Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since no one thus far has been willing to touch the third rail: The diet of most of the developed world (including North America, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and most of the Caribbean countries and South America) involves far too much meat consumption, beef especially.

Mods please ban this man.

If we didn't have beef, we'd have no gyuto.

Edit: Also, I assumed this was more about kitchen knives, not a more general topic. I'll leave mine here then: Children should be allowed to work in developed countries. We've forgotten how well their tiny hands fit into the machinery.

If we didn't have beef, we'd have no gyuto.

The name 牛刀 (gyutô) itself is ridiculous, as is the Japanese assumption that it's a specialized knife for processing beef. They should've used the Cantonese name 大廚刀.

Great thread. Mine:

The brave post food cutting videos prior to answering every advice thread, so people can make what they will of your sharpening and knife skills as you share your wisdom.

Half the people here thin their knives for no reason whatsoever

When I hear ‘modified profile‘ I see who the user is. Sometimes a crime against a good knife is committed.

Collectors reward makers and keep them in (more) business.

Carter makes excellent performing knives, regardless of how long he spends on each one. Although he should stop making handles that look like ass.

I feel shame every time I use a Yanagiba because I have no effing clue

Sharpening and polishing are different things altogether, and I wish people who were good at polishing shared even more because there are so few of you.

Since no one thus far has been willing to touch the third rail: The diet of most of the developed world (including North America, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and most of the Caribbean countries and South America) involves far too much meat consumption, beef especially.
You're right, that is a very unpopular opinion. :waiting:

I bought my first Japanese knife earlier this year: a Munetoshi gyuto. I've been super happy with its cutting performance so far, but because I'm part of this forum I've been fantasizing about getting a "better" knife (Watanabe Pro, TF Mab, Kono Fuji). I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns, but is there anything that make those knives objectively better than my Munetoshi, other than just being another knife?
We should do you a favor and tell you nope, it's never going to get any better than your Munetoshi. That it is perfect in every way and you will by no means greatly enjoy trying the knives you mentioned above and a slew of others. But if that were true this forum wouldn't exist and all these knife nerds, freaks, collectors would have one nice trusty chef knife. But if you just walked away, you could probably live happily ever after with just your Munetoshi, unless you've already been infected. In that case it's probably too late for you.
OK, you buy another one...
Got him.

That thing in the beginning of the thread about only a couple of Western makers are good. I'm not buying that. If someones really tried them all and has got a story to tell them I'm all ears. Just saying you tried a bunch doesn't mean there isn't a bunch of others.

You dont need that nany knives to cook well....

just a few, well picked blades will suffice ....

Gourmet food is another word for unedible **** marketed as innovative with an inflated price (to me).

Case in point, Dinner served with:

Asparagus in a pot. The waiter nicely informed us the "dirt" was edible though it would taste and crunch like dirt. An asparagus cream in the bottom was ... ok. Why ruin the dish with something that tastes and has the consistency of dirt?

Raw razer shell mussel, sprinkled with whipped snail slime (I kid you not) and burnt hay (another customer kindly asked a waiter what it was to which he answered, hay burnt in a barrel).

Ice cream over which were poured warm green tea making the icecream pretty much a green tea sludge.

Two other dishes were delicious redfish and calf tongue. But holy cow was the other 3 inedible to me.

Fraction of meaningful, on-topic discussions has been in a decline since several years. I am wondering whether we discussed all there was to discuss and should go and find a new hobby.
I am just imagining mass sales in the BST when all members are looking for a new hobby and selling all their knives and stones .....

Unpopular opinion? That's easy...

Kato Workhorse's steel is rubbish... nice profile and geo but that's about it... thats only for the Gyutos... Kato Workhorse KU Nakiri was below average in every aspect compared to others...
Kato Standard only average in every aspect...

both lines are totally overrated and hyped knives.
You want the best Japan can offer? Buy a Denka, Heiji or one of the established Sakai makers.

And yes, I had quite a few of all of them over the years... only regret selling because nowadays, I could get more $ for them ;)

Back