What are the cool kids using for knife rolls these days.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
Hey guys it's been ages since I stalked the forums and posted :(

I'm looking for a new knife roll and have no idea who is making the good stuff at the moment so any suggestions to fellow forum members or vendors making nice gear would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What I'm looking for is something that would possibly be slim and not to bully but still fit atleast,

2 gyutos (or one cleaver) 270mm max
1 suji or yanigiba 270mm max
1 parer
1 petty or honesuki
1 filleting knife
1 mac ceramic rod

Only the larger knives will have saya's

The style doesn't matter but I want something that looks handmade or at that level and also durability is a key factor. Leather or cloth is fine.

Thanks again in advance.

Feel free to post pics of you roll with knives!!!

Currently I'm using the EverPride 20 slot kife roll for my work knives. It was less than $40 on Amazon. It's spacious, fit larges knives and has plenty of zipper compartments for utensils, sharpies, notebooks etc. I wouldn't let the price scare you off, it's definitely better made than the previous Wusthof and Mercer knife rolls. Even comes with 2 knife guards, a shoulder strap and a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Reactions: jai
do you carry tools? If so maybe look a a portfolio style

edit: maybe add some contex on use case

Ultimate edge, inexpensive, 18 knives + tools for days

Thanks for the response And as far as price goes I am happy to spend up to 500 aud but not more than this.
Also I have an ultimate edge already and love it for the size and the way the knives dont hang around. But I was looking for something much smaller as I find once I settle into a certain job I usually just have 5 or so knives in rotation :) I had a look at darkhardt rolls last night and the bullit and slim edge look very good and well made but I'm not really sold on it because I haven't seen any reviews. Pictures can lie and also in that price range I could get most rolls so I'd like the keep my mind open.

Keep the suggestions coming guys thanks

I am just thinking loud, but basically all the rolls or cases I have seen have small pouches for the knife handles and the blade is loose, just covered by a piece of cloth. I have one like that too (I am not a pro chef, but bought it when trasporting knives). I never felt good about that as the it is basically impossible to avoid blades touching each other.

This is a really easy one, there's only one way I'd go today and it's with darkhardt!
https://www.instagram.com/darkhardt/
My favorite design:
http://www.darkhardt.com/shop/hokusai-1

The company is based in the states, very reasonable prices and a superb quality products! I'm sure it'll fit everything you mentioned easily and you'll look cool AF!
As for material you have a ton of choices and designs are just the sleekest.
I have 1 already in waxed canvas and ordered another in leather just because of how much I was impressed with the first one.

This is a really easy one, there's only one way I'd go today and it's with darkhardt!
https://www.instagram.com/darkhardt/
My favorite design:
http://www.darkhardt.com/shop/hokusai-1

The company is based in the states, very reasonable prices and a superb quality products! I'm sure it'll fit everything you mentioned easily and you'll look cool AF!
As for material you have a ton of choices and designs are just the sleekest.
I have 1 already in waxed canvas and ordered another in leather just because of how much I was impressed with the first one.
How is the build quality and durability? On your darkhardt roll.

I am just thinking loud, but basically all the rolls or cases I have seen have small pouches for the knife handles and the blade is loose, just covered by a piece of cloth. I have one like that too (I am not a pro chef, but bought it when trasporting knives). I never felt good about that as the it is basically impossible to avoid blades touching each other.
They do touch each other but if it is secure and not to loose usually they dont move to much. Folder style ones hold them in place a bit better. But regardless that's just a good excuse to buy some sexy sayas.

How is the build quality and durability? On your darkhardt roll.
Durability is great both me and a few other friends from the forum and from the kitchens have had it for a while and the materials are way more durable than anything else I've had so far. And quallity is the highest I've seen on a kitchen related brand, It feels good in hand, looks amazing and is just right.

You can scroll through the photos on ig the brand was tagged in and you'll probably see a lot of members from the forum/knife community.

I quite enjoy my Proper Knife Roll. Choosing the color was the hardest part, as they all look great IMO.

IMG_0424.jpg

93e3d86d5fc352c5af35ef6d7400042e.jpg

Darkhardt looks like a nice product, but their minimalist, uber-cool but uninformative bs hipster website kinda sucks. Guess you have to purchase on faith.

