Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Everytime I go into my kitchen, I see my knife strip and am happy. Who cares if anyone else appreciates them.

View attachment 87260

For those interested, this is my entire current collection (technically minus a Y. Tanaka / Yohei that’s on loan): from left to right, $15 Tojiro bread knife, 240 Kippington honyaki workpony, 240 TF mab, Heiji 180x40 ss petty, Gesshin Uraku 210 stainless, Shun paring, Shigeki Tanaka ginsan 150 petty, Wat nakiri, Gesshin Heiji 150mm ss honesuki.

Ok, maybe I do care if someone appreciates them. But that’s why I have y’all.
So, what Do you want to sell me?

Reactions: ian
This is fun!

Jnats are overrated

This is my once a month touch up ritual for shi.han. it's a piece of soft Arkansas I got on eBay for $11 all in.

It's probably the only sharpening stone the knife has seen in over a year.

Love the freehand sharpening - makes me want to try this with a 6x1 coticule I have.

Also makes we want to buy a shi.han, but that is a different story.

Your knife doesn't suck, it is your technique. You either don't know how to use it or you don't know how to maintain it.

I've seen people do amazing stuff with Dexters and Mercers and whatever crappy brand the knife service happens to be using.

For me, nothing I have tried feels more like MY knife than my Shi.han.

What do you like about your Shihan? I’m assuming it’s not the grind, since it’s heavily modified. Steel, profile, etc...?

Also, what are you making with 10 billion onions?? I thought you were a home cook for the time being.

Love the freehand sharpening - makes me want to try this with a 6x1 coticule I have.

Also makes we want to buy a shi.han, but that is a different story.

coticules/belgian blues also work great for in-hand on-the-fly touch-ups. I used a ceramic rod for years.

What do you like about your Shihan? I’m assuming it’s not the grind, since it’s heavily modified. Steel, profile, etc...?

Also, what are you making with 10 billion onions?? I thought you were a home cook for the time being.

I actually love the grind of the Shi.han. I did my usual modifications of thinning the tip and thickening the heel and zeroing out the microbevel. But I really like the profile and basic geometry. Thick at the spine, thin behind the edge. The steel is durable as hell. Makes my Watanabe feel dainty. It has heft but is still extremely maneuverable. Those onions were actually just for a garnish. Crispy onions for daal. If I had to change one thing about it I would move the handle up about 1cm. The gap between the handle and the choil is slightly larger than I prefer. But that is only something that has bothered me at work when I was chopping all day long. At home it has never bothered me.

IMG_20200714_194811 (1).jpg

This is fun!

Jnats are overrated

This is my once a month touch up ritual for shi.han. it's a piece of soft Arkansas I got on eBay for $11 all in.

It's probably the only sharpening stone the knife has seen in over a year.

I do the same with an odd coticule (cheap, small but cool thingy). I have the impression that it actually improves my sharpening, as I can feel the lateral movements of the stone in my hand (implying that I am sharpening somewhere else on the knife then where I think I am sharpening ;) It helps me with better following the profile of the knife ).

(Note: simple homecook, and humble sharpener here...)

Last edited:
You should learn to sharpen on cheap stainless. It would fix a lot of problems you encounter, rather than jumping to simple carbon.

I've never had grip issues with a glass smooth handle. Those that do, probably have too tight a grip, and maybe a stick up their wazoo (first part of the statement is true, the last is a joke).

Utilizing burls in handles is eco friendly. Those that want plane wood are using up precious natural resources that could be better utilized building houses for the poor. Like why bleach your a$$hole, when you could learn to appreciate the natural color and character already there.

Utilizing burls in handles is eco friendly. Those that want plane wood are using up precious natural resources that could be better utilized building houses for the poor. Like why bleach your a$$hole, when you could learn to appreciate the natural color and character already there.

I feel suitably shamed.

*googling bleach reversal*

I personally love colorful and burl rich handles. Shows the makers creativity, which is one if the things im paying for. The only time I would hesitate to order one, is if I were using someone else's credit card on here to pay for it. Doors open.

Reactions: ian
You should learn to sharpen on cheap stainless. It would fix a lot of problems you encounter, rather than jumping to simple carbon.

I've never had grip issues with a glass smooth handle. Those that do, probably have too tight a grip, and maybe a stick up their wazoo (first part of the statement is true, the last is a joke).

Be careful, I got reprimanded last time I brought up the forbidden grip

I have purchased over 20 Jknives over the past 5 years and I've come to realize that any one of the ones I bought would have done the kitchen job for me. The first one I purchased from Tosho Knife Arts was a 240mm Konosuke HD2 Gyuto and that would have done the job of all the others including Kato's, Shig's, Toyama's, Watanabe's, Kono Fujiyama's and Mazaki's to name a few of my other knives.

I have purchased over 20 Jknives over the past 5 years and I've come to realize that any one of the ones I bought would have done the kitchen job for me. The first one I purchased from Tosho Knife Arts was a 240mm Konosuke HD2 Gyuto and that would have done the job of all the others including Kato's, Shig's, Toyama's, Watanabe's, Kono Fujiyama's and Mazaki's to name a few of my other knives.

Do you think that would've been the same if you'd started with another knife?

I got my HD2 210 in March, and it's now my favorite knife.

I was trying to say that all of my knives are good to very good but, I could have stopped at the KD2 if I had known better.

I bought my first Japanese knife earlier this year: a Munetoshi gyuto. I've been super happy with its cutting performance so far, but because I'm part of this forum I've been fantasizing about getting a "better" knife (Watanabe Pro, TF Mab, Kono Fuji). I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns, but is there anything that make those knives objectively better than my Munetoshi, other than just being another knife?

I bought my first Japanese knife earlier this year: a Munetoshi gyuto. I've been super happy with its cutting performance so far, but because I'm part of this forum I've been fantasizing about getting a "better" knife (Watanabe Pro, TF Mab, Kono Fuji). I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns, but is there anything that make those knives objectively better than my Munetoshi, other than just being another knife?

TF steel is freakin awesome. Watanabe has a great grind and just cuts really well. Kono Fuji is probably very nice as well, if hyped.

I searching how to measure "objectively better" I mean yeah my Kato has a very nice grind, my Watanabe Pro is very thin behind the edge and my Toyama just floats through food but, can I put a number on it? Also, keep in mind the topic.

It's a hobby. Do what you can afford for fun, resist the pull of chasing some perfect knife and enjoy the ride. But yeah they're all a little different! Also don't forget a good board will make your edges last much longer. Like matching good pen to paper.

Back