Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it isn’t powered by 28 cylinder radical Wasp Major I don’t want it
lol I knew a guy who had to deal with those (!)ing C-124s. They were such awful oil burners that the phrase among ground crew was “fill the oil and check the fuel, Sir?”

I agree on your big picture point about electric being the future. But I think the tech required to get electric cars to a point where they’re equally convenient to ICE is at least a decade, probably two away.
The upcoming Ramcharger seems to be a nice step in this direction with both electric and gas but an insane amount of mileage. That being said I’m sure price will be a significant barrier to entry.

When buying knives, full light photos or videos from sellers/vendors showing all angles and any flaws are much more likely to get my business than artsy photos with dark backgrounds or silly props. I'd be really upset to discover flaws that were hidden (inadvertently or deceivingly) as a result of photo choice.

When buying knives, full light photos or videos from sellers/vendors showing all angles and any flaws are much more likely to get my business than artsy photos with dark backgrounds or silly props. I'd be really upset to discover flaws that were hidden (inadvertently or deceivingly) as a result of photo choice.
also, if you do the weird knife-resting-on-forearm pose I'm just going to laugh at you. like why

Yeah there was definitely a limit how many radicals you can stack… But hi 4000 horsepowers
Iirc the hottest spec (supercharged w/ water and alcohol injection) was 4300 hp from >4600cid. It was like 3800 in the big fat aluminum cloud.
It was one of the benchmarks for “more power than reliability”.

Got a 2019 Nissan Leaf. Fun to drive: better acceleration than any of the other cars I’ve had recently, not that any of them were sports cars. Basically no maintenance. Can charge it in my driveway. Win!
Yes electric cars are sensible here. Better half wanted a electric vehicle we split price of sunpower panels & one Tesla battery. She picked up a 2022 Leaf with 8K miles on it. I've driven it a ways like it better than the CVT automatic transmissions that search for best gas milage. Stick to my 6 speed manual trans on my Subaru.

Attachments

• 1709794613533.gif
    1709794613533.gif
    377.6 KB · Views: 0
Hydrogen powered vehicles are the way forward. No nasty, polluting/destructive lithium mining. If its good enough for the sun......

Hydrogen powered vehicles are the way forward. No nasty, polluting/destructive lithium mining. If its good enough for the sun......
It's really attractive, but not great for cars. Energy density is quite low, and it is difficult to store because hydrogen softens steel; you need special alloys to safely store liquid hydrogen. It is also somewhat disconcerting that leaks or rupture of a tank result in truly momentous explosions.

At least at the moment, hydrogen seems to be best suited for factories that are in areas with lots of sunlight. You make the hydrogen with solar cells, store it on site, and convert it into electricity on site, with zero end-to-end pollution.

nice, though in order to serve all the industrial fossil fuel users that reserve (and the others mentioned in that article) needs to be VAST.

problem nr 2 with H2 is that green production is not very efficient and you need to include the efficiency of the solar cells too, so there may be better alternatives.
True. But making hydrogen from solar cells produces zero pollutants, so I don't mind if it's not as efficient. After all, the energy source is free and non-polluting.

For cars, there are serious pragmatic problems. In particular, you would need something equivalent to the network of petrol stations we have now. With the added complexity, cost, and risk of storing hydrogen in bulk, which is much more difficult than storing gasoline in bulk.

I suspect that battery-powered cars will win out in the long run. Not because batteries are inherently better, but because they are useful for so much more. I believe we are headed towards a future where almost all cars are battery powered and recharged as much as possible from domestic solar panels. Moreover, the batteries in a car will be grid connected and be controlled by the electricity distributor (much like hot water systems get turned on and off during off-peak with a ripple counter). Now we have something truly powerful:
  • Cars that mostly get their energy from sunlight, depending on geography and weather.
  • Cars that act as mass storage for the electricity grid which now can be powered mostly by wind and solar, because all those cars combined act as a big energy reservoir that one can draw on when the sun doesn't shine or the wind doesn't blow.
  • The car can act as a battery backup for my house during black-outs, much like a UPS for a computer.
  • Much of the energy is created locally, stored locally, and consumed locally, so there are fewer transmission losses.
I firmly believe that it'll be no more than ten years before we'll see legislation in Europe that will require car manufacturers to make car batteries bi-directional, so I can use them to power the car and to power my home. Some time further down the road, it will become mandatory to plug in the car when it is at home. (Easy to monitor that with GPS and connectivity of both the solar system and the car.)

I know, that sounds like something of a Big Brother approach. But it's the sensible thing to do; a combination of carrots (incentives to switch to a government-controlled solar system and car) and sticks (forcing manufacturers to support a universal bi-directional standard and increased fees for failing to plug in your car) will get us there.

we'll see, right now there is not much going on in the governmental part of managing the energy transition other than subsidizing (some) EV's and that goes for various EU countries.
Aside from that, I can show a graph of the solar panel output in the last three months that may illustrate the fact that they are almost useless in winter where I live.

Local is nice, but we'll need international backup and reserve systems. Germany has powered down all nuclear power, and is burning 'Braunkohle' to replace that...just look at 'Grevenbroich' on google maps, it's a hole in the earth you can see from space with the naked eye.

So energy companies get to cherry pick and are currently trying to maximize profits by crying about the cost of carrying the PV panel output during peak hours, and energy transport companies cry because the neglect to invest over the past three or so decades now is becoming apparent.

