what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will certianly seem worth it when you are halfway into it. As for its real value, i have no idea.

Anybody here know anything about old rum? I managed to get a hold of an unopened 1939 bottle of Rhum J. Bally.

I've looked up prices for it online and it seems quite crazy. Is it really "worth" that much? I only know about scotch and bourbon, rum not so much.

83c4dc737b2422b79c55.png

Anything before WWII is going to be worth a boatload, especially unopened. Taste doesn't get better/age in the bottle sadly

I think I'll try and sell it. I'd rather drink old scotch than old rum. Just gotta find the right channel to do so.

latest haul

current #1 drink is michter's barrel strength rye, stuff is amazing. i crack it open and sip it straight from the bottle as soon as i purchase.
picked up an unfiltered rye vodka, sounded good.
and of course anything brooklyn brewery makes is good. it's getting really frigging hot down here in florida so during this season it's summer ales all the time for me.
WP_20170605_20_14_07_Pro1_zpsohy1yhdg.jpg~original

Had a couple of Dogfish Head 90min. Ready for bed now.

Stefan

After having it sit in my fridge since 2011, I finally opened it.

Easily one of the top 5 beers I've ever had.

04039b2240c7363c92d6.png

Nice small uniform bubbles are always a good indicator of quality. The color looks lovely and there no better glass than a Tulip for beer IMO. Devil In the details right D/S

It's the biggest tulip I have, the Riedel Grand Cru Burgundy. It so crazy big that it can hold over a liter of fluid. Allows a wonderful nose and for the wine/beer to really breathe. I had the opportunity to buy a case of the 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend, but I thought they were a bit on the pricey side so I only got one. That was five years ago. Now they are more expensive and I'm regretting not buying two cases.

Yes the devil really is in the details. No point in aging a beer for half a decade and then pouring it into a mug.

pikesville rye is treating me really good tonight. it's said to be a higher proof rittenhouse rye but i hate that one so i'm having hard time believing this came from the same stuff.

I must be the only one drinking on a regular basis, today did a GlenCadam 15 yo. with a pipe full of Scottish Cake while watching the cat
chase bugs.

Had two glasses of Glen Scotia 15 purchased on Ralfy's recommendation. So good I ordered four more bottles.

I have to follow up on the above. This is the first time I've ever paid more for my cocktail than I did for my main (drink = $13, entree = $12 - hey, I'm usually a cheap date!).

Sooo worth it in every sense. Whiskey (which I don't normally like) mixed with matcha tea and herbal infused house made simple syrup. Not sweet or boozy at all and complex enough to seriously want to sip and savor over the whole meal. Went with our server's recommendations and I am so glad I did.

Just the drink alone will get me back to Momotaro. It was a 90 minute drive in and a 70 minute drive out. It's very good/bad we don't live closer.

I'm not much of a drinker. Maybe 6 alcoholic beverages a year. Last night I went to a local microbrewery that makes an oatmeal stout. It was delicious enough to make me reconsider my non-drinking ways!!

Royal Crown on the rocks. I know, but tonight it’s for the buzz more than for the moment of enjoyment.

Stefan

Finished off my bottle of Buffalo Trace (Old Fashioned's on Christmas day). Since I'm more of a Scottish/Japanese whisky person, this was my sole bottle of bourbon and I would like to replace it. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm generally not a fan of the sweetness usually associated with bourbon whiskeys (or bourbon cask Scotch either, for that matter) however I do remember being impressed by Four Roses Small Batch a little while back. I've also heard good things about Elijah Craig...

If you can get Elmer T Lee, that would be my top recommendation.

Blanton's Gold Barrel is also good.

I have to follow up on the above. This is the first time I've ever paid more for my cocktail than I did for my main (drink = $13, entree = $12 - hey, I'm usually a cheap date!).

Sooo worth it in every sense. Whiskey (which I don't normally like) mixed with matcha tea and herbal infused house made simple syrup. Not sweet or boozy at all and complex enough to seriously want to sip and savor over the whole meal. Went with our server's recommendations and I am so glad I did.

Just the drink alone will get me back to Momotaro. It was a 90 minute drive in and a 70 minute drive out. It's very good/bad we don't live closer.

If you want some serious cocktails captain you need to check out Billy Sunday. They also have the best collection of old italian style macerations like fernet, amaro etc..

Back