What are we reading lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

CiderBear

Reaction score
I've been listening to audiobooks during my early morning gym sessions. I'm a few chapters into "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" bu Michael Moss and it's fascinating.

GreyBoy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really liked Norwegian Wood, Murakami. Now reading translation of Bhagavad Gita.

That book about the Afghanistan War looks cool, is it a translation? Lol what on Earth is Zinky Boys??

LostHighway

Reaction score
I just started William Gibson's new works including The Peripheral and Agency, presumably there will be a third or fourth book. These are good but I much preferred the immediately prior Blue Ant books: Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. IMO few writers can rival Gibson's capacity to conjure the psychic gestalt of the present and near future.

CiderBear

Reaction score
Just finished listening to The Pentagon's Brain: An Uncensored History of DARPA, America's Top-Secret Military Research Agency and it was pretty interesting stuff.

Starting In Defense of Food next

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished CONFESSIONS OF A GREENPEACE DROPOUT

The Making Of a Sensible Environmentalist

Patrick Moore

captaincaed

(____((___________()~~~
Reaction score

Atul Gawande is worth reading every time (as is Siddhartha Mukherjee). Checklist is eye opening if you've ever been in the hospital or know someone who's a pilot. Quick read.

The Coddling is one I'd recommend if you're interested in how people learn in college and how they get prepared and toughened up for the world.

chefwp

Timing is everything when doing a raindance
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a lot, here are some highlights of about the last year in books, ones that stand out.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders - a very unique way to tell a story

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson - an older book, excellent writing

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson - you won't feel good after reading this about the improprieties of the US justice system, but you should know about it if you live in the US

Anxious People by Frederik Backman - an amusing read

Burial Rites by Hanna Kent - based on real events in 1828, this novel is a fascinating look at Iceland in those times

Underland by Bobert McFarlane - nonfiction, a cool compilation of what lies below the surface of the Earth

Dark Mirror - Edward Snowden and the American Surveillance State by Barton Gelman - also nonfiction, I almost didn't include this one, can be a bit of a slog at times, could have been shorter, but it was pretty interesting

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin - this great sci fi set the standard for so many authors that came after. Beyond that, what a feat of the imagination to envision a whole different world and such a different culture as she does here, amazing.

The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Elizabeth Smith Friedman nonfiction biography, great story

I'm currently reading Aperigon by Collum McCann, still too early to tell

tcmx3

Reaction score
Lean Against this Late Hour & Children of Dune

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
i dont actually read anything since i cant actually read. but lately i've been listening to the "gray man" books on youtube. Mark Greaney.
the whole series is on youtube. i've kinda depleted all my stream sites and youtube on truly good material about 2 years ago. so now i'm here.

there are 2 genres of books that seems to have an infinite amount of new material written. the zombie/survivor genre, and then the fantasy/dragons genre. i just cant handle it for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited: