what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the smell of gunpowder😎

There is no single reason that covers the scope of gun owners.

I like handguns for home defense. I do some range time but only enough to maintain some proficiency.

Others enjoy the range time more and some shoot handguns competitively, making financial and time investments that any competive sport requires.

And then there are the collectors.

I shoot rifles for hunting, mostly deer, some cats (hehe). Others shoot for sport, some competively as described above. I have no interest in participating but will watch the 1000yd shooters occasionally. And there's collectors - a friend collects Garands (military rifle) and has about a dozen at any given time. And he shoots them.

Same drill with shotguns. I use them primarily for hunting, but in my younger years would shoot competitively.

I can give you a Canadian perspective. There really is no gun culture here. It is quite difficult to own a hand gun legally in Canada. And most Canadians are fine with that. But because of our proximity to the US, guns enter illegally all the time. Gun violence, mostly gang related, has become a problem in big cities like Toronto were I live. My question to you is this: do Americans like guns because everyone else has them, so they feel safer or do they like guns like I like kitchen knives?
I like them strictly for recreational use (entertainment factor and stress relief)
my favorite things about it is the noise they make, and the smell of gunpowder.

I dont keep it loaded at home for 'self defense'

I can give you a Canadian perspective. There really is no gun culture here. It is quite difficult to own a hand gun legally in Canada. And most Canadians are fine with that. But because of our proximity to the US, guns enter illegally all the time. Gun violence, mostly gang related, has become a problem in big cities like Toronto were I live. My question to you is this: do Americans like guns because everyone else has them, so they feel safer or do they like guns like I like kitchen knives?

there has never been a day in my life I felt like I needed a gun for self defense, and this is true of most people. a well trained dog is far more effective, they can identify human beings from the sound of how they walk.

also, I am very much against hunting for sport. to be clear I realize we all have to eat and I dont have a problem with that at all.

to me theyre just mechanical curios & there is some competitive aspect to it.

tbh if all the guns went away it wouldnt be materially any different than if all the watches in the world vanished, or guitars or floor standing speakers.

as far as why other people like guns, I mean it sure seems like a non-insignificant amount really like playing tactical barbie dressup and I think this is starting to supplant people like my elderly vietnam vet neighbor who has a few because his father had a few in the house, and his father, etc etc, or my grandfather who was a career military officer.

Guns are interesting mechanical devices with lots of engineering in them. You can tinker with them. There is a lot of history and variations, so great for collecting. Shooting sports are fun, varied and very challenging. Lots to overanalyze and obsess over, just like kitchen knives or more. Really, what is not to like?

Sporting clays are so much fun. Ammo and gun situation is insane right now, might still be able to buy clay type sporting shotgun ammo.

Watches, Guitars, Floor standing speakers that's good company what would the world be without them :)

The world is changing fast I may even live long enough to see self driving cars, plasma energy, better batteries making electric cars a good choice.

Lithium Ion first cell phones would catch fire & emit bad fumes. The guy who made them more stable got rich. Still not perfect if a electric car got hit by a Train or Semi it would be nasty. The same guy who invented Lithium Ion is working with others for a better battery.

We are creatures of smell. When was a little kid liked the smell of gasoline because linked it with trips & adventures. Still like the smell of
gasoline. Same with gunpowder duck hunting with my father. Now I love ducks they are very cool birds. Have become a bird watcher have good German binoculars.

I can see how people would collect firearms.
They are intricate mechanisms. At a show here guy was selling antique guns nineteenth century when guns took a leap forward. I was tempted but never bought one.

It's in our DNA weapons. Is it still relative? That is the debate.

Very interesting to hear your points of view guys, I've always wanted to ask. I can definitely see the attraction to the mechanical aspect of a gun and all the history that goes with it. Still, I'm glad there aren't so many around these parts. 😀

there has never been a day in my life I felt like I needed a gun for self defense, and this is true of most people. a well trained dog is far more effective, they can identify human beings from the sound of how they walk.

also, I am very much against hunting for sport. to be clear I realize we all have to eat and I dont have a problem with that at all.

to me theyre just mechanical curios & there is some competitive aspect to it.

tbh if all the guns went away it wouldnt be materially any different than if all the watches in the world vanished, or guitars or floor standing speakers.

as far as why other people like guns, I mean it sure seems like a non-insignificant amount really like playing tactical barbie dressup and I think this is starting to supplant people like my elderly vietnam vet neighbor who has a few because his father had a few in the house, and his father, etc etc, or my grandfather who was a career military officer.
As a highly trained person who instructs firearms I would challenge you to actually get to know people who own and use firearms for defense and sport. Sorry my personal defense decisions and employment opportunities make you so uncomfortable. I assure you most of us are no LARPing or playing dress up. Statistics of personal defense with firearms speak for themselves.

As a highly trained person who instructs firearms I would challenge you to actually get to know people who own and use firearms for defense and sport. Sorry my personal defense decisions and employment opportunities make you so uncomfortable. I assure you most of us are no LARPing or playing dress up. Statistics of personal defense with firearms speak for themselves.

1. Im basing what I said based on a fair amount of experience with such types. As it happens, Im related to a gaggle of them. Not just many military and ex-military but also professional sport hunters, including a close relation who derives all his income from taking pampered city types out into the "wilderness" so they can post IG stories over dead animals.

