Tour de France 2020

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s amazing what Cav has done, and I’m a longtime fan and am totally psyched, but Eddy is still the GOAT.
You sound like Merckx having to remind the media that he won uphill, hilly and time trials as well as the overall to escape the fact that his record is likely lost in a weeks time..

Yep, of the more organic, or at least more freely pastured, variety too. Hadn’t seen that coming and overjoyed for Cavendish and his heartwarming comeback
Yeah, It's amazing. So happy for him.

Yeah I’m not sure Eddy is actually cool with anyone tying or beating his record. The Cannibal.

As for Cav, what an amazing return to form after several miserable years. Chapeau!

I'm a little tired of all the goat talk since live in US & that's all you hear on sports channels it's been used to death esp. about Tom Brady.

Eddy Merckx the cannibal still the most dominate cyclist in history multiple tour winners are not a timid bunch. That piece that
Lars posted is a good read of his take on the
riders in this tour. Poel dedicating his stage win & yellow jersey to his late grandfather Raymond Poulidor who was second on the Podium behind two of the greats in different era Merckx & Anquetil. His was on podium a lot second & third place in 1960's and 1970's.

Cav. is best sprinter he is a old veteran who instinct is still above others in late stage of career. It's good to see him in second coming after given up for dead.

Think Pogacar is one of those hybrid riders that can win the time trials & the mountains. That attack two mountains out where he picked off the breakaway riders was one of best attacks I've seen. He is still young barring a crash or meltdown he will have two TDF wins.
Being in yellow most of tour. Very Merckx like.

The Danish rider Vingegaard is only 24 & another all rounder like the greats of the past.

I'll be watching rest of this tour rooting for him to get on the podium.

What a tour so far!!

The Cav story is great. But Caleb Ewan would have impacted this outcome big time if he hadn’t crashed out. Alaphilppe pulling so hard and then Morkov taking second on the stage? The quickstep lead out train is just unbelievable.

I really hope Bernal will face Pogacar next year.

The avoidable crashes are disappointing. I wish I could have seen a healthy Roglic follow Pogacar on his attacks.

Every stage has been great so far. Can’t wait to see the rest of the race and how reduced the peloton will be in Paris.

Count me as a non believer. Cab has been a washed up sprinter for a few years. His prime was a decade ago. And now he is sufdenly crushing everyone at age 36? Same is Pogachar- riding away from everyone on a climb in a big ring? Something new has hit the peloton. deGendt recently said that he is pushing the best watts of his career and still cannot ride away from the peloton. That’s classic sign of a new substance making it’s way through the sport.

He was pushing big ring up front the rear cluster was massive like a dirt bike. He was on biggest gear in the rear making easier to pedal.

I hope you are wrong about drugs they are even testing them in off season.

Thanks Lars
Think read somewhere that he finished 2nt in opening time trial. I missed that stage.

He is another lean light rider.
1.75M (5'9")
60kg (132#)

I have read some drug can't recall now helps to lose weight without losing muscle. It is one of few legal substance in cycling. As if riding tours
doesn't make you lose body fat. When I was training face arms torso got skinny just from climbing mountains. My girlfriend said I looked
emaciated. That's a common look in pro cycling. All the steroids Lance & others were taking built muscle mass. You can tell that cyclist now at least are not on steroids.

Vingegaard is riding tours getting stronger is in
form at the right time. Think he has chance to make podium.

What a stage! So happy for Kuss, he is a great climber. Valverde is looking great for the olympics too..!

Apparently Sepp Kuss is the first American to win a stage at the tour in 10 years 🇺🇸🚴‍♂️🏆

Still not sure if he is GC candidate or forever super domestique...
Either way, fantastic stage, great Nairo, Pog defending and Kuss scoring one over WVA

Still not sure if he is GC candidate or forever super domestique...
Either way, fantastic stage, great Nairo, Pog defending and Kuss scoring one over WVA

He is a top notch climber, however in TT lacks pure power giant gears on flat roads. Still young
Has chance in other tours that don't have brutal
long flat TT.

Wow two summit steep climb finish to come
Col. Uran in second
Vingegaard in third
Carapaz with strong Inos team 1 second back in forth.

Looking forward to blowups & breakaways on final summit finishes.

Love to see riders get strung out on summit finishes. Didn't disappoint. I was thinking when
those 3 road the wheels off the rest that Carapaz making faces hanging back doing no work in the front was going to attack on steepest last section. He did but got reeled in.

More fireworks tomorrow.

i still cannot shake the impression that there is a new drug in cycling. WE saw inexplicable performances from some riders who should have been dropped long ago and some of the reliable former GC contenders inexplicably falling by wayside. Pogachar’s last time trial was clearly a calculated easy ride courtesy of his 5 minute advantage and the position of riding the course last. The guy could have easily won it he got an order from the team car, and that would be another supernatural performance after winning two mountain stages in a row. The guy is good, but he is not THAT good. Count me a non-believer. He will win a couple more tours and then inevitably the omertà will crack…

Can't argue with your speculation. Heck I believed Lance early on when he said he had
recovered from cancer why would he use drugs

He took lying to a extreme level. Turned me off
to cycling for half a decade. last 3 years have enjoyed watching the tours. Have cycling in my blood. All ever used electrolyte cycling powders
in water & power bars.

If history is example drugs have been used for the huge demands of the tours from the start.
Influence of money & being cycling stars.

Early on cocaine kept riders going. During WW2
Amphetamines were used by solders on both
sides.

Naturally they made their way to cycling. Jacques Anquetil 5 time winner TDF admitted to using them. He died relatively middle age.

1966 Tom Simpson died in the tour . He had amphetamines in blood post mortem.

When Russians started using steroids for athletes that too made it to cycling.

Marco Pantani great Italian climber died of drug overdose. He used EPO

By 1990's early 2000's drug use took to new
levels.

They say testing is better than ever. One thing
know the top riders like Pogacar & Vengegaard
aren't using steroids. Both are slim lightweights for their heights.

Yes, steroids have a relatively low benefit for endurance sport such as cycling. Anything that boosts blood oxygen carrying capacity or recovery is a golden ticket however. I'm curious what would happen during the Olympics, this is when the new drug busting procedures are usually rolled out.

Testosterone has many, many benefits in endurance training, the greatest being shorter recovery time. Given that endurance training can lower natural levels of test, it still is one of the more popular PED out there. You do not need to look like a sprinter to benefit from its magic like effects - right amount will allow you to keep muscle mass you would otherwise loose - lost muscle mass = lower ftp/kg.

Drugs in Sports for the most part may have detrimental effects on body long term

Anabolic Steroids are synthetic versions of testosterone. They are linked to increased
risk of liver damage, kidney failure, heart attack
& prostate cancer.

A doctor in Honolulu has ads for increasing men's libido with drug therapy. I know rich people will try anything to live longer.

I smoked my share of Pakalolo in the past. Now only thing put in my lungs comes from air.

Don't even want to take any medication, most of my friends my age take one or several drugs
for age related conditions.

Walk about 5 miles a day around Punchbowl
crater then back up the valley to our house. Several good uphill climbs. Lift my pace uphill gets my heart & lungs going. Try to eat healthy.
Main drug is caffeine mostly several large glasses of cold green tea every day. A cup of coffee in morning.

Carapaz won gold metal in mountain road race
Olympics. Noticed he was using rim brakes after all the disk brakes in the tours.

Latest posts

Back