Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who say that a knife/steel holds an edge forever have very low standards or don't use the knife.

I understand that as long as the knife is pretty thin behind the edge it can continue cutting even when dull. I've tried many steels from the best makers and sharpeners and none of them stayed super sharp, as in cutting ripe tomatoes easily or paper towel effortlessly for extremely long. Some steels/knives stay sharp much longer than others, but not for months or years as some claim, not in my use.....
As a home cook with almost 40 knives, since I try to rotate through them all, I end up using each knife less than once a month for cutting like three things. Sometimes I wish they would dull faster so I can enjoy sharpening them more often. :(

People who say that a knife/steel holds an edge forever have very low standards or don't use the knife.

I understand that as long as the knife is pretty thin behind the edge it can continue cutting even when dull. I've tried many steels from the best makers and sharpeners and none of them stayed super sharp, as in cutting ripe tomatoes easily or paper towel effortlessly for extremely long. Some steels/knives stay sharp much longer than others, but not for months or years as some claim, not in my use.....

I think you’re being a bit overly literal in your reading of the word “forever.’

To make up for the lack of controversy in my last statement:

Am I the only one who thinks flat-earthers have a point? The earth is flat for the vast majority of people. After all, spacetime is curved, but physicists pretend that 'local flatness' is a legitimate concept. In that sense, the earth is 'locally flat' for most people who aren't flying commercial planes or working with satellites.

Physicists, a.k.a. 'flat-spacers' are hypocrites.
They have a point… on top of their heads.

I think you’re being a bit overly literal in your reading of the word “forever.’
No I am not. I don’t think they literally mean forever, but even the meaning of many month or years must be a hyperbole. Only if the knives are used very rarely or the standard of sharpness is very lax. I wish instead we used hours of use when discussing how long something is sharp, then again without the definition of what sharp is it is all futile, I am just whining.

White 2 has sucky edge retention as it dulls before I think I should have to sharpen it. Blue 2 has good edge retention as it doesn't get dull before I think I have to sharpen it. VG-10/SG2 suck as I can't get them as sharp as W#2 or B#2 but they never get dull before I think I should sharpen them.

Dull equals not being able to cut whatever I've got in front of me with my preferred technique.

My timeline for should sharpen has to do with vague recollections of how often I've used the knife since I last sharpened it.

This is a good point. Indeed, perceptions of edge holding are inseparable from perceptions of sharpness.

Edit: "Unpopular Opinions" thread version:
There's no such thing as edge holding. It's all sharpness.

Unless it's for work you do need more than 3-5 knives and even if you work with knives chances are you still don't... says the guy with like 40

White 2 has sucky edge retention as it dulls before I think I should have to sharpen it. Blue 2 has good edge retention as it doesn't get dull before I think I have to sharpen it.
I would agree that W#2 doesn't have as good edge retention as B#2 but it is softer and much more faster and pleasant when I take it to stones which makes the entire process more enjoyable :) I look at sharpening my knives like I have to cut my grass. It is what is to maintain things in life.

No I am not. I don’t think they literally mean forever, but even the meaning of many month or years must be a hyperbole. Only if the knives are used very rarely or the standard of sharpness is very lax. I wish instead we used hours of use when discussing how long something is sharp, then again without the definition of what sharp is it is all futile, I am just whining.
I have seen people claim their Shun haven't been sharpen for years and still sharp, probably it microchipped so much it become a serrated blade.

White 2 has sucky edge retention as it dulls before I think I should have to sharpen it. Blue 2 has good edge retention as it doesn't get dull before I think I have to sharpen it. VG-10/SG2 suck as I can't get them as sharp as W#2 or B#2 but they never get dull before I think I should sharpen them.

Dull equals not being able to cut whatever I've got in front of me with my preferred technique.

My timeline for should sharpen has to do with vague recollections of how often I've used the knife since I last sharpened it.

Something crazy is going on with my Wakui white 2 nakiri. I’ve used it several times since the last stropping and it’s still sticking into my board. I haven’t sharpened it since I got it, just stropped it the one time. Edge retention so far is really impressive for white 2.

Something crazy is going on with my Wakui white 2 nakiri. I’ve used it several times since the last stropping and it’s still sticking into my board. I haven’t sharpened it since I got it, just stropped it the one time. Edge retention so far is really impressive for white 2.
He did some magic on his knives, kind regret I didn't buy a 240mm gyuto when CKC had them for $200.

My quality example of White 2 was a Kono FM. It dulled sooner that I thought it should have and I found it a PITA to get sharp. My FM White 1 nakiri is way easier to deal with (easier to sharpens and keeps it longer)

Never tried a Wakui, but sounds interesting

Probably already stated somewhere already, but I don’t get the purpose of stainless cladding with carbon cores. You still need to wipe down and potentially oil the most important part of the blade, the edge. The difference between caring for the core, and caring for the core + iron cladding is minimal.

Either go all stainless, or go all carbon. No shame in either one.

I have seen people claim their Shun haven't been sharpen for years and still sharp, probably it microchipped so much it become a serrated blade.
I have experienced this myself. This is why shun and vg10 the way they make it are my favorite knife/steel combinations. Have you heard of self sharpening knives, the more you use them the better they cut? Shun was first, they spoiled me so much that I don't buy vg10 at all now. I just know I'll be disappointed.

Probably already stated somewhere already, but I don’t get the purpose of stainless cladding with carbon cores. You still need to wipe down and potentially oil the most important part of the blade, the edge. The difference between caring for the core, and caring for the core + iron cladding is minimal.

Either go all stainless, or go all carbon. No shame in either one.
Iron clading is often more reactive than the core. Much more.

Iron clading is often more reactive than the core. Much more.

Honestly I’m beginning to think it’s more with the specific iron cladding. My wat and mazaki irons reacted so fast they went orange on their first onion cuts before moving to blue. The mazaki settled down and I would say it’s not much different then caring for the white#2 steel which still feels a bit more reactive than regular mono steels.

On the other hand I’ve got an iron clad catchie where the core is reacting faster than the cladding. Have another on route so we’ll see if that situation repeats but it’s been weird to see it happen so far.

Stainless cladding on carbon just feels so soulless to me, nothing against monostainless or stainless clad stainless though. Just seems weird to mix it

Latest posts

Back