what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our G&T recipe is fill high ball glass with ice, pour 2 or 3 oz of gin with a squeeze of lime and top off with Fever Tree tonic water. We really use more old fashion glasses that we use for Bourbon for our G&T. It gives a higher concentration of gin in an old fashion glass.

With gin & tonic, it's a highball glass for me, with lots of ice . Keeps the tonics' effervescence a little longer. That's a single shot of gin however, with 3-4 parts tonic, and a lemon slice.

Marcel's ratio almost resembles a Martini,,,, maybe it should be re-named as a Martonique!!!:)

hahaha, and one word of caution, during a business function someone was talking to me after he had a few of those...he almost lost his dentures should he have had them...

IMG_4362.jpeg

The Bernardus brewery sometimes helps Westvleteren out, it's not in the same league (Westvleteren is well renowned, and priced accordingly), still a very nice tripel, complex flavors, small bubbles, typical product of slow and long fermentation.

20210806_112610.jpg

this one is for now, the greens were fermented for 48 hours,
20210806_113016.jpg

the result is; honey, funky fudge, chocolate, wine, and some berries of the forest all in a doppio :)

If I could only get my hands on greens like this....

Oh and for Port, Fonseca does an organic Port, Terra something, and cheap too...no really old port but a first nip tells me it;'s not bad and certainly will serve well in a port reduction

Oh and for Port, Fonseca does an organic Port, Terra something, and cheap too...no really old port but a first nip tells me it;'s not bad and certainly will serve well in a port reduction

Terra Prima I guess; that's a Ruby Port I believe. I'm generally not into the Ruby ports because those that I've tried to date tend to be "thinner drier" than the Tawny ports. Then again, I suppose what you pair it with, matters.

Regarding Grappa, I've never tried it. Most Grappa's I've seen locally, have very tall and slender necks on the bottles. I've always thought that those would be very fragile, and just waiting for an accident to happen. The Grappa you posted above, has a regular neck profile, and most importantly, seems to get good reviews. I think I'll give that one a go. Thanks for posting Marcel.

Grappa can be anything between rocket fuel capable of lifting your skull and sheer heaven...Nonino, and Poli are my two goto brands for great grappa, there are many small manufacturers in Italy making very good Grappa yet it's hard to find their products outside Italy.

I also prefer Tawny ports, on this occasion I picked the organic version...and it'll end up in a reduction sauce combined with fond anyway.

Tawny port makes a great cranberry sauce for thanksgiving. I can't eat store bought any more.

I like Grappa but I am no expert. I have a friend and his wife has an aunt the lives in France. I was told there are people in France that travel around and they make Grappa from fruit you have. He brought some back from France. It was good.

Grappa has a DOP, and production is regulated in Italy..it must be made from the pips and shellls pf grapes, not fruit (that is more like a Schnapps)

Are there no US wine makers that discovered Grappa making? Someone close to a few wineries must be able to make something similar? After all it is made from the leftovers, need to take care of the methanol but a decent distiller should be able to create a nice grappa.

Tawny port makes a great cranberry sauce for thanksgiving. I can't eat store bought any more.

I like Grappa but I am no expert. I have a friend and his wife has an aunt the lives in France. I was told there are people in France that travel around and they make Grappa from fruit you have. He brought some back from France. It was good.

What a great idea... (port/cranberry). I can already taste it just by reading the sentence. :)

Jade 1901 Absinthe. It is not the wonder that it was some years ago, a judgment I am fully confident in, because I did a side-by-side on old and new bottles, but it is still very much in the top tier.

Good absinthe is a remarkable thing.
Mediocre absinthe makes you wonder why anyone bothers.
Bad absinthe is one of the worst things you can drink

Jade 1901 Absinthe. It is not the wonder that it was some years ago, a judgment I am fully confident in, because I did a side-by-side on old and new bottles, but it is still very much in the top tier.

Good absinthe is a remarkable thing.
Mediocre absinthe makes you wonder why anyone bothers.
Bad absinthe is one of the worst things you can drink

I always have a bottle of Pernod in stock for my brother-in-law's visits. He's from France, and loves the stuff.

The lowest-end Nigl Gruener Veltliner. But to my taste, any Nigl is great.

Also just put almost 1.75 L of vodka into a jar with a whole bunch of sliced fresh ginger (enough that I could not fit 1.75 L of vodka in a 2L jar). I tried this on a smaller scale and loved the result. Looking forward to the result in a few days.

this one is for now, the greens were fermented for 48 hours, View attachment 136878

the result is; honey, funky fudge, chocolate, wine, and some berries of the forest all in a doppio :)

If I could only get my hands on greens like this....

Fried hats is the good good stuff! You should try some stuff from Manhattan coffee roasters, insanely good lots and great people behind it 🤠 🤠

Fried hats is the good good stuff! You should try some stuff from Manhattan coffee roasters, insanely good lots and great people behind it 🤠 🤠
Looks interesting, I'm finding it almost impossible to source the sort of greens they seem capable of getting hold of...I just roasted a few batches of my own greens but will try this one!
thanks for sharing!

I like a good champagne every now and then bit must admit that I'm more impressed by f.e. a good Alsace white.

for now this is on the menu, a craft beer; aged in wooden casks for 11 weeks, fortified with sherry

20210817_231608.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back