Vintage Chicago Cutlery steel type ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in the 70s my parents bought me some Chicago Cutlery (when they were US made)

I still have them and enjoy them because they remind me of wonderful family times.

I always liked the walnut handles and how they took a very sharp edge. I still find “beat” ones at thrift shops for less than $5. I buy them and enjoy rehabbing them.

I never knew what the steel was.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TYPE OF STEEL USED IN THE BLADES?

Thanks

** I now have a huge selection of exotic & high-end knives, but I still like/use my CC knives sometimes.

When did they switch to stainless? I have a bunch from my parents that are 70s vintage. They don't patina at all, sharpen fairly nice but can't hold an edge for long. I always figured 440 something.

I'm guessing most of the wants sold to the general public were 440A stainless or something close to that. I know they did make them in the past but I don't remember any carbon ones in consumer stores.

Chicago Cutlery started out as a professional meat packing brand. Then some genius decided to sell them in consumer stores. The pros decided they weren't really pro knives anymore. I was selling Russell/Dexter at the time and they were very happy about that but they wanted to make sure I didn't sell certain lines to the public too.

Back