Using thickened water on whetstones.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my nephews is a machinist and builds hot rods. I remembered the body and fender technique of using a wet sponge while sanding body panels. I tried that with my Whetstones. Perfect solution. you just keep a wet sponge handy and when needed you just wipe the stone's surface to wet and clean it.

I also tried some of my Tsubaki oil, (camellia oil) which I use on my Japan Cypress cutting boards. and on my carbon steel knife blades. It worked great, don't know if it is any better than other such oils but it smells so good.

Here is the stuff I use with my razor finishers. Pharmaceutical/food grade propylene glycol.
Completely safe for skin, eyes, inhalation. Non odorous. You can literally eat it and rub it on your skin FDA approved.

View attachment 310361

Works great with hard or soft stones. Natural or synthetic. I get the stone wet with water and then add several drops of propylene glycol. I suppose it would work for coarse and medium stones too but in most other cases I will prefer either straight water or straight mineral oil.
And Kosher! those Rabbi blessings can't hurt...

I just used some diluted soap water on my Shapton Pro 2000 for some edge touch ups on my Birgersson. And damn! It's one of the most refined yet bitey edge I've ever seen out of my SP2k. Sliced a clean straight line through paper towel length wise.

I'm definitely a believer in sharpening with water and an extra medium now.

I just used some diluted soap water on my Shapton Pro 2000 for some edge touch ups on my Birgersson. And damn! It's one of the most refined yet bitey edge I've ever seen out of my SP2k. Sliced a clean straight line through paper towel length wise.

I'm definitely a believer in sharpening with water and an extra medium now.
spit on it next

I used dishwashing soap on some oil stones I had that had a habit of loading up the oil I used at the time. With the soap the carborundum fine side of them didn't load up and rinsing it off it the sink kept it clean.

What has been a real revelation with these Shapton Whetstones is how quickly they put on the kind of edge I want. I am going to get out my Marine KaBar and see what they can do with it. This KaBar has never had the kind of edge WW2 Marines told me the had on theirs. The KaBar is always been made of 1095 Cro-Van steel with a hardness of HRC of 56 to 58 it should not be hard to put the 20º or so degree angle they are sharpened at. I am thinking I have never used the proper stones to do it.

I tried the thickened water - nectar thick to be exact. Used it with an aebl Marko, SG500 and SG2000. It felt good, very smooth. Did not inhibit burr formation (very light on SG500), did not make a mess, liked that it's food safe, cleaned up easily. I'll do it again - but likely not every time.View attachment 309974
What is this product?! Hormel thick and easy clear? With a hint of lemon? Is this the elusive transparent, extra smooth, lemon flavored spam I have been seeking? I’m sure it must be a highly refined pork product.

I tried the thickened water - nectar thick to be exact. Used it with an aebl Marko, SG500 and SG2000. It felt good, very smooth. Did not inhibit burr formation (very light on SG500), did not make a mess, liked that it's food safe, cleaned up easily. I'll do it again - but likely not every time.View attachment 309974

Hmmm

Could it make Soaking stones splash and go?

Interesting.

Can you permasoak in thickened water?

?Two birds one stone?

looking at the ingredients of the silver gel topical and the thickening agent in it is sodium Carbomer. Carbomer is available in Amazon in powdered form. it is a product of coconuts. Mixed with water it forms a crystal gel. According to Google AI search a water gel made with Carbomer with no other ingredients has a shelf life measured in years. I orders some we will see how it works.

looking at the ingredients of the silver gel topical and the thickening agent in it is sodium Carbomer. Carbomer is available in Amazon in powdered form. it is a product of coconuts. Mixed with water it forms a crystal gel. According to Google AI search a water gel made with Carbomer with no other ingredients has a shelf life measured in years. I orders some we will see how it works.

And generally considered safe and non toxic for skin contact and fume inhalation! Much better than the colloidal silver.

Here is the stuff I use with my razor finishers. Pharmaceutical/food grade propylene glycol.
Well that's facinating. How does it compare to mineral oils or water for preventing metal build up?
Also, as some one trying to put thier first edge on a straight rozor, thanks for the pointer.

This thread really got me thinking about other institutional mediums for sharpening, so I did some experimenting of my own! Both my Dragon and Ashi petty were pretty dull, so we thickened a few things and got to work!

Experiment #1

Medium: Puréed carrots thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (raw)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (1k side)
Knife: Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyuto (24cm)

1712280150163.png

Initial sharpening was particularly slippery: I found it difficult to hold an angle with the carrot goo all over my fingers, but after 20 or so passes I began to feel the familiar coarse bite of the stone. Routinely had to scrape the medium from the sides of the stone back onto the face, but, all things considered, it was surprisingly less messy then I anticipated:

1712280548001.png

Raising a burr was a little more challenging than usual, though one did eventually form and--if I gotta be honest--the swarf mixed with the purée and created a rather attractive "sticky" slurry that I considered using as a polishing compound (perhaps in another experiment).

1712280828920.png

After flipping the burr a few times I decided to move straight to the finishing stone without deburring first.

Experiment #2
Medium: Puréed carrots thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (cooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (6k side)
Knife: Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyuto (24cm)

Given the fairly coarse nature of the uncooked purée, it seemed inappropriate for finishing so I cooked the remainder for 18 minutes at 325F as per package directions, before applying to the fine stone:

1712281031543.png

Finish sharpening was silky smooth - the burr abraded away with almost no effort, and the tactile feedback of the cooked purée along a 6k stone was akin to the creamy responsiveness of something more familiar, like a Rika 5k. It raised little swarf, though the mess was mostly contained to the stone and the stone holder - perfect for easy cleanup!

1712281639226.png

Results: well polished edge that can cut an S through parchment paper and shave your arm hair, perfect alternative if you don't have any Hormel Thick 'n Easy laying around.

Experiment #3
Medium: Puréed Honey Ham thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (uncooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (1k side)
Knife: Ashi Ginga White #2 Petty (21cm)

1712282279885.png

This was a pleasant surprise! The slightly grittier texture of the compound helped pull a burr in as little as 5 passes, and while some of that could be attributed to the better steel in the knife, in practice I'd say it went faster than just the bare stone and water. Swarf captured almost entirely by the slurry; the mess from this was virtually nothing compared to a more traditional approach like, you know, putting water on a rock and applying pressure:

1712282732944.png

Experiment #4
Medium: Puréed Honey Ham thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (cooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (6k side)
Knife: Ashi Ginga White #2 Petty (21cm)

1712282794067.png

Again, I left the burr from the 1k as I moved to finishing on the package prepared thickened compound. This was an unusual sharpening experience: the ham, even cooked, slowed down the cutting and felt just a little more gritty than you'd want for a 6k substrate - reminiscent of a 3k splash and go than anything you'd want for polishing . That said, the mess was again easily contained and, unlike other swarf, a little tasty.

1712283186641.png

Alternating 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 / 2 passes on either side finished removing the burr and tidying up the edge.

Results: well polished edge that can cut an S through parchment paper and shave your arm hair, perfect alternative if you don't have any Hormel Thick 'n Easy laying around.

Lastly, because I do enjoy a bit of a toothy bite to my edges (nobody likes slippery tomatoes), I stropped both knives with edge-trailing strokes on the 6k side, using riced mashed potatoes:

1712283754090.png

Final Thoughts: I was really skeptical of this thread at first, but having tried my own thickened products for sharpening I gotta say: I'm a believer now! Nice job KKF!

Latest posts

Back