There's more ways to spend money than knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old age crisis. Both our families live other
side of island so over the Pali often coming back H3 at night. She doesn't like to drive at
night esp. over mountain range. Sometimes in the rain. So she didn't mind my change of vehicles.

So got higher up than my hot rod Honda, 4 wheel drive excellent in the rain 2016 Subaru
Forrester with a fun to drive 6-speed manual.
It is the best trans for the 2.5L boxer engine.

Was lucky to find it later model Subaru forrester manuals are hard to find. They are no longer available in USA. Plenty CVT autos for sale, no manuals. Personally think most SUV
are chick cars only respectable male SUV
is Toyota 4Runner. I had noticed those & Subarus over the mountains quite a bit.
Plan to keep this SUV for a long time.
IMG_20210727_184723039.jpg

IMG_20210727_184824401_HDR.jpg

This is my midlife crisis solution. My wife approved - she figured that a girlfriend would cost more even in a short run 😁

View attachment 90743

That's a fun to drive car same as Subaru BRZ. They get knocked for HP, but who needs expensive cars that go 180+ mph. Parts cost a fortune. First time saw Subaru BRZ thought damn that's a nice looking sports car.

Same 6speed I have 2L mine 2.5L

That's a fun to drive car same as Subaru BRZ. They get knocked for HP, but who needs expensive cars that go 180+ mph. Parts cost a fortune. First time saw Subaru BRZ thought damn that's a nice looking sports car.

Same 6speed I have 2L mine 2.5L

Yep, I totally agree. People want this and that and then shrug their shoulders and say ... That is way too expensive. The only thing Subaru/Toyota could have done differently is to even out that torque dip. It is actually really noticeable. I don't have the funds now, but I would actually love to get the car re-programmed with new electronics and UEL downpipe (is tha the correct term) to get a few more HP in low and mid range. But it is not a must.

Did you get the new one with 2.4 engine? Is it even out yet?

No mine is the 2.5L Forrester above.
I got the red shift knob same they use on BRZ
& Turbo WRX. Had a grey shift knob wanted a red ♥️ one. The SUV is dark flake grey
I'm a senior my motorcycle & sports car days
are over but love manuals. Computer CVT trans
suck always searching for gas mileage. The manual has the power when you need it like
merging on freeway. Plus like the engaged feeling of driving a car.

Those Forresters are great cars, and pretty solid, at some point I had a look at one but bought something else. In Austria you see heaps of those, which usually is a good sign for 4x4 capabilities. Eventually, a few cars later, I got a 4x4, though not for off road, and I loved the 'on rails' feeling accelerating out of corners...(Audi S6).

A bad knee makes me drive an automatic, which is always too slow for my taste (did I say that I have little patience?) although the manual setting in the current car is nice (but for the fact that is downshifts automatically).

Oh , eeh , Keith, you don't need a car with 180mph top end, but it's so much fun :angel: especially on the Autobahn.

Last edited:
The only thing out of whack in that pic is the indicator light....hope it does not mean there was any traffic, I'm no saint (not by far) in traffic but IME doing anything over 200-220 km/h requires three lanes and only few cars in the right lane OR two lanes and hardly any cars....doing 300 with a need to make clear you're coming requires balls bigger than mine.

The cheapest seat of your pants speed is twist
of the wrist on a Yamaha R1
for sure, I had the brains to give up bikes as everything pointed at the certainty of an untimely death..... faster, faster....(recall doing 270 just to see if a friends bike would really do it, as a 17 year old...driving is only allowed with 18 over here)

Yeah gave up motorcycles road them from 12 years old till late 60's had a close call with a Mercedes SUV turned left right in front of me
Lucky was approaching intersection at low speed. Liked sport bikes.

Is your Audi S6 the V8 or the turbo 6? In those
cars automatics are good, but expensive. Does
It come with paddle shifters?

