• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Thin Cleaver (carbon/iron)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone try the sugimoto #1 and #6 back-to-back? I've owned the #1 and sold it off some time ago after not dedicating the time to get used to it (and cleavers in general). If one is starting their cleaver journey, do you think it's better to go big, or start smaller?

IMG_0178.png

No clue about the discrepancy

I received my new (to me) thinned Sugi #6. Looks and feels great! I was able to take it to a sacrificial potato already. So fun!

View attachment 286684
Take good care of my boy 🥲
Amazon ones are the same, really good deal but you can’t really get pics or anything first. Korin’s look way overpriced, even direct from Sugimoto is like 400 after shipping.

The Yen plummeted and the Amazon Sugi is probably the cheapest I’ve ever see. Actually cheaper than all the Sugi alternatives…

Any point in grabbing the Sugimoto 1/6 if I have a Chopper King V-toku-1 small slicer? From a grind/cutting perspective not just hoarding. I'm tempted to go full other direction and just get the big Okubo too though.

Any point in grabbing the Sugimoto 1/6 if I have a Chopper King V-toku-1 small slicer? From a grind/cutting perspective not just hoarding. I'm tempted to go full other direction and just get the big Okubo too though.
Imho, the sugimoto is on another level if overall cleaver experience. But of course that is subjective. I have used both sugimoto and chopper king.

That sugimoto #6 Amazon deal is killer! I'd definitely get one at that price if they had shipped to UK.

Yeah it's a shame the next cheapest option is almost double the price!

Have you tried sharpening it yet?

Yeah it's a shame the next cheapest option is almost double the price!

Have you tried sharpening it yet?

I usually put my own edge on knives before I try them, on principle and to avoid chipping, but this one I put to work on a quick salad out of the box; so, no, not yet. That salad included diced apple, which I find a very tough test for a Chuka.

ETA: I have only used it for one small meal, so my impressions may certainly change. But..., I don't think this one needs any work out of the box and can't imagine sharpening is anything other than pleasure. If I'm not mistaken, this is white no. 2 or something very similar. The handle is also distinctive. It really encourages a pinch grip and works with the blade better for me than any other I have tried. Hard for me that the no. 6 is the Chuka equivalent of a 240 or 270 gyuto. This thing is nimble.

Last edited:
Back