Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah language does expand and readapt itself naturally as we go. That’s been happening since always. I’m obviously not talking about that.
weirdly advocating for a deep reassessment of language that roots itself against the very foundations of biology, era?

Sounds like you’re talking about people choosing their own pronouns, no?

Here’s how I look at it. For some (not huge, but present) number of people, being allowed to choose their pronouns and have people respect their choice is incredibly life affirming and life changing. They feel seen and accepted. For many of us, it’s legitimately difficult to incorporate these changes into how we operate. It takes a lot of effort to suppress a lifetime’s understanding of gender; I know a bunch of people who use nontraditional pronouns and I frequently screw them up in my head, and (less frequently) out loud. But it’s so worth it to try since it makes such a huge difference to those involved, and it’s really not that big a deal to the rest of us.

Edit: regarding the phrasing above, most people who’ve changed genders would say that it’s not even a “choice”. A colleague of mine spent most of her life as a super depressed, somewhat odd man, but now she’s living life as an amazing, happy, outgoing woman that’s a force for good in the community. For her, it was undoubtably traumatic to make that transition, e.g. her marriage didn’t survive, but she had to do it, and the result was completely transformative. TLDR: Questions of biology just seem less relevant to me in the face of someone’s transformational joy.

Last edited:
I'm curious what you're talking about in that case... Perhaps these 'foundations of biology' aren't as rigid as you imagine. After all, our understanding of biology is constructed through language, and just because we've defined things a certain way in the past doesn't mean that's how they are in reality. When we force the world into artificial categories through language, it can be a gross oversimplification of infinitely complex natural phenomenon.

Nah. Biology is fact-based and scientific, not language based.

You can feel however you want and debate how people are wired, but it doesn't mean biology is incorrect.

Used to adore KFCs popcorn chicken. Great ratio of crunch to chicken, which asymptotically approaches infinite crunch. Then they got rid of it. As far as chicken chains go, in the mid Atlantic I’ve seen KFC, Popeyes and raising canes.

KFC no longer interests me. The chicken is boiled plate fried chicken and the sides aren’t overly unique.

People make a big deal about raising canes, but the sauce is decent at best and the chicken is lackluster. That being said the garlic bread/Texas toast is phenomenal.

Popeyes definitely takes the cake. Much more seasoning (not heat) than the other two. The tenders are even better than the bone in stuff. The fries have excellent seasoning, but like my experiences with 5 guys over the last couple years I’ve found they don’t get them crispy, or they spend too much time dying in the warmer. Had a batch recently and they were probably the best fast food fries I’ve had. Heavily seasoned. Crisp exterior. Tender interior. Also the sweet heat sauce is essentially southern Siracha, and I would say it’s one of the best fast food sauces

Nah. Biology is fact-based and scientific, not language based.

You can feel however you want and debate how people are wired, but it doesn't mean biology is incorrect.
Of course biology is fact-based and scientific, I never said otherwise. I said our understanding of biology is language-based. Biology is what it is. We use words to try and approximate it, but that doesn't always reflect the full complexity of reality.

Huh apparently my bizarre local market sells it. Gotta try it now.

By bizarre I mean, they have 3 kinds of liverwurst but no good bacon.

Huh apparently my bizarre local market sells it. Gotta try it now.

By bizarre I mean, they have 3 kinds of liverwurst but no good bacon.
If they are trying to convey that if you want good bacon, you should make it yourself, I approve.

But I'm always looking to stretch a point for anyone who sells 3 kinds of liverwurst.

Here’s how I look at it. For some (not huge, but present) number of people, being allowed to choose their pronouns and have people respect their choice is incredibly life affirming and life changing. They feel seen and accepted. For many of us, it’s legitimately difficult to incorporate these changes into how we operate. It takes a lot of effort to suppress a lifetime’s understanding of gender; I know a bunch of people who use nontraditional pronouns and I frequently screw them up in my head, and (less frequently) out loud. But it’s so worth it to try since it makes such a huge difference to those involved, and it’s really not that big a deal to the rest of us.