I have no need for a knife roll, but I did click the link and look at these. This was my exact impression as well, haha

Darkhardt looks like a nice product, but their minimalist, uber-cool but uninformative bs hipster website kinda sucks. Guess you have to purchase on faith.
Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with uber-cool or hipster but uninformative?!? The website shows a range of knife rolls and each has multiple photos and lists details of materials and overall dimensions (open and closed). It even lists the dimensions of the individual pockets. What other info is needed? For the record, I have a Hokusai roll in waxed canvas and love it. Disclaimer - I'm not a pro knife user.

I got a boldric chef backpack as a gift and i love it. Has 5 knife slots on one side, then room for pens/tools on the opposite. The main compartment has room for some papers and a laptop sleeve. The bag is perfect for me as a chef, carries my knives and all of the paperwork.

I have the custom Darkhardt @Kingkor mentioned… I’m using it as a home cook but the designer Greg is a chef and does work with some big names in the industry. I also have one of the aprons.

View attachment 43257
View attachment 43258
View attachment 43259

From something I wrote previously: "HARDT X Kasumi Gang" Tokyo style knife wrap. Mine is waxed canvas (but leather was also an option) with Italian leather trim and lined with Japanese tenugui featuring the artwork of Katsushika Hokusai… mine is "South Wind, Clear Sky (Gaifū kaisei), also known as Red Fuji, from the series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei)" and there were also some made with "Under the Wave off Kanagawa (Kanagawa oki nami ura), also known as The Great Wave, from the series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei)"

The 10 pockets accommodate various sizes of knives and other kitchen tools… from L-R: Takamura Uchigumo petty (custom handle), Takamura Chromax Santoku, Yoshiaki Fujiwara 馬車馬 Gyuto (custom handle/sheath), Watanabe Mizu-Honyaki Gyuto, Shosui Takeda NAS Gyuto (custom handle/saya), Takamura Uchigumo Sujihiki (custom handle)… also had room for a digital thermometer, nigiri-basami (herb snips), moribashi (plating chopsticks), take-apart kitchen shears (and probably some other things too). It was a pleasure to work with Greg on this project along with the rest of the Kasumi Gang squad

They do custom/collab work for some pretty big names like Jose Andres, idk if you need “faith”.

I have the custom Darkhardt @Kingkor mentioned… I’m using it as a home cook but the designer Greg is a chef and does work with some big names in the industry. I also have one of the aprons.

View attachment 43257
View attachment 43258
View attachment 43259

From something I wrote previously: "HARDT X Kasumi Gang" Tokyo style knife wrap. Mine is waxed canvas (but leather was also an option) with Italian leather trim and lined with Japanese tenugui featuring the artwork of Katsushika Hokusai… mine is "South Wind, Clear Sky (Gaifū kaisei), also known as Red Fuji, from the series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei)" and there were also some made with "Under the Wave off Kanagawa (Kanagawa oki nami ura), also known as The Great Wave, from the series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei)"

The 10 pockets accommodate various sizes of knives and other kitchen tools… from L-R: Takamura Uchigumo petty (custom handle), Takamura Chromax Santoku, Yoshiaki Fujiwara 馬車馬 Gyuto (custom handle/sheath), Watanabe Mizu-Honyaki Gyuto, Shosui Takeda NAS Gyuto (custom handle/saya), Takamura Uchigumo Sujihiki (custom handle)… also had room for a digital thermometer, nigiri-basami (herb snips), moribashi (plating chopsticks), take-apart kitchen shears (and probably some other things too). It was a pleasure to work with Greg on this project along with the rest of the Kasumi Gang squad

They do custom/collab work for some pretty big names like Jose Andres, idk if you need “faith”.
No need to point out that you’re home cook. It’s pretty obvious.

i would be interested if someone could make one out of kevlar so that it doesnt start to fall apart after a year of heavy use. i love ultimate edge but it's not the most durable.

This is a darkhardt roll in Italian leather. The quality is definitely top notch.

View attachment 43269

Hey your pic uploaded, not fair lol. Let’s try this again:

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

I like the valentich that I got from carbonknifeco. Holds a 300mm knife w/ saya and has a secure zipper pouch for all my little tools. It’s also well built and looks great too.

Back