What are we reading lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
%7B1505A825-C8AE-45A3-BB55-6B1560E2A92D%7DImg400.jpg
That was some evil **** that went down. A piece if history that most people don't know and Japan would like to forget. I am sometimes in sad disbelief over what horrible things human beings are capable of.

The Expanse. I haven't been so captivated by a book series since I read the Foundation and Dune in high school.

th_b_Corey_CibolaBurn.jpg

just finished reading 'The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down' by a Korean monk names Haemin Sunim.

It's mainly about mindfulness, and definitely worth one's time.

Next up is Nudge by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein, this is a guide on how to make better decisions. I've been exposed to some of their work in Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. Truly fascinating insights on human behaviour.

Anyway here it is:

Madness in civilization - a cultural history of insanity by Andrew Scull.

Next up:
Twisted Prey - John Sandford
Enlightenment - Steven Pinker

Well, that and a few text books while preparing my late summer and fall courses. Infectious Diseases Handbook, Health Psychology, Program Planning & Grant Writing etc.

Stefan

"The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel," by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. This is a novel they wrote just prior to "Roadside Picnic," the inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie and video games. Very funny at times... sort of a mashup of Agatha Christie murder mystery with a sci-fi/fantasy edge.

After I finished it, I was inspired to re-read Roadside Picnic, which I haven't done in a while. That's a classic, with a very different feel from Western sci-fi. I might try to track down some of their other books that have been translated.

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker. One of the best books I've ever read. The visions Barker comes up with are beyond other authors in the genre.
51RthacuX3L._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Atelier the cookbook, defiantly a must for any chef or Canadian or food lover.

Mastering the Market Cycle by Howard Marks. I'm a huge fan of his Oaktree memos - for those interested, we're towards the end stages of the current economic cycle.

Last edited:
Just finished 100 years off solitude and started on the zahav cook book. The first couple of pages have been very interesting, a cook book that actually makes you want to read rather than just flip and reference to.

Currently reading Peter F. Hamilton's The Abyss Beyond Dreams. Prior to that it was Thomas Frank's Listen, Liberal. Next up, Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste.

Back