Edit: regarding the phrasing above, most people who’ve changed genders would say that it’s not even a “choice”. A colleague of mine spent most of her life as a super depressed, somewhat odd man, but now she’s living life as an amazing, happy, outgoing woman that’s a force for good in the community. For her, it was undoubtably traumatic to make that transition, e.g. her marriage didn’t survive, but she had to do it, and the result was completely transformative. TLDR: Questions of biology just seem less relevant to me in the face of someone’s transformational joy.

This issue and a lot of others boil down to 2 things for me: be polite, and mind your own business. If he became a she (sorry, channeling some Lou Reed there), I’m going to be polite and use their preferred pronouns while minding my own business.

Society would function so much more smoothly if everybody was polite and minded their own business. Everybody’s got enough problems of their own without getting all up in other people’s business.

This issue and a lot of others boil down to 2 things for me: be polite, and mind your own business. If he became a she (sorry, channeling some Lou Reed there), I’m going to be polite and use their preferred pronouns while minding my own business.

Society would function so much more smoothly if everybody was polite and minded their own business. Everybody’s got enough problems of their own without getting all up in other people’s business.

Should that also be true for those who do not want to use people's chosen pronouns? People should mind their own business and be polite.

Is there any food that doesn't taste better fried?

Daughter and husband have a family night each week. Last week they decided to go out for dinner and asked the 4YO granddaughter where she wanted to go. She said to the place with the cooked cheese. They were stumped but through discussion realized she meant the Italian place with fried mozzarella sticks. :)

Is there any food that doesn't taste better fried?
Fresh Fish. I'll take Chinese style steamed, or just in a skillet, camping grill. Little ginger & ponzu sauce.

Don't mind Korean fish Jun with egg coating. I know Americans love to dump lots of cheese on Mexican food. Put batter coatings on everything. Sugar in everything. English milk & sugar in tea what a way to ruin tea. I know my rant not popular, but this is unpopular opinions. 😁

Should that also be true for those who do not want to use people's chosen pronouns? People should mind their own business and be polite.
The failure in your logic is that other people's pronouns aren't really your business.

You don't need to engage with those people if you don't want to. If you do engage with them, be polite and don't worry about it because it doesn't affect you.

Going out of your way to avoid people strictly because saying he instead of she is onerous to you seems silly to me, but it's entirely your right. Not using the pronouns they prefer, however, is rude. It's just like not using the name they prefer--whether for gender-related reasons or not. If you know a guy named Chuck and you repeatedly call him Chris even though you know he wants to be called Chuck, it's a dick thing to do. It doesn't matter if you think he looks more like a Chris. If you get his name wrong at some point because you met him, learned his name, but forgot it, that's different. People make mistakes. But intentionally calling him something he doesn't want to be called is being rude for no reason.

Daughter and husband have a family night each week. Last week they decided to go out for dinner and asked the 4YO granddaughter where she wanted to go. She said to the place with the cooked cheese. They were stumped but through discussion realized she meant the Italian place with fried mozzarella sticks. :)
The tyke just wanted some halloumi

The failure in your logic is that other people's pronouns aren't really your business.

You don't need to engage with those people if you don't want to. If you do engage with them, be polite and don't worry about it because it doesn't affect you.

Going out of your way to avoid people strictly because saying he instead of she is onerous to you seems silly to me, but it's entirely your right. Not using the pronouns they prefer, however, is rude. It's just like not using the name they prefer--whether for gender-related reasons or not. If you know a guy named Chuck and you repeatedly call him Chris even though you know he wants to be called Chuck, it's a dick thing to do. It doesn't matter if you think he looks more like a Chris. If you get his name wrong at some point because you met him, learned his name, but forgot it, that's different. People make mistakes. But intentionally calling him something he doesn't want to be called is being rude for no reason.

There is no failure in my logic. It becomes my business when people make it my business.

But this is probably a discussion I best let be.

Back