Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I wouldn't do that with a paring knife anyway. It's kinda gross to me?

Pocket knife or scissors.
I do use my pocketknife to open boxes, cut rope, scrape bugs off my license plate, etc......... then put it back in my pocket until lunch when I need it to portion out some summer sausage and cheese straight on a public picnic table.

I do use my pocketknife to open boxes, cut rope, scrape bugs off my license plate, etc......... then put it back in my pocket until lunch when I need it to portion out some summer sausage and cheese straight on a public picnic table.

I mean, at that point, just bite chunks straight off of the sausage and cheese.

People here use too many acronyms.

Japanese is especially bad for acronyms as most names begin with just a few letters. They are a barrier to communication and discourage new members from participating - mainly used to signify authority and in-group membership status.

Japanese is especially bad for acronyms as most names begin with just a few letters. They are a barrier to communication and discourage new members from participating - mainly used to signify authority and in-group membership status.

It's pretty simple. Example: TF is Terra Firma, meaning any good knife, since iron is from the earth. BST is Bolivian Sand Tray, a kind of adult sandbox you play in for a while, after you're tired of using your knives.

Unpopular opinion #1 : In the entire history of civilization, no one has invented the perfect steak knife
Unpopular opinion #2: The perfect steak knife would have fine serrations, because the slight raggedness they impart to the surface of the meat is perfection

Hmm... here are some of the common acronyms and abbreviations that I just thought of.

B1/B2/AS=blue #1, blue #2, blue super steels. (steels sold by Hitachi that come wrapped in blue paper (aogami))
BNIB=brand new in box
BST=the buy/sell/trade forum here at KKF
BTE=behind the edge
CC=Clean Cut
CKC=Carbon Knife Company
CKTG=Chef Knives To Go
CONUS=continental united states
Craig=proprietor of CKC, usually.
dammy=damascus
DT=Devin Thomas (or maybe distal taper?)
F&F=friends and family mode on paypal
forgie=forgecraft knife, or sometimes Catcheside forged geometry.
Fuji=Konosuke Fujiyama.
Gesh=Gesshin, JKI's house brand name
GLWS=good luck with sale
hrc=rockwell hardness scale
JKI=Japanese Knife Imports
Jnat=japanese natural stones
JNS=Japanese Natural Stones
Jon=Jon Broida @ JKI
K&S=Knives and Stones
Kipp=@Kippington
Kono=Konosuke
KS=Masamoto KS
KU=kurouchi
LNIB= a meaningless term... technically ""like new in box"
Mab=Maboroshi line from TF
Maksim=proprietor of JNS
Mario=Mario Ingoglia
Marko=Marko Tsourkan
Maz=Mazaki
Miz KS=best knife ever, Mizuno knife in the style of KS
Miz=Mizuno
mm=millimeters. :)
PP=paypal
OOTB=out of the box
PM=private message
S&G=splash and go stones
SG=shapton glass stones
Shihan=knives made by Shehan Prull
SP=shapton pro stones
SS=semistainless, or sometimes stainless steel
suji=sujihiki
sumi=suminagashi, a particular damascus type
synth=synthetic stone
TF=Teruyasu Fujiwara
Toyamanabe=Toyama or Watanabe
VAT=some weird tax they charge in Europe, if the buyer is in Europe
wa=japanese handle
Wat=Watanabe
Watoyama=Watanabe or Toyama
WH=workhorse
Wh1/Wh2/Wh3=white #1, white #2, white #2 steels. (steels sold by Hitachi that come wrapped in white paper (shirogami)) some people write W1,W2, but those people should correct themselves, since W2 is a different steel.
WTS/WTB/WTT=want to sell/buy/trade
yani=yanagiba, for some reason
yo=western handle

See also this older thread.

Last edited:
Paring knives are good for many things (opening bags, cutting lemons in half when you have a carbon gyuto out, scoring chestnuts, cutting out the white parts of strawberries in a way that will satisfy one’s very particular wife) but peeling things with a knife is stupid. 😝
why are people so afraid of cutting citrus with a carbon knife. just wipe it after. it's more annoying to have to switch knives just for a lemon..

why are people so afraid of cutting citrus with a carbon knife. just wipe it after. it's more annoying to have to switch knives just for a lemon..

Well, I did use a carbon gyuto to cut a lemon today, actually. But I usually have the paring knife out on the counter anyway for tasks like this, and when I go to the fridge to pick up the lemon I put down any gyuto I might be holding, so I might as well pick up the stainless paring knife that I don’t care about when I come back to the counter. One less thing to worry about wiping. 🤷

People buy Konosuke Fujiyamas for fancy Kanji and the stamp. Other knives cut just as well if not better for less.
Nah, People buy the older ones to experience the Legendary Morihiro and Tanaka. People buy the newer ones because their the next "chapter" of the legend and because the older ones are so rare and pricey on the secondary market. The first one I got didn't even have a stamp and the kanji was faded. I don't even find the kanji and/or stamp as overly amazing, meaning not a reason to buy the knife. They are nice, but so is a bunch of others. The FMs are underrated imho. They are some of the sexiest, pure cutters out there... Sexy and classy all over. I hope they stay somewhat underrated, keep the supply up and the demand at bay.

Back