What are the cool kids using for knife rolls these days.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am curious, why do home cooks even have knife rolls? do you guys bring your knives to friends & family houses a lot? maybe i am in the minority on this but i have never even thought to bring my own knife let alone knives somewhere else.

i am curious, why do home cooks even have knife rolls? do you guys bring your knives to friends & family houses a lot?

+1 also do you guys have armed security when you travel ;)

(very nice knives!)

N5vipdDl.jpg

i am curious, why do home cooks even have knife rolls? do you guys bring your knives to friends & family houses a lot? maybe i am in the minority on this but i have never even thought to bring my own knife let alone knives somewhere else.

Sometimes i take them with me places, ppl at my office often ask to see them too, so I may take knives to work

In my case, it's partially transport to friends/family but it's mostly storage. I can't use magnetic strips because my kitchen has stone or tile on the walls, and I have too many knives to keep in a drawer (and many are too long to fit anyway). Have you really never thought to bring your own knife somewhere else? I can understand not thinking about taking knives; I usually feel a little silly taking more than a gyuto. But if I'm going somewhere where I'll be cooking at all... something's coming with me. Especially around the holidays.

I also like to fantasize that if I'm ever called up to the culinary big leagues (or Top Chef or Masterchef or whatever) I'd be ready -- at least in terms of my gear. I've never worked in a kitchen professionally, but I have been thinking hard for the past couple years about getting a pair of non-skid Birkenstock clogs for similar reasons. These are sort of stupid thoughts, but they're borne out of a longing for functionality.

Im a home cook and I have a knife roll, do I use it often? Hell no. One thing I hate is not knowing what tools I have or everything is, so I bring evrerything, especially when Im asked to goto my MIL or my moms place where the sharpest knife is comparable to cusinart unsharpen for 20 odd years, then asked to make dinner for 15 people in 2 hours without knowing what ingredients are available.
I bring my own travel cutting board(s), because most common non knife nerd people have terrrrrrible (and filthy) cutting boards.
All of the above are probably excuses, to justify wanting to feel like a chef and look cool

this just gave me an idea. i am going to ask on my social media who has the most useless knives in their homes? the 'winner' will get a private dinner cooked by me with their arsenal, haha.

You should ask here. I see more unused, unsharpened, $1500+ NIB unicorns for sale here on BST, offered by people I can only assume are professionals.

nope. i've even cooked dinner using just a pair of scissors cause all their knives were completely useless.
Ive done that, in a church basement, where they had ONE knife in the entire kitchen the the senior chef (the 80yr old lady) was using it at a rate of 1.2 chops per min.

I take my knives to and from work because I don't want to leave them there. I don't have anywhere to stash them and - perhaps I'm being too much of a pessimist - they'd have been used to open a dozen catering tins of chickpeas before my next shift...

Darkhardt looks like a nice product, but their minimalist, uber-cool but uninformative bs hipster website kinda sucks. Guess you have to purchase on faith.
That's why I'm coming to you guys first :)

Hahahaha I wonder the same thing sometimes but then I also wonder why they spend thousands and thousands on knifes. But then I look at myself and think how many gyutos do I actually need as a professional chef and the answer is always n+1.

My problem with knife roles is usually they get flogged so hard they fall apart and start to break also some of my knifes I dont have sayas for and multiple times after a fresh sharpen they hard cut through the roll and stabbed me when picking it up. I know this is fixed by having sayas for every knife but some of my knives cop a beating and I cant really justify have a pretty saya to put it in.

My problem with knife roles is usually they get flogged so hard they fall apart and start to break also some of my knifes I dont have sayas for and multiple times after a fresh sharpen they hard cut through the roll and stabbed me when picking it up. I know this is fixed by having sayas for every knife but some of my knives cop a beating and I cant really justify have a pretty saya to put it in.

A cheap plastic edge guard will do the trick if think.

Yeah, edge guards provide plenty of protection. And they're super cheap.

There was a thread not too long ago with everyone professing their love of the cardboard saya

The plastic edge guards can scratch the blade especially soft stainless cladding or if some grit gets inside the guard.
Cardboard works great and you can line with VCI paper, if desired...

