Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh huh
IMG_0489.jpeg

I've only bought one BNIB, and as best I could tell it was genuinely unused. And the seller's genuine curiosity in how it performed after I got it verified that fact.

So while I still struggle to empathize with anyone who has better impulse control than I do (must play with new toy) this community is far better than anything I've found otherwise. I came over from reddit before all the implosion/seppuku stuff simply because I gleaned, after lurking for a long time before making an account, that this community was a bunch of dedicated nerds that were interested in providing educated and nuanced feedback over the more ~entry level~ stuff one might find on a broader reaching medium.

I've had a wonderful experience here so far, plenty of knives bought and sold myself on BST without a hint of an issue, and many kind souls reaching out personally to let me test drive knives of theirs or spreading recipes, advice, shooting the sh*t, or being horrible influences by sending WTS links. It's a nice place, the folk are good.

I've had 3 DMs responding to WTBs all written in the same sketchy manner "hey I saw your Munetoshi 270 wtb, I've got one barely used. I don't check messages here but you can email me at [email protected]" from a new account and they delete after like a day.

That said...please someone sell me their damn Munetoshi 270.

I've never bought from BST or sold from it. There are many people who seem to do so regularly, and likely plenty of good, solid transactions with no misleading from the buyers.

However, there have also been scams -- some identified and taken down, some not, and lying.

To me, the most likely thing not to be true is someone saying BNIB. Was the knife ever taken out of the box? What exactly does BNIB mean? I don't really know, so I take it to mean "probably not noticeably used."

I'm much more likely to trust someone saying that a knife was used for a few dinner preps than someone claiming it is BNIB.

I'm not saying many people are lying or not, I just...don't trust people on the internet that I have no experience dealing with. I doubt most people do as a matter of course.

You’re still operating under the mistaken assumption that people on this forum are normal. In fact they lack all impulse control and buy ridiculous numbers of knives which they never get around to using until their partner whacks them on the head and makes them sell a few, usually precipitated by getting slashed by a knife hidden in the underwear drawer.

No need to change your mind right now though. In a couple years you’ll get that whack on the head and realize you’ve been assimilated.

Yep. That was a tough one. Although that particular instance was more of a scam as opposed to using a supposed BNIB knife to cook a couple meals with or something.

I missed something, apparently. What was the problem with that post? Didn’t see any evidence it was other than advertised.

FWIW I understand the hesitance about 'BNIB'... especially when it's an unknown seller who's suddenly listing 10 BNIB knives at the same time... I have to admit that gives me pause as well.

But it's not necessarily something I'd consider 'universally' problematic. I guess in places like these reputation is everything, and especially for people who spend a lot of time here, take an active part, and use BST a lot there's usually more to lose from damaging ones reputation than one could gain from making one quick profit.

Personally the... 5-10 transactions I've done as a buyer here were always positive, and I never felt ripped off or deceived in any way. I've only sold a handful of knives but I've always tried to give people the same experience - and I sincerely hope I succeeded in that regard. But maybe I'm just too honest for this world. 🤷‍♂️

Just think how much closer we would be to having CKTG unblocked if this set of reasonable opinions had been posted in the KKF counts to a million thread.

Unpopular opinion: it’s a good idea to bring your own hot sauce to McDonald’s.
Also, fine to sneak in a slice of Kraft Singles American Cheese into an upscale restaurant to put onto a $30 hamburger—it’ll taste better.
89E643E2-F1C1-49FA-AD40-3DB62C8849C3.jpeg

Yeah every time I get a ribeye sandwich from The Capital Grille I make sure to add a Kraft single to it. Also order the meat well done so that I can be sure it doesn’t have any 5Gs in it.

did they unroll that “egg” from some kind of egg dispensing box?

Yeah every time I get a ribeye sandwich from The Capital Grille I make sure to add a Kraft single to it. Also order the meat well done so that I can be sure it doesn’t have any 5Gs in it.

did they unroll that “egg” from some kind of egg dispensing box?
Dunno, I've not been in a McDonald's kitchen for decades. The brekkie was good—eggs, rice, Portuguese sausage, SPAM, packet of soy sauce to drizzle over the rice.

