what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spyderco Para 2 jungle scales M4 steel

What a great knife, smooth action. The V grind on the blade is ground a little farther up the blade than most. It is one of the sharpest out of the box I've seen except maybe Super Blue carbon steel.

My test is computer paper. Most knives will slice through paper. The sharp blades go through with little resistance & less sound. You can slice off little slivers. This blade is sharp.
IMG_20230104_172233723.jpg
IMG_20230104_172406241.jpg
IMG_20230104_172437742.jpg
IMG_20230104_172319387.jpg

You can Bro most folders come with V grind at the cutting edge. Depending on the type of steel & how refined that V grind is affects how sharp the blade is. Eventually of coarse any blade will dull with use no matter how tough the steel. You can't keep sharpening at that same angle, bevel will just get wider over time. I knock the shoulders off the V with coarse stone thin little behind edge with coarse stone till I get a burr. Then put on refined micro bevel. Sharper than any Spyderco I've had out of the box.

Carbon steel is so easy to sharpen that's why love carbon steel. But with a little patience you can get sharp edge on these tougher semi & stainless steels too. At least folder blades are small😁

Appreciate the advice, I’ll have to give the knocking off the shoulders trick a try! I can normally get my knives sharper than spyderco pretty easily, but they definitely took extra time with this model though, it’s the first factory knife I’ve had that could comfortable whittle hair out of the box. Plus I need to get some diamond stones, too vanadium for my regular repertoire I think 🤣

Maybe 5 months ago forget I went through Blade HQ line of Pro Tech automatic knives.
Most were sold out, left my email for several knives interested in. Like I said before you can get Pro Tech with top of the line release & strong plunge lock. They have their different lines in basic black handles same blades same steel as their crazy expensive collector blades. Metal engravings on handles, exotic woods, Damascus, bone, abalone you name it goes into thousands of dollars for some. Like the full size blades different styles in basic format without all the expensive stuff you don't need. Last week emailed that Tactical pro tech I wanted in stock. Received it today.
IMG_20230103_193842368.jpg
IMG_20230103_194308409_HDR.jpg

Things I like the cool three plane geometry same on both sides of blade. Has a safety behind the firing button. It was not that sharp not surprising my Godfather got couple years ago needed sharpening too. Didn't spend too long, started with very course 150 shapton thinned a little till got burr. Then 320, 2K, 5K. It is sharp now.
My Godfather is Black blade couple times sharpened it have kept original V grind because didn't want to mess up the black coating. Just greatly refined original bevel.

My other black coated blade is a KBar marine knife. Years ago used diamond plates 140, 400, 600 atoma's. Finished on JKI diamond stone finally got the darn knife sharp. I wore off a lot of the black coating. Eventually took it all off below top of bevel
IMG_20230105_125312920.jpg
IMG_20230105_125110620.jpg

Both these Pro Tech are in 200.00 dollar range. Might add when using coarse stones I slightly lift blade off stone after each stroke so don't scratch up the nice blade.

I'm really hoping there are a good number of MagnaCut options in 2023.

Wouldn't say no to a non-frn Spyderco with it...

Spyderco Para 2 jungle scales M4 steel

What a great knife, smooth action. The V grind on the blade is ground a little farther up the blade than most. It is one of the sharpest out of the box I've seen except maybe Super Blue carbon steel.

My test is computer paper. Most knives will slice through paper. The sharp blades go through with little resistance & less sound. You can slice off little slivers. This blade is sharp.View attachment 217721View attachment 217723View attachment 217724View attachment 217722
I love this knife...definitely my favorite of the 3 I just purchased.

Yes. K390 has a much higher VC content compared to s30v and sg2. It's 9% vanadium by weight compared to 4% in s30v for example. For that much vanadium carbide, diamond and cbn is a must imo.
Thanks, also have Spyderco in K390 and didn't know this. Also has a magna cut gyuto, I sorely need to add a diamond stone now..

No...I have that exact knife.... I think my Endela is K390.
Sorry I meant the Endela for K390 still thinking of getting the light version blue handle looks like yours.

Yeah that Para M4 next to my older super blue are my two favorite spyderco's.

Someone posted a 3 diamond stone set on this thread. Think they are small plates good enough for folders. My atoma's fit in one of my stone holders. You don't want a plate moving esp. with coarse grits.

Have had JKI 1K diamond stone for some years now has a nagura stone to clean it.
Now I use bar keepers friend with medium bristle fingernail brush to clean it too same as my atoma's.
image.jpg

Sorry I meant the Endela for K390 still thinking of getting the light version blue handle looks like yours.

Yeah that Para M4 next to my older super blue are my two favorite spyderco's.

Someone posted a 3 diamond stone set on this thread. Think they are small plates good enough for folders. My atoma's fit in one of my stone holders. You don't want a plate moving esp. with coarse grits.

Have had JKI 1K diamond stone for some years now has a nagura stone to clean it.
Now I use bar keepers friend with medium bristle fingernail brush to clean it too same as my atoma's.
View attachment 218105

All Endelas will be the "light" version. There is only one design. Unlike other models that have a "standard" and then a Light Weight (LW) model, the base Seki models were all referred to as "light weight" due to their scales and simple designs.

OK guess was looking at Police model too that is not the Endela but larger model still same blue handle. Leaning more towards the Endela A light knife of respectable size, Spyderco quality & super steel as long as you know how to sharpen it. Sounds like a great knife to me.

