What pans are you guys personally using?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no brand carbon steel small fry pan and wok from china

alex pole uk
carbon steel oven skillets all three sizes

blanc creatives
carbon steel pro roaster all three sizes

smithey ironworks
carbon steel oval roaster

santa barbara forge
sonora small and large handled cs pans

kehoe carbon cookware (on order)
11” 10 gauge skillet

finex
cast iron sauce pan

debuyer copper and stainless clad with bronze handles. i forget the size, it’s a small and medium sauce pan and a large roaster.

the rest is my wife’s collection of le creuset. too many to list and stuff i don’t really like due to her choice in colours..

Attachments

• IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The hex pans sound like conventional nonstick with teflon (ptfe). Titanium is marketing, I have pure titanium lightweight pans for camping and they suck. They are fine for boiling water to dump in freeze dried meals. They are not nonstick.

The titanium is presumably a thin layer pvd film a few microns thick on the surface that is titanium nitride or some variant. It would help if they actually state what it is. Its certainly not pure titanium. Here is a link to a random site that does these coatings. They list titanium carbon nitride and titanium aluminum carbon nitride compounds as having low friction. Who knows what it is. I have no experience with any of these compounds in cookware.

I don’t recommend hex class as they use pfo….. we have black cube which is like it but doesn’t use pfoa.
But they most likely will just use the next alternative chemical that's just as bad.
I don’t see the benefit of a nano thin layer of titanium, same with the Hestan titanium, and I doubt if it is truly pure titanium it will be non stick, it’s always better off just get a good stainless sauté pan
There somewhat is. What these kind of pans just like hexclad do is a fairly old concept, where you basically have raised bumps on the surface that your utensils slide over, thereby protecting the surface from scratches.
The downside of course is that it means you have uncoated parts of your pan, and that the rest will still eventually wear out anyway (simply due to heat / thermal cycling).

But they most likely will just use the next alternative chemical that's just as bad.

There somewhat is. What these kind of pans just like hexclad do is a fairly old concept, where you basically have raised bumps on the surface that your utensils slide over, thereby protecting the surface from scratches.
The downside of course is that it means you have uncoated parts of your pan, and that the rest will still eventually wear out anyway (simply due to heat / thermal cycling).
I'm more refer the the Titanium thing in the always pan, for HexClad I've seen their concept years ago, how old are they? 5, 6 years? Here's a similar WMF pan from 9 years ago, and I'm sure ive seen even older one under different brand

I'm more refer the the Titanium thing in the always pan, for HexClad I've seen their concept years ago, how old are they? 5, 6 years? Here's a similar WMF pan from 9 years ago, and I'm sure ive seen even older one under different brand

If it was truly durable they wouldn't have bothered making the same kind of raised ridges...
And yeah this concept has been around for literally decades, it's nothing new. But my guess is most people buying into these kind of things simply don't know any better. Similar to how consumers are easily fooled with 'PFOA free' marketing.

I have tested a number of pan brands (Demeyere, Mauviel, De Buyer, etc.) which, from my experience as an amateur cook, are interesting: being half Norman, I had the chance to acquire Mauviel pans at factory prices (part of my family lives near the factory in Villedieu-les-Poêles, by the way, poêle = pan in English). The M'cook range is a good compromise, the copper one, very expensive, even in France, is interesting for the conductivity of copper which allows for searing meat... It's up to each person to decide if the cost is justified... Less expensive, the de Buyer carbon steel pans are a good alternative. Regarding the model of the pan, if the budget is tight, a pan and especially a very versatile sauté pan can ensure the preparation of many dishes on a daily basis.
Finally, I should mention that I cook with gas, and in most cases, the difficulty in achieving "restaurant-quality" cooking (especially for well-seared, pink, and juicy meat) lies in the limited power of our stovetops (at least in France/EU!).

I had the original always pan and it was trash . It sounded great but it's shape was actually useless. Steaming innit was a joke, it wasn't oven, the lid did not fit well and it was fiddly. I would pass on the titanium version, but made because the advertisement is full of buzz words but lacks real information , which never bodes well.

I don't have first-hand experience with the Hexclad but, by the looks of things, it is absolutely terrible. Combines the worst aspects of stainless steel with the worst aspects of non-stick. You will find plenty of scathing reviews of it on YouTube. Small sample below.

I bought and just received but haven’t yet used the always pan pro titanium coated pan. Probably wouldn’t have bought it had I watched this comprehensive review first.

I can confirm that the construction looks a bit shoddy. Not awful, but not ultra high end. The weird vent for steam seems odd. But I’m not likely to use it other than for searing and cooking fish with skin.

I bought and just received but haven’t yet used the always pan pro titanium coated pan. Probably wouldn’t have bought it had I watched this comprehensive review first.

I can confirm that the construction looks a bit shoddy. Not awful, but not ultra high end. The weird vent for steam seems odd. But I’m not likely to use it other than for searing and cooking fish with skin.

I look forward to your comments and experiences with it.

I look forward to your comments and experiences with it.

you guys should read this...
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/24/dining/instagram-cookware.html

Haven't read the entire thread but I'm big on carbon steel and clad stainless for my daily drivers. I have exactly one nonstick at 8in with German ceramic coating for eggs and okonomiyaki.

I use carbon steel for eggs too, pretty good unless you want Gordon Ramsay styled no brown at all egg
Totally with you for higher temperature egg preparations. I use nonstick for very loose scramble and also omelettes.

Nonstick works, but has no soul. Once I got my coating game down, I switched to cast iron for scrambled eggs (and fried eggs), and that super-thick aluminum omelet pan that Julia Child originally had made out of torpedo tips. I do have the small nonstick one, I got it first, but I was almost grateful to discover that it works best on 1 egg omelets, and I needed the larger size to do 2 egg omelets, so it was OK to order the aluminum one. I love it, and have had no sticking issues, except minor ones the very first time I used it.

Haven't read the entire thread but I'm big on carbon steel and clad stainless for my daily drivers. I have exactly one nonstick at 8in with German ceramic coating for eggs and okonomiyaki.
Pretty much the same. One restaurant grade non-stick egg pan on hand specifically for pretty eggs. Not a requirement, but certainly a convenience.

Back