Interestingly, McDonald's in suburban Hawaii is an altogether different experience than eating at a NYC McDonald's—the former has considerably better food made by people that have more pride in their work; servers are very friendly and chatty; this place is a hangout where locals come to socialize and many know each other. SPAM and Saimin (Hawaii's version of ramen) are popular items.

That’s cool. I haven’t had McDs in over a decade, perhaps longer. That Melinda’s is good. Too bad they discontinued the roasted habanero.

That’s cool. I haven’t had McDs in over a decade, perhaps longer. That Melinda’s is good. Too bad they discontinued the roasted habanero.
Had seen Melinda's on the shelf forever, but finally decided to try it within the past year. Good stuff, have been using the one in the black label.

TBH, only go to McDonald's (and Taco Bell) when traveling, when there's little other options.

That Melinda’s is good. Too bad they discontinued the roasted habanero.
They changed from fresh peppers/puree to a fermented habanero mash a few years back. Now it tastes more like a Caribbean sauce (e.g. Matouk’s, Grace) to me. Marie Sharp’s tastes much closer to the fresh/citrusy profile of the older Melinda’s.

They changed from fresh peppers/puree to a fermented habanero mash a few years back. Now it tastes more like a Caribbean sauce (e.g. Matouk’s, Grace) to me. Marie Sharp’s tastes much closer to the fresh/citrusy profile of the older Melinda’s.
Marie Sharp's is one of my faves—seen top left in an LA hot sauce shop. Also really like Secret Aardvark from Portland.
IMG_0086.JPG

Marie Sharp's is one of my faves—seen top left in an LA hot sauce shop. Also really like Secret Aardvark from Portland.
View attachment 285392
I only first tried Marie Sharp's recently but am fully converted. I like the green one too.

If we're talking hot sauce, these two stay on heavy rotation in the SwampKitchen

1000027998.jpg

I only first tried Marie Sharp's recently but am fully converted. I like the green one too.

If we're talking hot sauce, these two stay on heavy rotation in the SwampKitchen

View attachment 285397

Love trying out new stuff. Here're three my wife brought me from LA, that introduced me to Marie Sharp. The Carolina Reaper is WAAYYY to hot for my taste.
22DF1BB6-8164-4C3E-9429-4B92DF2F8558.jpg

Sure... I'll bite. Moving threads because Knife Findings isn't the right place for this.
Never had any issues with Kato steel. Very good heat treat and used plenty of his knives in my kitchen. Not sure what you are talking about.
I’ve sharpened plenty of Kato’s too, used some of them in both home & pro kitchens. In my experience, none have been great. All but one was fine, but nothing special. The one I’m thinking of in particular was certainly off. The core steel was exceptionally chippy unless there was a TON of convexity right behind the edge lending it lots of strength. On that same knife, anything above 1k or so would lead to a very glassy dull feeling edge, even when the apex was clean. The type of biteless yet sharp edge than many around here hate. I’m not saying they’re all like that, but it’s one of only two knives I’ve sharpened where I’d describe the heat treatment as flawed.

I get that plenty of people are on the hype train. Kato's are cool, I like the ones I've owned / used. But I don't get the praise for the steel TBH.

But to be honest sharpening edge to bend on a nail is not my ideea of sharpness especially on the geometry which kato and other japanese smiths employ( these are rigid blades). Also they are not made of super steels after all they are just made of carbon steels and shoud avoid very acute sharpening angles if possible go for a microbevel like most japanese do.
Plenty of Japanese knives are thin enough to nail flex. Toyama / Watanabe, Ashi, most of the Konosuke lasers, etc. all come with very acute geometry immediately behind the edge. So not sure what you're on about here.

I find that very fine thinness behind the edge (which is more of a grind rather than edge angle thing) combined with a conservative edge bevel is the best balance of performance and strength to my taste. For reference, I don’t own any super steels, all my knives are simple carbon.

Back