Ummm... I forgot to take non-stick pan off the gas for 6 hours...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yep, happened today. Luckily, oil never got to 400f, no smoke or fire... (as i shut off gas, I pointed infrared thermometer on the skillet) BUT, now, oil is nice and burned in, I can peel it with nail and oil residue crumbles, but i'd like a better/more efficient way to clean it.

Barkeepers friends? Dishwasher? Soap? Something else?>

Pan is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FANE6C/

TIA

P.S I know I am a dumbass, but I pulled a double shift and had 2 hrs of sleep the night before and also had 30+ calls today... sigh

2022-10-28 00.08.35.jpg

Last edited:
the part i can't believe is that there's one more thread without pictures on the internet

looks much better than i was expecting. was the flame turned down real low or something?

i'd be worried about scuffing the fluoropolymer with BKF. nonstick performance gets reduced if you rough the surface up. plus, it's gross.

can you try with a solid nylon spatula/scraper or something?

looks much better than i was expecting. was the flame turned down real low or something?

i'd be worried about scuffing the fluoropolymer with BKF. nonstick performance gets reduced if you rough the surface up. plus, it's gross.

can you try with a solid nylon spatula/scraper or something?
scraper next, yes. since nail worked. i am waiting to see if there is an easier trick :D

Could try oven cleaner? There are also specific cleaning products for fat removal that work really well on sticky gunky residue.

I tried baking soda paste... boiling it after for30 min. now trying oil... some very thin gunk on edges seems to come off, the rest not moving.

has anyone tried dishwasher or you think that's hopeless? i will try oven clean soon also..

I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087S0PWU spray let it sit 5 min and scrube with nylon sponge for 2 min and then wash under hot water. i did that 3 times

here is the result . my guess that discoloring is permanent. the rest are water beads... no actual scratches or gouges.

i am exhausted.. ill make a crappy dishwasher, for sure. we'll see what the next steps are.. my guess. I may leave it as is

2022-10-28 02.38.03.jpg

You'll find out how well this worked the next time you fry something in the pan. If it has lost its "non-stickiness", you can always buy another. In my experience, cheap non-stick pans last the same time as expensive ones. I'm done with $200 non-stick pans…

You'll find out how well this worked the next time you fry something in the pan. If it has lost its "non-stickiness", you can always buy another. In my experience, cheap non-stick pans last the same time as expensive ones. I'm done with $200 non-stick pans…
ya, I got this used/open box for $60... i got it because of 3 things 14", cast alum. and supposed to be nicer coating.. I prob have 5 other non-stick. I mostly use them on eggs and potatoes only.

Proud of you for doing all that work to save your pan. Even if a nonstick pan only lasts a couple of years and even though it was a rescue pan someone else never wanted, you didn’t give up on your baby!

Last edited:
same here, my experiment with an expensive Demeyere non stick pan with the non overheating metallurist trick learned me that it IS a better pan with nice heat distribution but that the non stick coating has similar duration of life as in a Tefal red dot...though the Tefal is a far lesser pan w.r. heat distribution and induction performance.
Guess I'll be using the regular newer ceramic non stick to stay away from PTFE ingestion and just use it sparingly.

I've never cooked with a ceramic non-stick pan. From what I've seen online, the verdict is "so-so". Not as non-stick as a normal non-stick pan and, apparently, they don't last a lot longer.

My latest non-stick is from Made-In. Reasonably priced, and I just put up with the fact that I have to buy another one every two or three years.

All the ceramic pans I've used so far lose their non-stick abilities kinda in the same way regular teflon does. I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically just another form of teflon in the top layer.
Personally I've just moved away from them altogether; it's just non-stick, carbon steel and enamelled pans for me.

they sure last not any longer than PTFE based coatings, yet PTFE based pans not using PFOA does not necessarily make them much safer when overheating or particles coming off the surface IMO.
(and since the layer wears thin after a year or so particles do come off)

perhaps time to give our bomb proof ridiculously heavy -forget what the brand is- pan another go.

https://prudentreviews.com/ceramic-vs-teflon/

I don’t have any problem making fries eggs, scrambled eggs, or crepes in a carbon steel pan. To me, having to dry my pan and keep it from getting wet is worth the effort. Nonstick is just not with it.

they sure last not any longer than PTFE based coatings, yet PTFE based pans not using PFOA does not necessarily make them much safer when overheating or particles coming off the surface IMO.
(and since the layer wears thin after a year or so particles do come off)

perhaps time to give our bomb proof ridiculously heavy -forget what the brand is- pan another go.

https://prudentreviews.com/ceramic-vs-teflon/
PFOA free says absolutely nothing when all the replacement chemicals are just as bad.
Even just ignoring any health and environmental concerns, any pan that requires constant replacement every few years is IMO a bad product. Retailers probably see that differently...

checked, and it is a Silit 'profi deluxe' probably because you get a serious workout with every toss...

I should add that I don’t have a good electric waffle iron that is not nonstick. And I am okay with that.

pfoa-free fluoropolymer is a troll. just as bad as traditional ptfe process.
i don't care one way or another on that marketing gimmick. the product seems to be about as good either way.

non-fluoropolymer (ceramic or whatever) is a complete troll. totally inferior to fluoropolymer pans. loses nonstick way earlier. i've had like 10 of them over the years from various brands. always a disappointment. never again.

For me. I wanted a 14" pan that's cast aluminum or spun that's 4 or 5mm thick (I own others in similar size but they don't perform near as well) well). If someone knows others below $100, i'd like to know for future...

I think that's the main reason it didnt catch fire, set off alarm... because low on blue-star s likely medium on others... 14" and cast alum acted as a nice heat sink and due to area, and cooler air (i had windows open, was 66f inside) heat evaporated before 400f+ smoke point kicked in. I wonder how would a thinner pan of that size would have performed...

PFOA free says absolutely nothing when all the replacement chemicals are just as bad.
i'm interested in the research on this. can you point in the direction of specific studies (meta studies or literary reviews preferably)?

Even just ignoring any health and environmental concerns, any pan that requires constant replacement every few years is IMO a bad product. Retailers probably see that differently...
amen. this should be reason enough to think twice …

"imo" or according to research consensus? i'm not contesting at all – just interested in what is actually known and what is not, and what is endorsed by the research community.

Back