2. It doesnt make me uncomfortable. I know your type loves to believe you're "triggering" all the people who don't approve, but it's not that at all. I am just looking down on that type as the laughable group of clowns they are, who are going to get our toys taken away from us.

1. Im basing what I said based on a fair amount of experience with such types. As it happens, Im related to a gaggle of them. Not just many military and ex-military but also professional sport hunters, including a close relation who derives all his income from taking pampered city types out into the "wilderness" so they can post IG stories over dead animals.

2. It doesnt make me uncomfortable. I know your type loves to believe you're "triggering" all the people who don't approve, but it's not that at all. I am just looking down on that type as the laughable group of clowns they are, who are going to get our toys taken away from us.
its always the.posers who ruin it for everyone else

Most of Mass shooters are not clinically mentally ill. Quite a few are just wankers with anger victim issues. Loners with active violent fantasies. Social media can feed into these types. Often under 20 yrs. old. Those are the ones that will take our toys away.

For myself I like them more than kitchen knives, my Porsche the Cobra.....etc. I also daily carry and unfortunately have had to draw more than once and discharge twice. I shudder to think where I would be now without. I also carry for one of my jobs. Some people haven't had the culture of firearms and that's fine. Some people don't understand knives or driving, that's also fine. But your....not actually you but those who infringe... ignorance of my rights is not permission to push a different belief in my unwanted.

Hmmmmm ... there is a lot more to Canada than Toronto ... though many Trontites think differently. There are many gun clubs and shooting facilities across Canada and many people who own guns for hunting and recreational purposes. Go to northern (insert province here) and you will find many people who wouldn’t think about going into the bush without one. Male grizzly bears can weigh up to 1500lbs and stand over 9 feet tall ... though I doubt you will find any in the wilds of Toronto. Canada wasted about a billion dollars trying to establish a long gun registry. The registry failed ... some would say because it was ignored and hated by most gun owners.

In my youth I owned a target pistol (S&W Model 41) and shot regularly. I found target shooting to be addictive and in some ways similar to golf. Every city in Canada likely has several gun clubs with shooting facilities ... and most have years long waiting lists to join.

As I see it a gun culture is alive and well in Canada ... even in Toronto.

Hmmmmm ... there is a lot more to Canada than Toronto ... though many Trontites think differently. There are many gun clubs and shooting facilities across Canada and many people who own guns for hunting and recreational purposes. Go to northern (insert province here) and you will find many people who wouldn’t think about going into the bush without one. Male grizzly bears can weigh up to 1500lbs and stand over 9 feet tall ... though I doubt you will find any in the wilds of Toronto. Canada wasted about a billion dollars trying to establish a long gun registry. The registry failed ... some would say because it was ignored and hated by most gun owners.

In my youth I owned a target pistol (S&W Model 41) and shot regularly. I found target shooting to be addictive and in some ways similar to golf. Every city in Canada likely has several gun clubs with shooting facilities ... and most have years long waiting lists to join.

As I see it a gun culture is alive and well in Canada ... even in Toronto.

Hunting rifles and hand guns are two different animals. I was referring to the latter. I do not know nor have I ever met a Canadian who owns a handgun. I know a lot of people.

Do a google search on Toronto gun clubs ... you might be surprised at what you find. Most gun owners ... especially hand gun owners don’t advertise the fact and for your interest it is relatively straight forward to purchase a hand gun in Canada. It requires a police background check and proof of training. Time consuming but definitely possible.

Do a google search on Toronto gun clubs ... you might be surprised at what you find. Most gun owners ... especially hand gun owners don’t advertise the fact and for your interest it is relatively straight forward to purchase a hand gun in Canada. It requires a police background check and proof of training. Time consuming but definitely possible.
I never said it was impossible to own a hand gun. But the number of handgun owners is small. And the fact they don't talk about it, should tell you something. Anyway, can we talk about knives again? 😀

Sorry but you are thread crapping. This is literally a thread about shooting. Good for you that you know people. You seem like such a reasonable person with your superior views. Lol.

Everybody else keep shooting and enjoying your freedom.

California has banned Golf? .... well I guess California continues to lead the way.
:LOL: Not yet, all our rulers like to play it too much.... They might though if they determine it is too dangerous for the rest of the riffraff. They banned diesel Golf for a few years. S&W 41s on the other hand are pure evil....

Sorry but you are thread crapping. This is literally a thread about shooting. Good for you that you know people. You seem like such a reasonable person with your superior views. Lol.

Everybody else keep shooting and enjoying your freedom.

? you're the one that wanted to have this conversation.

And thanks the next time I go out I'll make sure I really focus on enjoying it. Because, after all, if the High Speed, Low Drag Ken doll stuff continues it will probably result in a legitimate reduction in our ability to enjoy the hobby.

? you're the one that wanted to have this conversation.

And thanks the next time I go out I'll make sure I really focus on enjoying it. Because, after all, if the High Speed, Low Drag Ken doll stuff continues it will probably result in a legitimate reduction in our ability to enjoy the hobby.
Actually you posted BS personal issues in a thread about shooting guns there smart guy. This is last response as I am done giving a negative person my attention. ✌

I took my Agency Arms Glock 19 out and shot my new CGS Suppressor on it for the first time. Pretty awesome experience. See photos below.
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4010.jpg

Latest posts

Back