzy" looking. It's the CA that has worn, the shiney on the left is where the CA held up. I'm sure it will look fine with another thin coat. (Straight out SG, and rinsed)
View attachment 174760
I didn't buy the one on BST. I have had one for awhile now, an ebay stone that I was hoping for something else. If I remember correctly the Hindostans were graded by color. I'm not sure on how they differ.

I like to challenge myself and setting the bevel on the Hindostan was part of that. Hindo to a translucent. It worked out as well as one might expect and I went to a coticule and then the translucent.

That's a good looking No 1. Are you making a box for it?

I didn't buy the one on BST. I have had one for awhile now, an ebay stone that I was hoping for something else. If I remember correctly the Hindostans were graded by color. I'm not sure on how they differ.

I like to challenge myself and setting the bevel on the Hindostan was part of that. Hindo to a translucent. It worked out as well as one might expect and I went to a coticule and then the translucent.

That's a good looking No 1. Are you making a box for it?
Eh, at least it wasn't a synth 👍. Which did you like. Hindo>Translucent, Coti>Translucent?

Thanks, it was in a box if tools, I bought it for the stone though... Yeah, I got a few coticule ones I need to finish... Along with many other projects hah... Weather, along with trying to get some wood has delayed it a bit.

Eh, at least it wasn't a synth 👍. Which did you like. Hindo>Translucent, Coti>Translucent?

Thanks, it was in a box if tools, I bought it for the stone though... Yeah, I got a few coticule ones I need to finish... Along with many other projects hah... Weather, along with trying to get some wood has delayed it a bit.
Hindo, coti to translucent progression. I just tried to skip a stone to see if I could pull it off on a relatively fast translucent. I couldn't.

I use coticules quite a bit as an intermediate stone between a bevel setter and a finisher even though they can do both. Amazing stones.

Just did a SG on what I think is my Lily White and got 2.44. I didn't think that my decagram scale would be accurate enough but things were heavy enough that it seemed pretty good.

Just gorgeous! That was the unused NOS stone that came in a different box right? I was bidding on that too, just cos it was so pristine.

Went a bit beyond my budget in the end, but I slightly regret that. Even though it wasn't cheap... how often are you going to find an unused example of what must surely be the best knife stone ever made? Nice pickup :).

Err... the catalogues describe them as 'soft and fast cutting'. Which doesn't sound much like a Hindo to me at all tbh! But perhaps they meant comparatively.

Just gorgeous! That was the unused NOS stone that came in a different box right? I was bidding on that too, just cos it was so pristine.

Went a bit beyond my budget in the end, but I slightly regret that. Even though it wasn't cheap... how often are you going to find an unused example of what must surely be the best knife stone ever made? Nice pickup :).
Turns out it was just down the road from me all along, could have driven it home for half the price of shipping. The box is a bit of a mismatch, but not bad. It's definitely been used probably just a couple times, but at least covered in oil. That said, I'm pretty happy. You inspired me!

Turns out it was just down the road from me all along, could have driven it home for half the price of shipping. The box is a bit of a mismatch, but not bad. It's definitely been used probably just a couple times, but at least covered in oil. That said, I'm pretty happy. You inspired me!

Ah it's a gem! The reason I was bidding is because the one I picked up recently was the opposite - nice original box, ok label, and then the stone had been broken and badly fixed. I got it pretty cheap knowing that I could repair properly to make it unnoticeable in use. So I was going to be a wanky collector and have the pristine one sitting in the box, and my mended one to use ;).

Good that it's gone to a home where it'll actually get some action though!

Here's mine, with my new Sportsman India x Washita pocket stone.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 13.54.18.png

IMG-6685.JPG

IMG-6701.JPG

IMG-6790.JPG

Picked up this stone. I took a gamble on it which I hate doing as I've been burned to many times(and still am) it was much more than I'd normally throw at an unknown stone, but I loved the Mahagony box it came in.

