what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Psychopathia sexualis. The original recipe from the 40s called for equal parts, which I wasn't the biggest fan of and thought the gin was lost. I preferred it as 1.5oz gin, 3/4oz both sweet and dry vermouth and 1/2oz of sherry and 2 dashes orange bitters.

View attachment 246627
I’m a big fan of gin drinks where the gin is NOT buried under the other components. I’ll be trying this, thanks.

Psychopathia sexualis. The original recipe from the 40s called for equal parts, which I wasn't the biggest fan of and thought the gin was lost. I preferred it as 1.5oz gin, 3/4oz both sweet and dry vermouth and 1/2oz of sherry and 2 dashes orange bitters.

View attachment 246627
Never heard of that drink, googled it (in incognito mode), tried your variation, drinking it now. Delicious!
Psycho.jpg

Love it! Taylor Swift Oregon AligoTAY. I need this in my life.

There was a period about 10 years ago when everybody in the London wine industry would routinely take the piss out of me for championing Aligote. That was basically the thing people knew about me. But who's laughing now eh... hipster grape variety of choice the world over!

Last edited:
First time trying this version of Chartreuse so did a side by side. They're quite different. The 1605 is deeper, danker, sort of sage-like and 'medicinal', compared with the fresher, brighter regular Green. Fits with the appearance too; the 1605 is noticeably darker/browner. I prefer the regular one to be honest, actually I love it so no surprise that it's hard to beat, but it'll be fun to have the 1605 open and try it in some drinks. I like that they bottle it at 56%!
chartreuse_1605.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple of their rieslings, both really nicely balanced. This was pure without being austere; in fact, it’s pretty generous. Cheers.
I vaguely remember trying some of their wines at Weygandt Wines in Washington DC a long time ago and liking them. Made by one of F.X. Pichler's kids, so should be good!

We only drink wine occasionally & I put it in sauces. Here we get Australian & New Zealand wines at very reasonable prices.
I like them have been trying both reds & whites. This is cheap when on sale don't laugh it's drinkable & goes good in seafood sauces. I think wines from down under are pretty good.
IMG_20230621_132901045.jpg

Is it still a Kingston negroni if you dont use Jamaican rum? Also made strawberry rum for strawberry daiquiris but my gf swiped the drink before I could take a picture

View attachment 250111
Funny, just last night I was thinking about what else I could put in one of these and was thinking a combo of Smith & Cross with a single malt scotch might worth a try. Could be a terrible idea, but might try it sometime.

Funny, just last night I was thinking about what else I could put in one of these and was thinking a combo of Smith & Cross with a single malt scotch might worth a try. Could be a terrible idea, but might try it sometime.
A split base negroni with scotch sounds pretty interesting. Somewhere in between a negroni, a Kingston negroni, and a boulevardier. I'd try it right now if I had any scotch on hand, but please do report back when you get around to it. And remember, there no bad cocktails, just drinks that aren't for your palate ;)

If I was tasked with blending scotch and rum (especially the funky stuff) into a cocktail I’d start either with something gingery / citrusy (pineapple and ginger works well) or as a stirred drink with sherry as a compliment.

Maybe 1oz amontillado, 1/2 oz funky rum, 3/4 oz scotch, 1/4-1/2oz of some liquor (I’d try banana, cacao, and pineapple in that order) and bitters. Orange peel garnish. Maybe

Last edited:
Back