Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck confit and Char Siu with greens, tomato, and garlic confit.
IMG_2726.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_20190410_135014_805.jpeg

There was a Cha Siu brainwave that swept the globe ? Because thats what I packed my son yesterday

One of these days I'll be able to plate like you.
Thank you! I was actually a little disappointed with the presentation. It's unbalanced and a bit too cramped on the plate, and there is too much spice dust, IMO.

Unfortunately, I have all the visual art skills of a three-year old. If you ask me to draw you a person, if you are lucky, you'll be able say that "this drawing probably shows a stick figure, although I'm not entirely sure" :( This doesn't stop me from recognising when something looks good, though. Go figure…

Cooking stuff so it tastes good is easy for me. Making it look good is much, much harder.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was actually a little disappointed with the presentation. It's unbalanced and a bit too cramped on the plate, and there is too much spice dust, IMO.

Unfortunately, I have all the visual art skills of a three-year old. If you ask me to draw you a person, if you are lucky, you'll be able say that "this drawing probably shows a stick figure, although I'm not entirely sure" :( This doesn't stop from recognising when something looks good, though. Go figure…

Cooking stuff so it tastes good is easy for me. Making it look good is much, much harder.

Count me in the crowd of I don’t give two farts how it looks if it tastes amazing. And that looks awesome.

Cantonese Comfort Food 101!

Salty fish fried rice.

Attachments

• 170D1DBC-9E78-4DED-8840-5117AB821741.jpeg
    170D1DBC-9E78-4DED-8840-5117AB821741.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 42
If theres one thread they need to unlock the LIKE button, this thread is a leading candidate. Love salted fish fried rice, but im not sure about the neighbours

Got inspired by @boomchakabowwow because I was curious. Never heard of that version of fried rice before, and my wok hasn't had a workout for a while. Used this recipe, slightly modified for what I had around:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/fried-rice-salty-fish-and-broccoli

Came out very nice. I found some salted dried fish at a big Chinese shopping centre (not dry like stockfish or bonito, but still with some give in it). Initially, I was aghast at how extremely salty it was when I tried a little. But, after cutting it up small and soaking it in hot water for an hour, much of saltiness disappeared, and it was just pleasantly salty and fishy.

Will go a little easier on the white pepper next time. That "pinch" I added was more like a quarter teaspoon, which put things on the decidedly peppery side.

IMG_2742.jpg

Got inspired by @boomchakabowwow because I was curious. Never heard of that version of fried rice before, and my wok hasn't had a workout for a while. Used this recipe, slightly modified for what I had around:

Came out very nice. I found some salted dried fish at a big Chinese shopping centre (not dry like stockfish or bonito, but still with some give in it). Initially, I was aghast at how extremely salty it was when I tried a little. But, after cutting it up small and soaking it in hot water for an hour, much of saltiness disappeared, and it was just pleasantly salty and fishy.

Will go a little easier on the white pepper next time. That "pinch" I added was more like a quarter teaspoon, which put things on the decidedly peppery side.

View attachment 51708
Not looking for a son anymore I have two, but wouldn't mind a daughter or two.

Good job on the fried rice, fwiw, to lessen the saltiness fishiness of the salted fish one can steamnit firstbwith rice wine, ginger and green onions first

Not looking for a son anymore I have two, but wouldn't mind a daughter or two.
Pity. With lunches like that, I would have volunteered in an instant :)

Good job on the fried rice, fwiw, to lessen the saltiness fishiness of the salted fish one can steamnit firstbwith rice wine, ginger and green onions first
Thanks for that. That should add some more flavour to the fish as well. Will give this a try next time!

Potato Shakshuka. Went a little too heavy on the harissa. Good thing the feta helped cool it off :D

shak.jpg

View attachment 51708
That is badass! I too went heavy on the white pepper. And oddly enough, could have used more salt. :)

When I lived in Hong Kong salted fish fried rice was always with diced chicken and scallions - ham yu gai lup chow fun.