First picture with the box is what I saw. I knew it was a natural(I figured no-one would make such a nice box for for a synthetic) the stone was not coming out, I had to clamp it in my wood vise and after several attempts(i didn't want to break it or the box) it popped out. To my surprise the original label was still stuck on the stone. "Pike Rosy Red Washita" Going to try and save the label and attach it to the inside of the lid and give this a good de-greasing. Box also had initials and a date of 1931 carved in it which I was unaware of during purchase. It appears to be added much later and "crudely" done.
20220418_170959.jpg
20220418_171036.jpg

Picked up this stone. I took a gamble on it which I hate doing as I've been burned to many times(and still am) it was much more than I'd normally throw at an unknown stone, but I loved the Mahagony box it came in.

First picture with the box is what I saw. I knew it was a natural(I figured no-one would make such a nice box for for a synthetic) the stone was not coming out, I had to clamp it in my wood vise and after several attempts(i didn't want to break it or the box) it popped out. To my surprise the original label was still stuck on the stone. "Pike Rosy Red Washita" Going to try and save the label and attach it to the inside of the lid and give this a good de-greasing. Box also had initials and a date of 1931 carved in it which I was unaware of during purchase. It appears to be added much later and "crudely" done.View attachment 175566View attachment 175567

WOAH!!!

This thread has a winner. Amazing. Congrats :).

First picture with the box is what I saw. I knew it was a natural(I figured no-one would make such a nice box for for a synthetic) the stone was not coming out, I had to clamp it in my wood vise and after several attempts(i didn't want to break it or the box) it popped out. To my surprise the original label was still stuck on the stone. "Pike Rosy Red Washita" Going to try and save the label and attach it to the inside of the lid and give this a good de-greasing. Box also had initials and a date of 1931 carved in it which I was unaware of during purchase. It appears to be added much later and "crudely" done.View attachment 175566View attachment 175567
Oh wow! That's a whole bunch of awesome.

Recently taking up some interesting in different stones, this thread is definitely a great read. I kind want to buy some finger stones or mini stones to touch up edges with out wiping out the big guys, saw some Akansas finger stones on Sharpeningsupplies , have anyone tried those out? Would love to hear some experience or advices.
Also interested how Washita compares to Jnat in terms of polishing.

Said stone Hard Translucent Arkansas Pocket Stone With Leather Pouch

Also Dan’s stone looks very interesting: https://danswhetstone.com/product/pocket-stones/

Last edited:
Recently taking up some interesting in different stones, this thread is definitely a great read. I kind want to buy some finger stones or mini stones to touch up edges with out wiping out the big guys, saw some Akansas finger stones on Sharpeningsupplies , have anyone tried those out? Would love to hear some experience or advices.
Also interested how Washita compares to Jnat in terms of polishing.

Said stone Hard Translucent Arkansas Pocket Stone With Leather Pouch

Also Dan’s stone looks very interesting: https://danswhetstone.com/product/pocket-stones/

I have several little surgical black and translucent pocket stones. I have them stuffed in silverware drawers and knife rolls and toolboxes. If you don't mind the super small format then they can be quite useful for deburring, quick touchups, etc.

The Buck Knife kit with sharpening oil, stranslucent & a coarser Arkansas is something I've used for over 50 years. It has touched up and finished off edges so they were razor sharp from pocket knives the chef cleavers. I've never felt the need to have really large stones as I use the quicker low speed diamond hone for the larger metal removal jobs.

I have several little surgical black and translucent pocket stones. I have them stuffed in silverware drawers and knife rolls and toolboxes. If you don't mind the super small format then they can be quite useful for deburring, quick touchups, etc.
Thank you! Just ordered a translucent Arkansas to try.

Edit: Decide to get a soft and hard Arkansas to try instead.

Last edited:
Probably should asked more… I’m still kind confused which stone should I get, I am primarily looking for a pocket stone to hone and quickly bring back the edge to my knives. My normal routine is SP1k then Ouka 3k. Just bought the medium and hard pocket stone, should go to extra fine or black stone instead?

Probably should asked more… I’m still kind confused which stone should I get, I am primarily looking for a pocket stone to hone and quickly bring back the edge to my knives. My normal routine is SP1k then Ouka 3k. Just bought the medium and hard pocket stone, should go to extra fine or black stone instead?

Medium and hard is good for knives. Translucent/surgical black/extra fine is more for razors

Nice pickups @stringer ! The arks look pretty lovely, but that old Washita is sweet af!

(p.s. I owe you money! Ping me payment deets...)

Last edited:
Back