Car batteries are bi directional as is, it's the DC HV-grid AC convertor that needs to be VTG proof.

IMHO governments should (have) pro-actively focus on requiring energy companies to create 'future proof-ness' of the grid, and help/push energy storage for those days weeks months without solar energy and low wind energy and that is not happening right now. (not here, neither in many other EU countries).

There are newly built housesand factories changing from fossil to electricity waiting for months to get connected right now and all involved are looking at the other parties while strengtening the grid is at a snails pace (a.o. because of the ridiculously long complaint process)

we'll see, right now there is not much going on in the governmental part of managing the energy transition other than subsidizing (some) EV's and that goes for various EU countries.
Aside from that, I can show a graph of the solar panel output in the last three months that may illustrate the fact that they are almost useless in winter where I live.
Yes. Northern Europe isn't exactly a prime location for solar panels. But that shouldn't deter the idea because there are lots of places where solar panels are really effective. Where they are less effective, we can supplement solar by other means. Wind works pretty well in Northern Europe. Nuclear is a great options when it comes to on-demand generation. And, heck, no-one says that we have to turn off every last coal-fired power plant. If we turn off most of them, we'll be fine. The few that remain will presumably be retained because they are the only and best possible option under the circumstances.

Lcal is nice, but we'll need international backup and reserve systems. Germany has powered down all nuclear power, and is burning 'Braunkohle' to replace that...just look at 'Grevenbroich' on google maps, it's a hole in the earth you can see from space with the naked eye.
The Braunkohle thing is a catastrophe. Loads of people will die because of this; they would have lived if Germany had retained nuclear power.

The decision to turn off nuclear power was probably one of the most misguided decisions ever. German nuclear plants were based on technology that is vastly different from the one used at Chernobyl, and an accident like there (or at Fukushima) was never going to happen in Germany. I cannot help shake the feeling that this decision was made in order to placate voters rather than to deal with the actual problem. Because the solution (keeping nuclear and why that is a good idea) was going to be too difficult to sell. The made the easier sale instead.

So energy companies get to cherry pick and are currently trying to maximize profits by crying about the cost of carrying the PV panel output during peak hours, and energy transport companies cry because the neglect to invest over the past three or so decades now is becoming apparent.
Indeed. In any technology shift, there are losers. Whether it's weavers, elevator operators, electricity generators, or truck drivers. Sooner or later, any technology and its associated workers becomes obsolete. I know, this sounds harsh. But it is not just the price of progress. Just reality, without any attached value judgement. (The dinosaurs probably thought it was unfair that they got wiped out, too…)

Car batteries are bi directional as is, it's the DC HV-grid AC convertor that needs to be VTG proof.
I don't believe I could get energy out of my Model 3 even if I rewired a few bits. I don't think the inverter can run backwards; is there a direct galvanic connection from the external connector to the batteries that I could actually draw energy from?

IMHO governments should (have) pro-actively focus on requiring energy companies to create 'future proof-ness' of the grid, and help/push energy storage for those days weeks months without solar energy and low wind energy and that is not happening right now. (not here, neither in many other EU countries).
Without an economic incentive, such things don't happen. I can reason and shout all I like that "this is what we must do to save the planet". If "the thing that we must do" doesn't save someone money compared to what they are doing now, "the thing" won't happen.

There are newly built housesand factories changing from fossil to electricity waiting for months to get connected right now and all involved are looking at the other parties while strengtening the grid is at a snails pace (a.o. because of the ridiculously long complaint process)
As always, it comes down to money. As long as the manufacturers of plastic bags do not have to pay for disposal of their bags and do not have to pay for the damage done by micro-plastics, they will continue to make money by producing plastic bags. They will stop making them precisely when it is cheaper to not make them and make something else instead.

I've read that high efficient solar panels can be put on ships to generate more hydrogen fuel. We got a good deal from commercial installer 10 sunpower panels & battery for same price 8 panels & battery from other dealer. They put them on garage roof, so no holes drilled into roof. Our Tesla battery is fully charged before noon. We could go off grid & have more than enough power even now electric company draws off our battery during peak hours 5-8 pm.
The Sunpower panels are much more efficient than twice the panels from 10+ years ago. It would reason that they will continue to get better & cheaper. Energy wise Hawaii is great for wind & solar. Kind of like Norway has oil, natural gas, hydro power, wind turbines. They export oil & build clean energy infrastructure.
Their population is not that high, dont live in corrupt system like Arab oil kingdoms & Russia where the few like Putin reap the profits for themselves.
He went right after Ukraines oil early in the war.

Airplanes cannot have heavy batteries. The solar electric planes can't carry much weight at all so commercial use is out. Jet Fuel will be around as long as jets are flying. All the military still need oil except for Nuclear ships & Submarines.

I don't believe I could get energy out of my Model 3 even if I rewired a few bits. I don't think the inverter can run backwards; is there a direct galvanic connection from the external connector to the batteries that I could actually draw energy from?
not sure in a model 3, in my car (ioniq 5) I can draw about 3KWh from the battery using V2L, VHG when available likely a multiple of that. How that is wired internally? dunno...the fact that it runs on 800V and the inverter is a costly piece of kit I have not looked into tinkering with it...Tesla? from the look of it you need a (pretty useless IMHO) 'cybertruck' to get 11KWh from the car battery.

Back