Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As young adult I lived in Amsterdam riding my bike in typical 'Amsterdam style' (which a.o. means traffic lights do not exist)....when I started driving lessons it became clear to me how silly that is...
In the NL cyclist have special protection of law, as 'sensitive road user' effectively making them financially immune to the effects of largely self inflicted harm.

cyclist should indeed have mandatory licence plates and insurance
View attachment 305193
so you used to see the world through common-sense values shared by everyone around you, but then you got a car and now you think everyone who travels in public should be treated like a car? absolutely carpilled

State with the Worst Drivers is TEXAS, according to Forbes Mag. Second worst is Louisiana, followed by Kansas, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.

FWIW, Texas and Louisiana are in my Top Five Best Food in the USA List, ...Oklahoma the most hyped burgers.
View attachment 304985
I'm honestly shocked Wisconsin isn't up there for drunk driving.....

I"m not against cyclists as much as stupid people....
Like motorcycle riders that are weaving in and out of traffic on the highway going 70 miles a hour?

You think I'm going to ***** die if I hit you or you accidentally hit me by weaving like that? You gonna tell me to "watch out for motorcycles" if you are the r-tard (sorry to use that term derogatorily but I mean it literally) driving like you in a mission impossible movie? No. as far as I'm concerned if you get hit that is on you.

END rant.

That being said... yes, I think people need to be more conscientious when in the city and opening doors. like you watch for cars, you can watch for a cyclist before popping your door wide open.

Like motorcycle riders that are weaving in and out of traffic on the highway going 70 miles a hour?

You think I'm going to ***** die if I hit you or you accidentally hit me by weaving like that? You gonna tell me to "watch out for motorcycles" if you are the r-tard (sorry to use that term derogatorily but I mean it literally) driving like you in a mission impossible movie? No. as far as I'm concerned if you get hit that is on you.

END rant.

That being said... yes, I think people need to be more conscientious when in the city and opening doors. like you watch for cars, you can watch for a cyclist before popping your door wide open.

Speaking of motorcyclists. Lane splitting is ridiculous and should be illegal. I get that being between a vehicle that’s stopped and a vehicle that may not be coming to a stop is hair raising, but you’re on a vehicle without crash protection of any form so that should be the least of your concerns. It adds another thing to stress over as a driver because I never know when some idiot is going to come by hair splittingly close. They, along with anyone in a lifted truck are some of the groups I revile the most on the roads since they essentially refuse to follow common decency on the road.

That only applies to those driving sport motorcycles, Harley’s are loud but recused because while 80-90’s movies would tell you biker gangs are the hellions of the highway, my extensive experience on the road with gaggles of leisure riders tells me they’re just balding men in their 50’s going through a midlife crisis who decided joining hells angels and trafficking a lil bit of crank on the weekends would be a nice way to get out of the house and away from the missus when the weathers good. They act, communally like an 18 wheeler or a very loud school of fish and don’t cause any problems with tail gating or lane splitting.

motorcycle riders that are weaving in and out of traffic on the highway going 70 miles a hour?

[…] people need to be more conscientious when in the city and opening doors. like you watch for cars, you can watch for a cyclist before popping your door wide open.
Lane splitting is ridiculous and should be illegal.

You gonna love this one

Last edited:

END rant.

This. In Southern California when bicyclists get in groups for some reason they start thinking that they should block the whole road riding in parallel conversing. People in cars don’t do this usually. Or a hundred bike riders on PCH yelling at everyone parked to watch out even when I very carefully and slowly opening the door to not hit one of these morons. Don’t be an idiot and all is fine people here are not used to bicyclists so take that into account. Also consider these people are riding for fun, exercise lets not pretend they go to work or shopping and saving the planet by not using cars, they drive to work, so if you are out there riding for fun don’t make it everyone else’s issue.

Pedestrians too it might be your right of way technically, we have very strange laws, but if you jump in front of a moving car in the middle of the road when it is dark and you are wearing dark cloth you will get hit as people can’t stop instantly. Watch for the cars when crossing you are much more agile than a moving car and the price of a collision for you is significantly higher.

The amount of anti-bike ******** I see being spouted from members I otherwise thought were level-headed and intelligent is disheartening to say the least.

There's a simpler explanation here. ******** gonna *******, no matter the mode of transportation.

Unrelated, but broadly pertinent - the fact that swear words are asterisked out in this site as if we’re children is so ****ing annoying. Without fail I always try to figure out which word was censored.

Unrelated, but broadly pertinent - the fact that swear words are asterisked out in this site as if we’re children is so ****ing annoying. Without fail I always try to figure out which word was censored.
Me too!

Agreed. Can any mods shed light on why this is? Was it always this way? What's the reasoning? @Edge @daveb @Nemo @Matus

New Orleans might have succeeded in solving the “share the road” debate between cyclists and motorists. Let me explain.
The city has a legacy of crooked elected officials that is so real perhaps it inspired Law and Order or something similar. Nothing ever gets repaired. The streets are beyond crumbling and falling apart. There’s even half a dozen IG pages dedicated to documenting the potholes lol. Treme (HBO) depicted this in an episode. Some potholes have grown so large cars have fallen into them but these are the extreme cases.
If you’re a cyclist in NOLA it’s pretty much impossible to get around without heavy duty mountain bike off road tires. The crumbling steeets make it impossible to zip in and out of traffic without hitting a hole or popping a tire. So everyone has to ride and drive slow and stay cautious.
The cyclists just use whatever is the equivalent of a beater hybrid, cruiser or mountain bike with upgraded thick tires.

New Orleans might have succeeded in solving the “share the road” debate between cyclists and motorists. Let me explain.
The city has a legacy of crooked elected officials that is so real perhaps it inspired Law and Order or something similar. Nothing ever gets repaired. The streets are beyond crumbling and falling apart. There’s even half a dozen IG pages dedicated to documenting the potholes lol. Treme (HBO) depicted this in an episode. Some potholes have grown so large cars have fallen into them but these are the extreme cases.
If you’re a cyclist in NOLA it’s pretty much impossible to get around without heavy duty mountain bike off road tires. The crumbling steeets make it impossible to zip in and out of traffic without hitting a hole or popping a tire. So everyone has to ride and drive slow and stay cautious.
"succeeded" and "solving" LOL!

Agreed. Can any mods shed light on why this is? Was it always this way? What's the reasoning? @Edge @daveb @Nemo @Matus

Technical threads shouldn't be polluted with profanity. I understand most may not be offended, but we want to make the community as inviting as possible.

It's not about treating you as children, its about holding everyone to a higher standard.

1709585471993.jpeg

Back