OK guess was looking at Police model too that is not the Endela but larger model still same blue handle. Leaning more towards the Endela A light knife of respectable size, Spyderco quality & super steel as long as you know how to sharpen it. Sounds like a great knife to me.

As a long time Delica and Endura user, I freakin' love the Endela. It is indeed a great marriage of the two.

Some times when using Spyderco have different types of gloves on. The top to unlock the blade is easier than in the grove where I have to take glove off.

Police model is a bit large for daily use in my experience. The Endela and Delica are my favorite Spyderco sizes, Endela being the preferred for several years running.

When Panda started this thread in early 2015 didn't realize how much information was on it. It's got funny too like when Panda lost his folder in the walk in cooler. Made me realize got my Hap40 Spyderco from here &
started hunting for good automatic switchblades. So influence goes back in this thread. Someone actually had a custom carbon blade put into a Opinel handle. Made me remember a Opinel carbon #12 bought years ago. In mid 2000's when Janice showed me house her antie was leaving her I saw a place high in valley that big yard had been taken over tropical rainforest conditions. Antie in late 90's hadn't been able to do yardwork for years & didn't hire anyone to take care. Vines everywhere climbing everything that was vertical from red ginger, trees even the clothes line. I would go & try to clear stuff out. Lost my Opinel up there. About 2 years later found it in tall weeds & grass. The carbon blade was open & completely rusted. The Handle had spalting perfect conditions for it. Moist, oxygen the light wood of Opinel handle perfect for beautiful fungus patterning. Spalted wood has long been a favorite for wood workers. Stefan Keller had a nice stash from big Island. I made several handles from it. When found the Opinel sanded the rust off the handle pitting was pretty bad. I put on mask sanded the handle, then coated it with coats of tung oil mixed 50/50 with clear bullseye shellac. Then oiled it & thew it in a work drawer in garage. Stuff piled on it forgot about it. Was reading this thread & found it. The handle buffed up. Tip was broken took off some of drop in spine to shape new tip. Then thinned & sharpened it.

At one time was thinking of buying another carbon #12 & switch blades. Never did it.

This blade & handle are one of a kind.
IMG_20230114_122110983.jpg
IMG_20230114_122239755.jpg
IMG_20230114_122142184.jpg
IMG_20230114_122354706_HDR.jpg

It's easy for me to get hooked on folders thread from small kid time always had a pocket knife in my blue jeans.
IMG_20230114_122428863_HDR.jpg

When Panda started this thread in early 2015 didn't realize how much information was on it. It's got funny too like when Panda lost his folder in the walk in cooler. Made me realize got my Hap40 Spyderco from here &
started hunting for good automatic switchblades. So influence goes back in this thread. Someone actually had a custom carbon blade put into a Opinel handle. Made me remember a Opinel carbon #12 bought years ago. In mid 2000's when Janice showed me house her antie was leaving her I saw a place high in valley that big yard had been taken over tropical rainforest conditions. Antie in late 90's hadn't been able to do yardwork for years & didn't hire anyone to take care. Vines everywhere climbing everything that was vertical from red ginger, trees even the clothes line. I would go & try to clear stuff out. Lost my Opinel up there. About 2 years later found it in tall weeds & grass. The carbon blade was open & completely rusted. The Handle had spalting perfect conditions for it. Moist, oxygen the light wood of Opinel handle perfect for beautiful fungus patterning. Spalted wood has long been a favorite for wood workers. Stefan Keller had a nice stash from big Island. I made several handles from it. When found the Opinel sanded the rust off the handle pitting was pretty bad. I put on mask sanded the handle, then coated it with coats of tung oil mixed 50/50 with clear bullseye shellac. Then oiled it & thew it in a work drawer in garage. Stuff piled on it forgot about it. Was reading this thread & found it. The handle buffed up. Tip was broken took off some of drop in spine to shape new tip. Then thinned & sharpened it.

At one time was thinking of buying another carbon #12 & switch blades. Never did it.

This blade & handle are one of a kind. View attachment 219646View attachment 219645View attachment 219643View attachment 219644

It's easy for me to get hooked on folders thread from small kid time always had a pocket knife in my blue jeans.
View attachment 219642
@valgard and @Grit have Opinel's with Raquin blades.

My first knife buy in 2023. Spyderco Endela
IMG_20230103_194941680.jpg

K390. Like the size & light weight of this folder. Not to mention it's good looks😁

OOTB sharpness in the middle M4 para little sharper, K390 sharper than Pro Tech automatic Tactical.

Unlike the Pro Tech Auto that I sharpened right away this knife will use it's sharp enough.

This is my last folder buy for foreseeable future The two Spyderco & Pro Tech are all very nice folders.
IMG_20230103_194920509.jpg
IMG_20230103_195058620.jpg

Kershaw leek, Stainless steel. I added some duct tape on one side because it is otherwise too slippery!

+1 on the kershaw leek. Small enough to carry around without it taking too much pocket real estate and easy enough to sharpen when needed (takes a great edge too). I also carry around a higo when I need something with a smaller/sleeker form factor.

The Fontenille Pataud Laguiole that ordered in December came in today. It took longer because wanted carbon steel blade. They had to make one.

It's a cool blade the bee raises up when you open & close the blade. Comes with form fit leather pouch. Use stones put a really sharp edge on it.

Thanks

Didn't have a edge just finished sharpening it. Shapton pro 320 lifting off stone after each stroke so don't scratch blade. Same with Shapton 2K finishing with Shapton 5K. It's sharp now. Thin a little add micro bevel.

IMG_20230208_111100137.jpg

IMG_20230208_111836314.jpg

Back