Reactions: jai

IMO its pretty much common sense to use a saya or knifeguard when using a knife roll, other than the cutting yourself issue it would pain me to see then clanking each other in the roll.

I looked at the darkhardt site again and its actually pretty user friendly but you can also get things done via IG with them.

I just find it much easier to store them in the cabinets especially if you have quite a few knives, saves space and you can stack multiple rolls.

All of the plastic edge guards I've used (from Korin, Cangshan, Zwilling, Dexter, and CKTG) have been lined with felt. I wasn't aware that anyone sold "naked" plastic ones, but I'd agree that it would be best to avoid them. Cardboard sleeves work fine, but they look janky and take up more space than is necessary. Felt-lined plastic guards are dirt cheap. I've even been given them for free when sending knives in to to be sharpened.

If your knives cut through your knife roll and end up cutting you on multiple occasions... buy some freaking edge guards.

I'm kinda shocked at this thread since if you're even in this forum, you have some attached pride or value to your knives and kitchen equipment. If you travel anywhere, friends place, family or wherever, and you want to do the job right, you bring your tools that will allow you to do that. A contractor doesn't show up to your place to do a home reno and ask to use your tools.
Anyone in the food industry needs to keep their knives with them. They respect their tools and treat them as such. If you have a $500+ knife or a $5 knife, if you want to keep it sharp or safe, get a roll. If you treat your blades with the highest respect, as many of you do, Darkhardt rolls look fantastic and provide all the protection you need. They were designed that way. Leather rolls do similar. The last thing you want to worry about is, "does my knife roll actually protect my investment?".

Darkhardt looks like a nice product, but their minimalist, uber-cool but uninformative bs hipster website kinda sucks. Guess you have to purchase on faith.

I’m thankful for mouth breathers like you, because you remind me why I continue to be a disrupter in all my projects. Otherwise society would never move forward.

Even cardboard and tape will make you a "pressure fit" cardboard saya. That's pretty much free...

Not too sure why it matters aboynamedsuita is a home cook, or anybody else for that matter . Does it make his equipment less durable or lesser than ? Don’t think so .

Darkhardt’s product pictures and descriptions are more than adequate . If you need more info , their customer service is above and beyond . They have gear at several price points from low to high , just check it out .

For me, I’d rather support an American made product . There are tons of rolls and bags out there . I’ve owned lots . Lots fell apart within months , even pricier ones.

I am a chef , and I own a Darkhardt Hokusai Italian leather roll I carry to work daily . I don’t treat my stuff like **** , but I don’t baby it either . It shows no signs of build failure despite daily use for months so far . Quality of materials and build is the best I’ve experienced .

TLDR: If you’re a pro , there is no excuse for not having edge guards at least , if not sayas on every single knife . I personally can’t justify carrying $2k+ of handmade blades in a $50 roll. If you use your gear rough , maybe grab that beater roll and buy a new one every few months .

Not too sure why it matters aboynamedsuita is a home cook, or anybody else for that matter . Does it make his equipment less durable or lesser than ? Don’t think so .

Darkhardt’s product pictures and descriptions are more than adequate . If you need more info , their customer service is above and beyond . They have gear at several price points from low to high , just check it out .

For me, I’d rather support an American made product . There are tons of rolls and bags out there . I’ve owned lots . Lots fell apart within months , even pricier ones.

I am a chef , and I own a Darkhardt Hokusai Italian leather roll I carry to work daily . I don’t treat my stuff like **** , but I don’t baby it either . It shows no signs of build failure despite daily use for months so far . Quality of materials and build is the best I’ve experienced .

TLDR: If you’re a pro , there is no excuse for not having edge guards at least , if not sayas on every single knife . I personally can’t justify carrying $2k+ of handmade blades in a $50 roll. If you use your gear rough , maybe grab that beater roll and buy a new one every few months .

That... and all that

Here’s a few shots of mine.

Attachments

• 5DA24A58-CAFB-497E-9570-278D5B7A60B6.jpeg
    5DA24A58-CAFB-497E-9570-278D5B7A60B6.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 7A9ECB1E-A243-4B26-B7AC-3EB800640E1D.jpeg
    7A9ECB1E-A243-4B26-B7AC-3EB800640E1D.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 107
Back