If your salted fish is too salty it was probably fermented (mei xiang). This type is used in small quantities as a seasoning.
You can also get a type that is air dried (not fermented) which is less salty and can actually be eaten steamed on it's own.

Another great dish using salted fish is a steamed meatloaf (jing yuk bang).

Last edited:
When I lived in Hong Kong salted fish fried rice was always with diced chicken and scallions - ham yu gai lup chow fun.

If your salted fish is too salty it was probably fermented (mei xiang). This type is used in mall quantities as a seasoning.
You can also get a type that is air dried (not fermented) which is less salty and can actually be eaten steamed on it's own.

Another great dish using salted fish is a steamed meatloaf (jing yuk bang).
It should always have chicken in it. I skipped it. I was too lazy to thaw some freshly killed wild turkey.

It’s my first time making it. I’ve eaten gobs of it.

White pepper is kinda a weird one, most places sell very light tasting white pepper. My Indonesia spice dealer recommended me some of the "real stuff" she calls it, and its crazy strong it only needs a pinch, 1/4 tsp will kill almost any dish.

It's surprisingly easy to go heavy with white pepper.
Agreed :) Probably because it's white and, subconsciously, looks less menacing than black pepper. This is the one I picked up at the Asian supermarket:
IMG_2744.JPG
Ah, I had no idea that chicken is supposed to be part of it. Will do that next time. (Yes, I'm sure I'll cook this again, it really had a nice flavour.)

If your salted fish is too salty it was probably fermented (mei xiang). This type is used in small quantities as a seasoning.
I asked an older Chinese man who works at the shop for the right kind of salted fish for fried rice. He handed me something labelled "Dried Mergui Salted Fish". Quite a small piece, around 3 by 4 inches, a little under half an inch thick, weight 150 g. A silvery skin with somewhat coarse scale pattern was still on there. (I left that on because it was soft.)

I cut it up into about ¼" cubes before soaking and very briefly fried it towards the end of frying the veggies, before tossing the rice into the wok.

I have no idea whether that's the right kind of fish. But I definitely liked the result :)

Zongzi filled with pork belly, Lup Chong, peanuts, and cured duck egg yolk.

I used banana leaves because bamboo leaves were out of stock at the Asian supermarket. I don't think I'll do that again. For one, they are quite fragile, and getting the parcels wrapped up without tears can be an exercise in frustration. Second, banana leaves leach a lot more chlorophyll, so you end up with a greenish surface. It doesn't affect the taste, but does affect the aesthetics.

IMG_2747.JPG

Last edited:

I used banana leaves because bamboo leaves were out of stock at the Asian supermarket. I don't think I'll do that again. For one, they are quite fragile, and getting the parcels wrapped up without tears can be an exercise in frustration. Second, banana leaves leach a lot more chlorophyll, so you end up with a greenish surface. It doesn't affect the taste, but does affect the aesthetics.

View attachment 51753
Impressive, even some hardcore asians dont make Zong from scratch! They look great too

View attachment 51753

Oh man, you are now my favorite human.

Thanks :) It's a labour-intensive dish. Getting the rice and fillings ready takes no time at all. But the wrapping takes quite a while. Thereafter, it's just letting them simmer for about eight hours in a big pot of water.

They do taste a little better than the store-bought ones when they are fresh like this. But, to be honest, if you like Zongzi, the easiest way to enjoy them is to buy them at your Asian market and stick them into a steamer for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Now have you ever battered and deep fried one before? Get ready to get your socks blown off! Serve with white sugar and/or sweet soya sauce

Now have you ever battered and deep fried one before? Get ready to get your socks blown off! Serve with white sugar and/or sweet soya sauce
What?! Wow!!!

These ones are savoury, so I'm not so sure about the white sugar. (I could see that working with Zongzi with red bean paste though.) Sweet soy sauce, yes, that definitely would work in well with the other flavours.

What kind of batter?

Latest posts

Back