Cars these days different modes pick whatever you want. When test driving cars over Pali hwy. mountain past would push the sport mode button. Then found 2016 manual Forrester 38,000 mi. Got it 14K changed all the fluids & put new tires on it. Like the alloy wheels easy to clean & polish.

Yeah gave up motorcycles road them from 12 years old till late 60's had a close call with a Mercedes SUV turned left right in front of me
Lucky was approaching intersection at low speed. Liked sport bikes.

Is your Audi S6 the V8 or the turbo 6? In those
cars automatics are good, but expensive. Does
It come with paddle shifters?

Cars these days different modes pick whatever you want. When test driving cars over Pali hwy. mountain past would push the sport mode button. Then found 2016 manual Forrester 38,000 mi. Got it 14K changed all the fluids & put new tires on it. Like the alloy wheels easy to clean & polish.

The S6 was a naturally breathing 4.2 V8, I almost got the V10 after that but that has the drawback of requiring to floor it for a prolonged period like weekly or the carbon buildup in the valves gets in the way (each and every repair on those cars is expensive), mine did not have flappy paddle gearbox but a sequential gearbox. My current car has paddle shifters and a seq gearbox that actually works quite well with it,
I downsized to four cylinder turbo charged 2 liter with 250hp and enough torque to be a nice drive, the half ton weight difference makes it almost as fast but the pull from the V8 at high speed was addictive.

So were the first nine!

Here's the list, going back 20 years:
1982 Corvette
1999 Corvette
1964 Corvette
2004 Corvette
1972 Corvette
1969 Corvette
1966 GTO
1973 Jaguar XKE
1970 Chevelle SS
2007 Corvette
1969 Z/28

Guess that's 11.

That's quite a list.

Stingray corvette 1964 sweet with the fuel injection option

Early 2000 corvettes you can get good looking
excellent sports cars for cheap.

1966 GTO love the stance of that car.

Couple of my buddies have 1969 Camero

First time saw a XKE was early 1960's
Our near neighbor & some relation the son
set up football goalpost & was always kicking
field goals. He went to the pro NFL bought
a Jaguar XKE those are beautiful cars. Early 1970's had the V12 engine. Would love to row the gears in one of those. Not pay for upkeep
though

In late 1980's my younger brother got hooked
on Alfa Romero's. He restored marks from 1950' , 60's, & early 70's. Back then could get
Alfa's for dirt cheap. Got some that needed
work for under 500 dollars. My cousin was a master welder at Newport News Shipyard

Taught my brother how to fix rust with welded
steel. He rebuilt the engines everything except
seats had guys to do good job very reasonable
price. He is in electric trade & plays music.
You can't get Alfa's in any condition for cheap anymore.

My Nephew his farther was a car guy those two boys were rebuilding engines in early teens
His beautiful early 1970's Alfa my brother restored

IMG_20210624_100346~2.jpg

This is 1973 Alfa GTV 2000
Double overhead cam 2L engine. 5-speed manual transmission.

These cars restored go for between 60-70 thousand dollars now days. One of nicest
body style of early Alfa. Even the 80's Alfa don't
Pull that coin.

There is something elemental to driving a raw
vintage sports car. Ferrari, air cooled Porsche,
Stingray Corvettes, Alfa Romeo the list goes on. Beautiful bodywork, pushing the rpm with
a manual gearbox.

There aren't that many actively driven. And they are very cool cars.

My best mate had an eighties GTV 6 (different model, the one you show is even cooler) in the late eighties, already restored (at that point in time meaning rust cut out from about every body panel), at the time the Autobahn on the left Rhine bank was recently constructed and roads open with not much traffic. We headed out for a skiing trip leaving like 8 in the morning and we were skiing in the afternoon, there was hardly a car on the road and the only stops we made were for fuel....what a sweet car that was, passing cars like they were trees, that car is hungry for speed and eager to accelerate...the Alfa GTV is :cool:

Back