What type of knife user are you ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3, with occasional 4 tendencies.

The result quality gain is maybe 10-20%, subjectively judged - but one very, very convenient aspect about knives that can be kept razor sharp is how much longer you can store prepared ingredients without them getting fridge tired, which can save hassle and money ...

Solid #3 here, but it's early days yet. Might turn into a 3 & 4. I'm trying to limit the knives to what will fit in the daily-use drawer, which means a one-in, one-out regime for any new ones.

For a few years, I led kayak camping trips as a sideline. I was the cook as well as trip leader. But aside from learning a few things about cooking and presenting food in the wild, and dealing with "difficult" customers, I can't quite claim it as a #1 type experience.

I feel you on the 'trying to limit part'. I find having too much knives tends to complicate things more than it benefits. Don't think I'm very likely to become a collector in that sense... but who knows.
Your experience reminds me... I worked in a large hospital kitchen for a couple of years... but sadly what we did there involved very little real cutting or cooking. At best it was a portioning and reheating plant. :scared4: It was still educative, but in a very different way that isn't really applicable to a normal kitchen.

#1 and not #2

I don’t buy a lot of knives but i use everything I bought. Most used knife are still my hiromoto AS and aritsugu A type. Everything else I just rotate or base on mood.
Can’t justify for a custom handle or Saya unless it’s included already as I am in Australia so not too keen on sending my knives around the world. Also I don’t have the patience to wait months/year because of the queue.

3, for a short while 1, but back to 3, and now all the rejects are starting to pile up at home making a 4 tendency.

Super interesting group here. I thought there would be more 3’s. I guess, the 3’s wouldn’t even join a forum about knifes.

I rarely eat out anymore. Makes me fat and poorer. Both piss me off.

I bought a Japanese’s gyoto, that I don’t use that often. I’m always bashing on knifes. That knife just feels to thin and light.

It’s my goto salad maker tho. And fish stuff. Nice to mess with fish with light and thin.

Change over time...
Ex-#1. Then a #3. Then a #4. Now back to #3 again.

2. I use every knife i have ever purchased at work and hope for the best possible performance, but i also like things to look nice (in my eyes)

Sounds like you may need to open a Dalman's "2nd/Deuxieme choix/whatever in Swedish" Outlet Store for this issue! I bet those little beauties would fly fly away ... both parties happy as a clam ... and clam's are very very happy after all!

now all the rejects are starting to pile up at home making a 4 tendency.

OP - sorry for the segue!

So many 4s in denial.

Maybe, but see.. I have a magic shield for staying at the #3 level and not falling too far down the #4 rabbit hole. And that is, I don't really like gyutos.

(gasp, horror! revoke this guy's membership!)

I just never bonded with the whole "chef's knife" thing. I use a nakiri and a long petty knife for 95% of my cooking, and there just aren't that many high-end choices out there. I already own a couple of expensive/nice ones in each category, and that's enough until I see something better.

I do keep an eye out, and will doubtless pick up a few new knives eventually and rotate ones I have out. But 'ya know, people aren't making ultra high-end nakiri and petty knives. That's gyuto/suji/yana territory, so I'm saving some money and drawer space here.

about 70-80% 3 and some 4. I use all my knives, sharpen all my knives, polish them all so I like to make them look pretty now and then but many look like **** from always being a work in progress.

I pretty much go by the "one in, one out" rule- I like everything to fit in a drawer. I've got six knives that get a lot of use- big carbon cleaver, stainless wa petty, smaller stainless cleaver, bread knife, heavy-duty carbon cleaver, cheapo paring. Well, the bread knife doesn't get a ton of use, but it is handy when you need one. I tried to like gyutos, but they just don't seem to call to me. That said, I've got a small pile of "still need to sell" knives- a Tojiro santoku, an old cleaver, maybe a German paring knife.

Maybe, but see.. I have a magic shield for staying at the #3 level and not falling too far down the #4 rabbit hole. And that is, I don't really like gyutos.
That's ok. I expect it's because you were never trained on a chef's knife and you prefer smaller knives. You've probably spent a lot of time in small kitchens without much space too.

I use a nakiri and a long petty knife for 95% of my cooking, and there just aren't that many high-end choices out there. I already own a couple of expensive/nice ones in each category
Probably a Kurosaki and Yoshikazu nakiri.

:whistling:

I do keep an eye out, and will doubtless pick up a few new knives eventually and rotate ones I have out. But 'ya know, people aren't making ultra high-end nakiri and petty knives. That's gyuto/suji/yana territory, so I'm saving some money and drawer space here.
Nah, you're doing a good job. You could waste, sorry, invest more on nakiris and petties if you want to.

my bad, have a couple knives I’ve not used yet.

competition-judge-holding-a-score-card-AKTE7K.jpg

Probably a #1

A few weeks ago I knocked off an ebony handle and replaced it with ho/horn.

That's ok. I expect it's because you were never trained on a chef's knife and you prefer smaller knives. You've probably spent a lot of time in small kitchens without much space too.

True enough for the first 50 years. Although, for the last 15 years I've home-cooked in what is really a dream kitchen. Designed it from scratch using a CAD program. Plenty of space, huge maple block island in the middle with a cutting zone near a bar sink. But with the food I cook for the two of us at home, plus occasional guests and family visitors, I just don't need to massacre large product where something like a 240+ Gyuto would make sense. Size the knife to the food, yeah?

Probably a Kurosaki and Yoshikazu nakiri.

:whistling:

Bingo! :laugh:

Nah, you're doing a good job. You could waste, sorry, invest more on nakiris and petties if you want to.

Oh, sure. I'm tempted by one of the "tall" nakiris at CKTG, but that's a slippery slope to a Chinese cleaver. And then where would I be? Sell off everything and just use one knife? Nah... I'll put that off as long as possible!

Who had that damn signature about good tools not making you better, but making you practice? Straight in the face of who made that "4's in denial" statement :)

3/4, I use all of my knives, looking for the best performers and fit for me, and also appreciate well made and good looking tools. I am an explorer and experimenter at heart and knives are perfect for that.

Ebony is heavy and slippery. Hard to beat a ho/horn handle for feel and practicality.

I just wish it was easy to find nice ho (or even burnt chestnut) handles. I have a few more ebony handled knives that need downgrading.

Back